Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame pump?

Frame pump?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The frame pump on my road bike is super light but not so easy to work with. I'm thinking of replacing it. Any really good ones out there worth looking at?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The Road Morph is a good pump, and has a built-in gage. Also worth considering is a traditional-style frame-fit pump, the kind where you match the length to your bike frame. These are long enough to make pumping easier, and put you in an easy pumping position holding one end of the pump on the valve while you use both arms and a long stroke to force air in.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I got so annoyed with my pump falling off because of Illinois' crappy roads, I switched to CO2 cartridges. They're expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new pump several times a year.

Electra Townie 7D

For a mini pump there are some now that have a flexible retractable hose with a screw on presta head which works well for getting more comfortable hand positions when pumping. I have a Lezyne with a flexible hose that can be used both as a CO2 inflator or a hand pump. I use the pump to get a little air in the tube before I put it in the tire and then the CO2 to inflate. It takes a few minutes to use just the pump to inflate. I keep a few CO2 cartridges and the pump in my saddle bag....my lbs recycles the cartridges so i take them in when replacing them.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-07-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I use the Road Morph and love it. I use 2-3 velcro straps to hold it onto the frame and (knocking on wood) haven't lost it in many years of riding crappy roads.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I think the Road Morph is what I have as well. It is relatively easy to to pump up a tire to full pressure with it. Highly recommended.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I think the Road Morph is what I have as well. It is relatively easy to to pump up a tire to full pressure with it. Highly recommended.
    That is the one I had and it was a good size/easy to use.

Another vote for the Road Morph with the gauge (they also make a version without a gauge, or at least used to. I don't know how accurate the gauge is, but it's kind of handy to have.)

I also have the Zefal HPX frame pump on a couple of my bikes, and like it a lot.

Unless our floor pump is right next to my bike, I'll use whatever's on that bike--the Road Morph or the Zefal--to top off my tires before a ride, rather than have to walk a few steps (or even as far as another room!) to get the floor pump. Both pumps make it easy to get up to full pressure, though I don't go above about 90psi, so it might be more work getting to 120 or something if you run higher pressures.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

I had a couple of road morphs; one fell off when I was leading a ride, and then, when I got my Kuota in 2008, it didn't fit the frame. I guess it was fine for a frame pump. I've never been comfortable changing a flat, won't go into that, but I had to start carrying CO2. I now have Gatorskins on both of my bikes and I haven't had a flat in 3-4 years, the last time being when I was on a ride with Hirakukibou.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I had gatorskins for a while. When I got my current road bike, I used the Bontrager tires that came with it and found them to be quite puncture resistant. Then when I got new Mavic wheels, they came with Mavic tires which also have been puncture resistant. These are the tires that I'm about to replace. I really need to do it tonight, since I'm helping to lead an all-class club ride that's scheduled for tomorrow morning and the decision on canceling it due to craptastic weather won't be made until 6 am. (Personally I'm ready to make the decision now and just cancel it, but it's not up to me.) Anyway the new tires are Conti Grand Prix something or other. I bought them because they were recommended on some tire threads here. I hope they're as puncture-resistant as the other tires I've had recently. I've really been very lucky because I've had to stop plenty of times while riding companions fixed flats but rarely have had to deal with them myself. (Well actually it's more than just luck, I prioritize puncture resistance while some other people I know prefer soft supple tires that are really thin and get holes in them if you just look at them the wrong way.)

I need to get to REI to return something and I plan to look for the Road Morph when I'm there. They have the regular Road Morph and a Mini Road Morph -- maybe the mini is the one without the gauge. I actually think a gauge would be useful.

Thanks!!

Gone but not forgotten:

My older Davidson fixie has a pump peg braze-on under the top tube. I use an older 80's silca frame pump, painted the color of the bike, with a campy presta head. Looks interesting and pumps well too, old style leather plunger gasket (which are still available) and all . It’s the only frame pump I’ve used instead of a mini pump and/or CO2. The pump peg and campy head holds it very securely to the bike.

Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Yep that's the one I planned to look for.

Rebecca that is a nice pump/frame setup. I have friends who would be jealous.

Gone but not forgotten:

Rebecca, that is gorgeous!

Electra Townie 7D

I almost replied to your first mention of the flats in April rides with "how 'bout a Road MOrph..." though Rebecca's beautiful setup would be nice, too...