Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just looking at those rocks hurts my feet.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Those rocks!!!! How much of the course looked like that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Those rocks!!!! How much of the course looked like that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T537A using Tapatalk
    About 95% of the course looks like that. The laughable part is at one of the aid stations that warned us that was going to get rockier just ahead.
    I looked at the person next to me and said....how is that even possible? And it was wet and muddy. I was so glad to have beefy grippy trail shoes on.

Yep. I've done some hiking around Bear Mountain. That's the kind of trail it's okay to race on when it's wet and you know you won't tear up the mud.

Take care of yourself and recover! Hopefully your kids aren't too hard on you today.

As far as the new PT, other than the cold I'm at least as good as I was before the marathon. It's more I've got enough of the misalignments finally worked out, that I'm ready to start back in on the imbalances. Standard exercises are plenty good enough for rehabbing the ankle, but the thoracolumbar/shoulder/diaphragm/rib/hip stuff, I need a good sequence of release/activate/integrate into a movement pattern, and that's where I need guidance. I actually had this PT's name late fall, from a runner with a similar injury history, but I didn't want to start with a new practitioner right before moving. Got an appointment on Friday, so hopefully we can get somewhere.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Just got back from the new PT and I'm sooooo encouraged! FINALLY someone who gets that strengthening without mobilization just reinforces bad movement patterns - and who could assess me and see the layers upon layers of compensation instead of just the basic ability to function that I've built for myself by working around everything that doesn't work right. He said that he's probably ever seen only a couple of patients with LESS lumbosacral mobility than I have, in his entire career. He was frank that at my age we're not going to be able to perfectly fix stuff I've had from childhood, but I wasn't expecting that, and any improvement is good.

So, we're starting off with some exercises to mobilize the pelvic joints - not just the SI but the pubic symphysis as well - and go from there. I'm only going to be seeing him once a week since it's such a long drive, but since there's nothing acute at this point, it's all good!

Excellent - that is good news! Not that you need so much attention for your lumbosacral mobility but because he knows what he's talking about. Where is he by the way? I'm sure that it would be totally unrealistic for me to drive that far but if he is that good a one-time consult might be something I could consider in a few months if I don't see changes in the right direction.

He's in Dublin, so closer to you than most of Columbus.

Thanks - send me his name via PM and I will check him out. My chiropractor thinks my main problem with my leg instability is still knee/quad strength regardless of how much work I've done, though my coach is inclined to blame my hip. I am giving it until July (first anniversary of knee surgery) to give it a full year. I've read lateral releases can take that long to heal properly. There is also a local Ortho-certified PT who is said to be quite good - though "local" isn't close.

So I got out for three today. After all this time my legs were obviously good for more, but my respiratory infection is still a little bit precarious, and I didn't want to push it, but I was jonesing hard. Felt great - looking forward to getting back into it.

RnR, how are your legs feeling? Who else is running?

Hey...I am good. rested for a few days for my ouchies. Ran an easy 4 on Thursday and did an 8 mile trail run yesterday. Lifted today. feeling pretty good for an old girl. We have another race on June 11th so I treated this week like a reverse taper. We will do a few long weekend runs and then taper down again.

Saw my foot guy on Wed. I am over pronating past what my orthotics can handle so he is making me a new pair. It is causing my feet, particularly my big toes and the tops of my feet to hurts. It only started about 6 weeks ago, so I think we caught it pretty early. Hopefully the new orthotics will help. I had planned to step up to longer trail races next year, but if the increased mileage is going to exacerbate this problem, I will stay with shorter races. Not worth doing long term damage at this age.
    I have too many retirement plans.

Oak, I am glad you are getting the care your pelvis needs.

So I've been running a little, not much. Partly because it's amazing how much fitness I lost in three weeks. Partly because my adductors are screaming from the PT exercises, which I really wasn't expecting - pretty much standard hip strengthening stuff, the only exercise I'm doing now that I hadn't done before is the seated internal/external rotation against a stretchy band - and it's not the isometric adduction that I'm doing to mobilize the joints, because they didn't get really sore until we added the other work. Really it ought to be the abductors and external rotators that are getting the most work, but it's the adductors that are so sore I can only do the exercises every other day. Yikes. But we've had some beautiful running weather.

How's everyone else doing?

I'm good just been busy. We went to DC for a few days. One of my former students that I have stayed close with was commissioned as an officer in the Navy and invited us down for the ceremony. It was really awesome. She has a great family that my husband and I are pretty friendly with so it was lovely to be part of.

Came back Saturday pm, got up really tired Sunday am and went out for a short 5 mile trail run. Got in another 6 tonight in the rain. We are planning on 2 long weekend runs, a short taper and then our next half on June 11th. So it is coming along. Waiting for a call from my foot guy for my new orthotics. I with they would hurry up already.

Nothing more fun than sore muscles from PT. I was shocked this winter how sore I got. I thought I was hitting all of those spots but nope.

I have not been running at all. I got out of the habit while in NC and spending time with family, and in a campground with only a short loop (.1 of a mile) plus huge mountains in all directions, and now I can't seem to get back into it. We have been doing lots of hiking and walking and cycling, but I can't seem to make myself get back to running, because I know it's going to be hard, and most places we're staying now (national forest campgrounds in the south) are hilly.

Wah wah, I know! Just gotta get my discipline back.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, you know what, you're doing plenty. Any time someone tells me they "should" take up running, I tell them, if that's how you feel about it, no you shouldn't! It's not like there aren't dozens of other ways to get some cardio and enjoy the outdoors. Life's too short to do things for "recreation" if you don't enjoy them. When you WANT to run, you will - and if you never want to again, that's totally okay!

Me - lots of PT exercises, still not a lot of running, but the changes that are happening are really revealing. Now that I'm getting some mobility back in my SI joint, I'm finding weaknesses in my feet, lower legs and hamstrings that I knew were there, but that weren't responding to any of the work I was doing before. Strength follows alignment follows mobility.

If they invent a time machine, first thing I'm doing is going back to when I was six years old and bringing myself a pair of shoes wide enough for my feet, and staying far, far away from that quack who put me in orthopedic shoes so I could walk with my feet crammed into shoes that were too narrow. Meantime, I'm feeling really good about the progress I'm making.

I so agree, Oak. No matter how much I want to be a runner, it's not good for me, and I do plenty of other cardio. Glad the PT is working.
    I saw a FB post from my instructor at my former gym. She is a lovely young woman, but when she stated her first postpartum 5K time of 29 minutes as being slow, but getting it done, I laughed. She really is not a bragging type, but it's all perspective.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport