Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Like Crankin we are in zip up/zip down/zip up again weather around here. Saturday started with rain and conversational snow, then the sun came out and the winds kicked up. Which would have been fine if it was January. Overnight we had a hard freeze, and it was 36F when I woke up to get ready for the bike ride I intended to do. It was a ride with a club that I'm not a member of, a pretty far drive from home, but in the same area as the upcoming Tour de Cure so it would have been good training for that. However it was also my shakedown ride with the new tires, in an area I'm not at all familiar with, and with people I don't know. I wasn't expecting a problem with the new tires but I didn't want to risk being stranded alone or having to bother people I didn't know if there was a mechanical. Adding that to the cold air I decided to just go back to sleep and ride on my own in the afternoon after the temp got into the low 50s.

Then of course I frittered about as I usually do, and didn't end up starting my ride until after 2 pm. I chose a 30 mile route that I used to do all the time when I mostly rode by myself. There are two proper hills, short but steep, plus several long false flats, the kind of gradual inclines that drive me nuts. To add to the challenge I decided to do each real hill twice. I also detoured and explored a bit to add miles. In the end I rode 35 miles with about the same amount of climbing as the previous weekend. The first steep hill was only 4 miles into the ride which guaranteed that my legs would be tired until the end. As for the weather -- it was really cold in the public parking garage so I put on three extra layers (wool shrug, windbreaker, wind vest). After riding in the sun a few miles I took off the jacket and vest, then 2 minutes later put the vest back on again. Then spent several miles feeling like I was either too warm or too cold. Luckily after that I settled into a rhythm, or maybe the sun was at just the right angle, so I was never perfectly comfortable but not really uncomfortable either. With plenty of zipping and unzipping the vest as the terrain changed and I moved in and out of the shade.

Overall it was an enjoyable ride, with the exception of the idiot in the silver Honda who nearly right-hooked me a few miles from the end. I barely managed to stop in time. After making the turn she stopped in the middle of the road. This being Virginia, I figured it was a 50/50 chance that she was either contemplating her mistake and learning from it or reaching for her gun to finish me off. So I yelled from a distance and rode on. I was pleased with how quickly I was able to stop shaking and calm down.

Then last night I went out for my weekly hill ride. It went well -- for the first time in weeks my legs didn't feel exhausted from start to finish. Of course I added in a couple of additional hills so they were plenty tired by the end. In all I rode almost 19 miles. Again temps were in the 50s, from 59 at the start to 50 at the end. Again I started out with an extra layer, removed it after a couple of miles, did lots of zipping/unzipping of my fleece jersey, put the vest back on for the last few miles. Perhaps April should be the month when we celebrate the inventor of the zipper.

Last night I tried out a new pair of Endura tights that I recently picked up, because my old Sugoi Midzero tights are starting to look a bit ragged. The Endura tights have no fleecy inside -- they're more like shorts material that goes down to your ankles. But they were warm enough for last night and they have great reflective stuff all over them for night rides.

The Conti GPs are working well so far. They are harder than my old tires, I think -- I feel the bumps more at the same psi. So I'm experimenting with a lower pressure. I did have one mechanical failure last night -- my Light and Motion headlight refused to turn on even though the battery was fully charged. It was a backup, since I also had my Bontrager headlight with me, so no crisis. After I got home I was able to get the L&M to turn on, but I think there must be something wrong with the switch. Both headlights have short battery lives at the highest power output so during dark winter night rides I end up using both of them. Luckily with summer's later sunsets on the horizon I can get by with the just Bontrager for now.
    Last edited by ny biker; 04-14-2016 at 12:26 PM.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Did a very short (11.5 mile) ride with DH when he got home. It is just beautiful out, getting warmer each day. Just a bit of residual soreness from my ride Wednesday, followed by circuit training yesterday. Going to ride about 30 miles tomorrow, to test a ride we are leading /14. We did the same route last year, but I don't have it totally memorized. It's close, so we will ride to the start.
    Sunday doing hills in Harvard and Bolton with our friends. I think the ride is about 35 miles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We had our annual "running the red lights" event today, a.k.a., the Salt Lake City Marathon Bike Tour. So nice to have every intersection blocked off for us and never having to stop! All week we were watching the weather, wondering if it would rain today (we rode it in the cold rain several years ago and will. not. do. that. again). But the forecast kept improving and it was dry - albeit cold (ave temp 37°F / 3°C). Always a challenge to drag ourselves out of bed at oh-dark-thirty for the 6 a.m. start. My toes froze despite my toe covers and it took my fingers about 10 miles to thaw. The road surface for the first half of the course was in bad shape in many places. And I still hate the part through Memory Grove, although I'm guessing the runners love it. It's just scary to do it in the (almost) dark. We got passed by the first handcycle (who started 20 min after the bikes) at about mile 14 - that guy was booking it, amazing! All in all we did enjoy the event again this year - and they do have beautiful medals!

Running the red lights by DutchRosie, on Flickr

likes not having to stop at all intersections sounds like a nice ride bikedutchess!!!

Doing the Coachella music festival this weekend and despite a late night of music/fun yesterday I did an early morning ride into the San Jacinto Mountains cuz today and tomorrow are going to be filled with even more day and late night craziness. It was good to get some hard exercise in and be in the beauty of these mountains for a few hours. Morning temps in the high 60’s to 70’s. only 36 miles but with some good climbing. Got back and jumped into the Jacuzzi, ate a great breakfast with my friends and now relaxing before going back to the festival in a couple of hours.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Did 27.5 miles with DH, most of it a test run of our New Member's Ride on 5/14. We didn't change it from last year, we rode to the start and then did not do the last little part, as we headed back home at an appropriate place. There's a really strong wind today, but still beautiful out in terms of temperature and sun. It was about 60 during most of the ride. Of course, we saw our friends, riding in the other direction at one point... with all of the roads to ride on, this happens on a regular basis and we just laugh.
    I did not feel very zippy, my quads hurt, but I chalked it up to the wind. Tomorrow's ride is going to be close to 50 miles, as we are changing the start point and riding to the start. Might as well get that first 50 miler in now. About 2K feet of climbing, too. Monday is a holiday here and it's going to be 70 out. Hope my legs are OK to ride...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm enjoying everyone's ride summaries.

Tuesday: one way commute after being dropped off in the morning... uh-oh, the annoying tap, tap, tap-tap....tap... tap was back. The first two trips to the bike shop hadn't fixed it. No sound when I was standing in the pedals and they agreed the seat might be involved and replaced the Ruby saddle with an Oura. This actually made me happy because the Ruby was little too minimal for me... but didn't solve the problem apparently.
    So Thursday, just 4 miles round trip to another bike shop- for a "second opinion". Nothing definite, maybe the saddle/seat post.... but they said just take it back to the shop that sold it to me. Feeling like a pest, but frustrated, I called and they said bring it in. More messing around and lubing the seat post and rails....

Today- finally a real ride... and YES! the noise is gone!! 45 miles out to Colossal Cave Rd/ Pistol Hill east of Tucson and no problems. Except that the wind was from the west the whole day and that meant a head wind most of the way back. At least it was in the 15 mph range and not the 20-30 mph range (with gusts to 40) that blew through here on Friday. Temps were very pleasant.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

First real long ride of the year. It ended up being 45.7 miles, as we took a slightly shorter way home. 2,200 ft. of climbing. We rode to Bolton Orchards for lunch, a slightly different way, which involved lots of hills, ones I am usually riding down!
    After lunch was the usual, a long slog up Still River Rd to the Fruitlands in Harvard, then heading toward home. It was about 67 today, I took my arm warmers off, so I guess it's the first short sleeved ride of the year. I felt really good for most of the ride, although the first 2 hills were tough. MY average was slightly higher than the hard ride I did Wednesday, so I am OK.
    ETA: The ride had 2,400 ft. of climbing... and my legs feel incredibly good today. Walked to the gym (the long way, 1.5 miles), did my power lifting class, and walked home. It was 38 degrees when I went there and 70 when I came home, all within a bit less than 2 hours. Probably will go for a little recovery ride later.
    Last edited by Crankin; 04-18-2016 at 06:20 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Doing some work in the San Joaquin valley this week. When I scheduled it I worked in a ride into the southwestern Sierra Nevada’s for yesterday….and to help refocus from a great weekend’s activities…my ride Saturday morning was a good precursor for the climbing on this ride. Beautiful mountains with redwoods, incredible canyons and towering granite peaks. Started and ended in Three Rivers Ca. Long 21 miles of initial climbing to 6300 ft then another 15+ oscillating between 6000 to 7500+ feet until the top of my ride. Well paved roads and switchbacks, very little traffic this time of year and lots of spots to get water made for a good ride too. Temps dropped into the low 60’s about half way up the initial climb, which was perfect for the harder climbing. It was 82 on the valley floor in Three Rivers when I got back. Because of the scenery I stopped more than usual to stretch, drink some water, sit and take in the beauty and quiet peace of the mountains. I enjoyed the ride back down with taking the time to do some photography too.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Beautiful photos, thank you! Such a fabulous place to visit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crankin, it sounds like you had a great ride, and I'm sure walking to the gym the next day helped your recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Love the photos, as always

Best of intentions were thrown aside yesterday, when I woke up with a pounding sinus headache. I ended up doing a short 14 mile ride in the afternoon, where the first 5 miles felt horrible and the rest were quite pleasant. We are having great weather.
    Had a lovely dinner with Oakleaf and her DH last night, so I gave myself permission to skip circuit training at 5:45 AM. I rode to work this morning, which was pleasant at 45 degrees. It should be about 70 when I ride home. It might be only 6 miles round trip, but it is definitely a mood enhancer.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Doing some work in the San Joaquin valley this week. When I scheduled it I worked in a ride into the southwestern Sierra Nevada’s for yesterday….and to help refocus from a great weekend’s activities…my ride Saturday morning was a good precursor for the climbing on this ride. Beautiful mountains with redwoods, incredible canyons and towering granite peaks. Started and ended in Three Rivers Ca. Long 21 miles of initial climbing to 6300 ft then another 15+ oscillating between 6000 to 7500+ feet until the top of my ride. Well paved roads and switchbacks, very little traffic this time of year and lots of spots to get water made for a good ride too. Temps dropped into the low 60’s about half way up the initial climb, which was perfect for the harder climbing. It was 82 on the valley floor in Three Rivers when I got back. Because of the scenery I stopped more than usual to stretch, drink some water, sit and take in the beauty and quiet peace of the mountains. I enjoyed the ride back down with taking the time to do some photography too.
    So beautiful! Looks like such a great ride!

I did ride home from work a longer way, a whole total of 5.6 miles. As I was just leaving the parking area, I saw a cyclist cross the highway and turn off on the road I ride home on. I didn't give it another thought, until after I made the decision to go home the longer way. There is a kind of annoying small hill on this road; I was feeling good, so I did the first part in the big ring and then kind of pooped out, so as I downshifted and crested the hill, I saw the cyclist who had crossed the highway, maybe 5-8 minutes earlier. She was seriously ahead of me, but it spurred me on. I got closer to her, but I didn't think I could catch her. So, this is one of those New England roads, where if you follow the road, it bears right and keeps the name, and if you stayed on the road and went straight, the name changes, counter intuitive to what is normal anywhere else. I went to the right, which connects to a road that comes out less than a mile from the condo. The woman slowed after the turn, I guess, because before I knew it, I had dropped her. This never happens to me, especially on a commute. But, for some reason, I was inspired to keep the speed up. I felt like I had a workout for a short amount of riding and was actually sweaty when I got home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Two commute rides this week- yesterday and today. 9.5 miles each way on the new and improved bike pat, which mostly goes along the (dry) Pantano river wash and through the desert. Last night we also did a full moon ride at Saguaro N. Park.