Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

bikeshare expectations

To disable ads, please log-in.

My partner is one of the subcontractors for Vancouver's installation of its first bikeshare system. It's pretty weird to know the backstory of work and deadlines, when in the media and on the 'Net, chatter what people expect or anticipate.

Will be interesting to see usage. Vancouver has the mildest weather in Canada and it does get lots of tourists who come specifically to enjoy the city for a few days.

I did listen to former Transportation Commissioner for NYC, Janette Sadik-Khan. It was felt NYC should install more bikeshare stations near public housing, etc. I guess. Would locals use it after a month? Would be more cost-effective to buy a used bike/refurbished bike from a bike co-op.

I actually think the greatest uptake might be if there is a huge influx of commuters who occasionally visit a big city for meetings/shopping/occasional big events or for tourists. As a tourist, I really am not comfortable launching off on a bike and just cycling anywhere downtown in congested areas. I like to plot a route first.. I've always been like that. I know myself on a rented bike.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-31-2016 at 03:54 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I live near Fort Worth, Texas and they have a bike share. It gets regular use and the bikes look well maintained. Some people use it for commuting to work, or to go grab lunch, without having to worry about parking. Tourists use it to see the city from the point of view that walking provides but still able to cover more distance. IMO I think it's easier to navigate on a bike than by car "downtown". Some roads are one way only, some aren't. You have people crossing the streets outside of crosswalks, etc and just trying to go by car without going the wrong way down a street or hitting someone can distract you enough that you can't look at the city.

Most of the reviews are 5/5 by tourists and locals. I think an annual pass is $80. There's a smart phone app which I think helps tourists navigate to the stations otherwise it'd probably be a bit scary to use when you don't know the city at all and are expected to find the stations.

I found a video that goes over the system here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R52uUwwydI

Bikeshare is hugely popular in DC. It's expanding more into the suburbs now. They began by placing stations near Metro rail (subway) stations. I don't know about tourist usage but I know many residents use them to get around in the city where traffic is ridiculous. There was a station in my (suburban) neighborhood for a while but they removed it because the bikes there weren't being used. I never saw the need for it -- by the time I walked to the bikeshare station I was already halfway to where ever I was going so it made more sense to keep walking.

From what I've seen about NYC's bike share, the stations are all in more upscale areas.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Bikeshare was put into place last year by the city and it's use has been abysmal. Because Seattle is FULL of hills! And a one speed heavy bike isn't going to get very far on a steep hill unless you're especially determined. Even though it's failing big time, city council has elected to continue to waste the taxpayers' money on it - and interesting to note that the leader of the bikeshare is a comrade of the person responsible for passing the continuation.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

The Santa Monica/Venice bike share program just started last year. It’s been a huge success here especially with tourists….our year round good weather and good bike infastructure/bike paths helps in usage. The bikes have 8 speed internal hubs and have front baskets. the only big differences with my commuter is weight and all of the electronic systems. There is an app that shows where bikes are and allows reserving one in the location you want. The app also recommends routes to where you want to go or lets you plan it and shows a route map. You either tap your member card on the bikes keypad or enter a pin number on it to unlock and take a bike. You can lock the bike to any public bike rack or system hub location, put the bike on hold if you want to continue using it or just end use there. Prices are reasonable $40 for 6 months/60 minutes a day for students, $25/$20 for 1 month/60 minutes a day/1 month/30 minutes a day, $99/79 a year for 60/30 and 10 cents a minute $6 an hour for over that or for just a single days ride. Hub or public racks are also at major bus and light rail stations for people/commuters who are also using public transit to get somewhere. Hulu’s headquarters are here and they are the sponsors of the system with $600,000+ a year for the next 5+ years.

I see them all the time on my commute just blended in with other bikes
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 04-01-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    Bikeshare was put into place last year by the city and it's use has been abysmal. Because Seattle is FULL of hills! And a one speed heavy bike isn't going to get very far on a steep hill unless you're especially determined. Even though it's failing big time, city council has elected to continue to waste the taxpayers' money on it - and interesting to note that the leader of the bikeshare is a comrade of the person responsible for passing the continuation.
    As a Vancouverite (since it's a 2nd home for me), I've always been in slight awe of Seattle cyclists whenever I visit the city to see friggin' steep, long hills in the downtown area that intersect some major busy streets ....or are just quite steep. We usually bring our bikes on Amtrak train between Vancouver and Seattle. I recommend this train which offers a bike train car for storage lst morning train and last evening train. I've cycled between Vancouver and Seattle twice on different trips. So having Amtrak one way, can save time....

Last year when I saw bikshare in Seattle, I did wonder about the steep hills. How does cycling mode share expand in general in Seattle ..or maybe it's only among people who cycle familiar flatter routes or for strong/competent cyclists. Perhaps bus bike racks helps or taking bike onto LRT?

It is possible to cycle in downtown Vancouver and see several major attractions, go to restaurants, shops and parks, tour some neighbourhoods for several hrs. or whole day, without a steep long hill on a busy downtown city street. (Quiet residential streets at least gives less stress and unhurried time to mount the hill. A car would only pass by every 3-5 min. Peaceful.) I mean no hill over 8% and longer with many downtown cars close by. However just doing 1 hill @ 10% 1 km. long for a few minutes in 1 day within downtown Vancouver, will at least diversify more beautiful scenes and see more things in Vancouver. I wouldn't really relish doing that type of hill on a bikeshare bike which will have 3 speeds I believe.

Yes, there are several cycletracks in downtown plus some bike-ped paths which for latter I would recommend an early morning ride --which there is a beautiful ride by oceanwater inlets and creeks.

I've seen Toronto's bixi bikeshare every time I visit my family, but find their bike too large for me.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-31-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I know DC's system tells you how many bikes are available at each station. I don't know if it also suggests routes -- that's a great idea.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles