Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: April rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Rode 25 miles today, to Carlisle and back the long way. We had a vicious headwind on the way out, until we stopped for a break at Ferns. However, as soon as we got back on our bikes, starting the return trip, we had one of the strongest tailwinds I've ever had on a ride. Mostly, on this route, it's a crosswind. We were flying down Lowell Rd, and even after we rode through Concord Center and slightly changed our direction, we were able to maintain a good pace for me. First ride in shorts this year (I generally keep my knees covered until it's close to 70-75) and I had my arm warmers off after 6 miles. I need new ones. Which ever one I wear on my left side keeps falling down, and I know I don't put the same one on every time! They are Shebeest, women's x-smalls, with nice silicone grippers at the top, only 2 years old. They don't look stretched out. I know my right and left sides are kind of uneven, but this is weird and driving me crazy. It took me a long time to find women's x-smalls, and they are not too big. Anyway, my average was really good, I guess because of the tailwind, but I was able to maintain it through some small climbs at the end, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I finally got out for a ride on Wednesday after nearly two weeks of no riding (weather, family obligations, and general busy-ness). The first mile in, I noticed my computer wasn't registering, so DH and I stopped to resolve that. Finally removed the battery and put it back in after nothing else worked, and that did it!

Soon thereafter, I noticed DH wasn't where he usually is early on in this ride in the neighborhoods around my mom's house. We ride some together and some apart but generally pass each other fairly often on the loops we do. Finally saw him coming up behind me, and he told me that he had been having pedal issues, but I thought that he'd resolved whatever it was. He was heading over to this one area where we warm up, and I was heading to the place where we ride the bulk of our miles. I had forgotten to bring my phone along on this ride, which I never do, so we couldn't stay in touch. He never made it to the main area. So, an hour in, I headed back to Mom's only to find DH back in his street clothes doing some weeding in her garden. Seems his pedal situation was bad enough that he had to head back, as he couldn't stay clipped in. Bummer!

He urged me to finish my ride, so I headed back out for another 1/2 hour, and we ordered new cleats for him (Speedplay Zeros) when we got back. I got in 20 miles on a very pretty, breezy day, temps in the 60s to 70s.

The new cleats arrived today, and he installed them, so we'll try again tomorrow and hopefully have better luck all around!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Went out after lunch and had a hard, but pleasant 30 mile ride with lots of climbs. We rode to Bolton, near the winery (didn't stop, since it was after lunch), a different way, involving some hills I haven't done in awhile, including the one that goes by my old school. It's really sunny and about 59-60 out, with a breeze, my favorite kind of riding weather. We purposely kept the first 3/4 of the ride at our "touring" pace, and it was enjoyable. The last climb was the one I did on the hard group ride 2 weeks ago. We planned the last part of the ride on flat, slightly downhill roads, which was good, but it's main roads, with lots of traffic. Nothing I am not used to, but kind of a shock after riding in country like settings for 20 miles. We actually pushed the pace during this part of the ride, which was fun, but now I am a bit ready to rest! It's going to be raining tomorrow and Tuesday, so no riding until Wednesday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Saguaro’s and sunsets ftw Sharon!!!

Glad to be home after a week away. Did a pilates class at 6 this morning and then rode to Redondo Beach on the beach bike path for breakfast with a friend. Then we met up with two other friends for a 51 mile route into the hills of the Palos Verdes peninsula. The peninsula has climbing that’s only bettered in the Santa Monica mountains in this area. Plus it’s easier to get to and has lots of wide shoulders or bike lanes and well paved roads. We stopped by the Point Vicente Lighthouse for a stretch, fluid, nutrition break and the ocean views. Perfect weather today, overcast during the morning, temps starting in the middle 60’s and ending in the low 70’s when I got back home……did I say it’s good to be home

….................and game of thrones ftw!!!!!!!

Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-24-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

20 miles again today, but my cyclocomputer was once again not working, so DH has to look at it. The display is fine (so I don't think it's the battery), but no time or mileage registers, and fiddling with the pick-up magnet on the wheel does nothing. At least I've ridden this route enough that I know how long it takes me to ride 20 miles.

A very nice day in the upper 60s to low 70s, sunshine, and not too much wind. Traffic picked up when church let out, and in this conservative southern city, you could set your watch by the after-church traffic!

This was my last ride in NC for this visit. We are starting our trek west on Tuesday!
    Emily

safe traveling and the finding good roads to ride emily!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Wow, Rebecca! I really need to move back to CA. Gorgeous photo!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Well, for a work week, I sure got a lot of miles in! I did a second commute to work Friday, 37 miles around the east side of Tucson on Saturday and Sunday did my first ride of the year to Summerhaven atop Mt. Lemmon. Having a cycling guest has certainly pushed the miles, along with the commutes. 151 miles since last Monday; and about 90 on the weekend before that.

Mt. Lemmon temps were beautiful, just a little cool on the descents, but for some reason my digestive system got cranky. I think I waited too long to eat (almost 2 hours) and then ate a chunk of our home-made fruit/nut bar (pan forte). I've never had trouble with it but yesterday I just felt like I had a knot in my system. I took extra rests including one where I just lay down at a rest stop. Our guest from Montreal was riding ahead, but my husband was doing some running and moving the car up the mountain so I had the option of taking a ride. I toughed it out and felt better once I hit the short down hill stretch at around mile 21. I must have been compensating for something because my left hip/lower back/ thigh is complaining. Fortunately I have a massage scheduled for Thursday. No rides until then because of work and weather.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    safe traveling and the finding good roads to ride emily!!!!!
    Thanks! Looking forward to seeing some different areas. The neighborhood loops around here, while pretty, are getting pretty boring.
    Emily

Did a 37 mile ride with my group today. Beautiful day, sunny, about 60 at the end, but it was supposed to be about 47 at the start and it ended up being about 55. So, I made a slight mistake in my mid layer, too warm, and I should have worn a vest, not a jacket. I made do with taking off my head cover and glove liners, and unzipping, but we stopped with 4.5 miles left, to wait for the sweep, and I had to take my light long fingered gloves off. Of course, I was obsessing about crashing and ripping up my hands, but all was well. It helped, too, because I was really overheating.
    This ride starts with a moderate climb, then goes through a state park, and lots of marshland, conservation land, etc. Very quiet roads, with a stop at a farm stand at mile 17. Then there is a steeper hill. It's the kind of ride you think is flat, but it actually had 1,800 ft. of climbing. I don't ride much in this area, north of Boston, but it's rural to suburban.
    There was only one group today, and I try to stay at the back of the faster people, because I do not want to be around the squirrelly ones. There was one guy (always a guy) who rode about my speed, who was driving me nuts on the hills, when I dropped him, and then he would speed up to pass me. I was totally grossed out when we stopped about 10 miles from the end, and he spit on the road right by my foot . He was, let's say, not too appetizing to ride behind, either, but I will try not to be judgmental. The spitting did it for me.
    We didn't get done until 1:40, so I headed home instead of going to the lunch.
    Last edited by Crankin; 04-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Leaving tomorrow for a company retreat for the next 4 days so I decided to do an afternoon ride into the San Gabriel mountains with my friend Alex from Azusa and some riders she knows from Caltech. Left from Caltech and rode to Chantry Flats road in Sierra Madre. Only a 28 mile total ride but with a long constant 7 to 9% climb to the end of Chantry Flats road at the trailhead to Sturtevant Falls. Great descent back to Sierra Madre with high 40’s on some stretches and without pedaling once except for starting again after some stops for photography. Overcast for most of the ride with some clouds that could have rained but thinking we were just blessed instead.
    Enjoyed meeting her friends and had a good time with them on the ride and an early dinner after.

Did a nice 26 mile ride to the Grist Mill in Sudbury (that I mentioned in the local festival thread), which is now much closer than it used to be... we planned a 30 mile route based on a ride we used to lead, but going in the opposite direction. I had my arm warmers off in 3 miles... lovely day. We stopped, took pictures, noticed people who must have taken a country drive, out from the city, because they were wearing heavy sweaters, scarves, and boots! Love being inland at this time of year. At mile 18, we stopped for a snack break, when the sky got cloudy, the temperature went down, and the wind whipped up. We decided to bag the end of the ride, the way it was planned, as it was pretty much in places we ride in a lot. So, back home on Rt. 117, in a headwind, and lots of traffic. The sun did come out again, but it stayed cool, and thankfully, I put my arm warmers on again when we stopped. My quads are feeling it a bit, mostly from running yesterday, but I have been stretching and using the foam roller all day, so it will be fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grist - 1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	18011
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura