Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Favorite SPF lip balm?

To disable ads, please log-in.

What type of lip balm do you like for summer bike rides and other outings in the sun? I typically use Chapstick's "sport" version, which tends to change from year to year. But I'm wondering if there's something better out there for protection against wind and sun.

Thanks!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I like All Good Lips. REI had it last I looked, though it seems like they might be discontinuing it. No endocrine disruptors, no nano-particles, no reef-harming chemicals, comes in plain or scented and/or tinted. The only downside to the uncolored version is the same as any non-nano physical sunblock, they'll all have a whitish cast to them. Haven't tried the tinted kind.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I like All Good Lips. REI had it last I looked, though it seems like they might be discontinuing it. No endocrine disruptors, no nano-particles, no reef-harming chemicals, comes in plain or scented and/or tinted. The only downside to the uncolored version is the same as any non-nano physical sunblock, they'll all have a whitish cast to them. Haven't tried the tinted kind.
    Oak, what's the texture like? I find Chapstick a little too gummy. Is this lighter in texture or similar?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm not sure what to compare it to. It's been decades since I used Chapstick! When I was less careful about what I'd put near my mouth, I used the Blistex that comes in a tub, that you apply with a finger. Probably most similar to regular lip color stick, because of the higher percentage of mineral particles? It's based on beeswax and vegetable oils, so it doesn't have the greasy feeling of petroleum-based balms, and it lasts well. One time I was out in the sun and forgot any other sunblock but I had the lip balm stick, so I smeared it on my nose and ears. It was a little heavy but not awful - in a pinch I'd do it again.

I guess I'd say, it doesn't feel gummy to me at all, but it is maybe a little on the heavy side.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-25-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Interesting. For several months I switched from regular Chapstick to a lip balm made from olive oil and beeswax, and it didn't work for me -- my lips were always chapped along the top margin, and it was worse after a bike ride.

Gone but not forgotten:

Joshua Tree’s organic lip balms works for me.
    Cocoa butter, coconut oil, sunflower oil and bees wax. For sun protection they use cinnamate from cinnamon leaves. They use mint and tea tree oil for dealing with chapped or sunburned lips.

For really long rides I also use their roll on Embrocation’s on my legs when they first start to tell me they want some. Good to warm up my leg muscles on a cold ride too.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Interesting. For several months I switched from regular Chapstick to a lip balm made from olive oil and beeswax, and it didn't work for me -- my lips were always chapped along the top margin, and it was worse after a bike ride.
    I wonder if that's just because the petroleum base melts and spreads more easily, where with the beeswax base I do have to make sure I have full coverage when I apply it?

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I've recently discovered that I'm allergic to beeswax, which most "natural" lip balms use. Some Chapstick varieties include it, but the Classics (cherry, strawberry, and I think plain), don't. It usually starts by making a really chapped feeling around the edges of my lips, and progresses to a really itchy, burny, bumpy mess if I don't discontinue use soon enough. I just figured it out when Eos brand did it to me, and I compared ingredients with other ones that had the same effect and unscientifically concluded it had to be the beeswax. Sad, because I really liked the feel of it.

I actually had a bad reaction to Aquaphor last fall after using it as a lip moisturizer -- it chapped the hell out of my lips to the point where they were swollen and shedding. That healed but provided an opportunity for a yeast infection to develop, which resulting in constant cracking in the corners of my mouth (angular cheilitis) and strange white bumps on my lips. During that whole mess I switched from Chapstick to the beeswax/olive oil lip balm that they sell at the LL Bean store near me. I also tried Neutrogena lip balm, and that seemed okay. Once I was able to figure out that I was dealing with a yeast infection (several doctors were unable to diagnose it correctly) and I got it under control, things were good except for the line of dry chapped skin along the top margin. Now I go back and forth between regular Chapstick and the beeswax/olive oil and things seem okay. However neither lasts long enough or has high enough SPF for long summer bike rides.

Gone but not forgotten: