Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Returning something under the "return for any reason" clause.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a jacket at a major outdoor sporting goods r/etailer. It was a little expensive, but based on the description, it seemed like it would fill a gap in my large jacket collection. Unfortunately, it's not working out as planned/hoped. The company has a "return for any reason, at any time" policy. I feel uncomfortable taking advantage of that because it's basically my own fault, but they insist: "any reason, any time". I could use some advice on how to feel less guilty.

My experience has been that retailers who offer such policies 1) charge slightly more than other retailers and 2) bet on people buying more than they would without the guarantee, thus increasing their profitability. They know most people won't return. As long as it's been a reasonable time and amount of wear and you don't generally abuse the process with the retailer, I see no issues returning a jacket that doesn't work for you.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

If it's the retailer I'm thinking of, they like to tell the story of someone who owned one of their fishing rods; he had it for a long time and one day, while walking in from fishing, tripped and broke off the tip of the rod. He returned it and they "happily replaced it, because we want you to be satisfied with everything you buy from us". They seem to mean it when they say "anytime, for any reason".

Electra Townie 7D

... and if it's the retailer I'm thinking of, it's a co-op, and their decision to offer a generous return policy is a decision made by member representatives elected by members like you. (Though, if it's the retailer I'm thinking of, it's "only" one year for no reason, and "any time" only when there's a defect?)

I felt a little guilty last year when I returned an item that actually had failed within the year, just because it was more convenient to do it there than to send it back to the manufacturer under warranty. But the person who helped me was all, no, that's why we have this policy, go ahead and do it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It's the retailer Pax is thinking of. I'll probably take the jacket back. I've been in the store when people return used items, and the staff are always friendly and accommodating.

I recently returned an mp3 player to an electronics store that had a 15-day return-for-any-reason guarantee. I had opened the package, charged the battery, loaded it with music, used it, hated it, did a factory reset, put it back in the original box with all the cables and returned it on day 14. I told them there was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like it. The person working at the return counter said no problem, it all goes back to the manufacturer anyway. Apparently people do this sort of thing all the time when the store's return policy allows it. So my only regret was that I wasn't able to find a different mp3 player to buy in place of the one that I hated.

From the store's point of view, they've lost the revenue from that sale but they've cemented their relationship with me. Knowing that they have this policy removes some of the risk that comes with buying new things, so I will happily buy from them again.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

"return for any reason, at any time" means what it says to me. Personally I wouldn’t abuse it to just wear something and then return it but if it turned out to be something I really didn’t like I appreciate the ability to return it and I always do within a short period of time. I returned an external hard drive to Staples a couple of weeks ago because I didn’t like the OS X software it came with.

I only buy clothes I have tried on in a store so I know it’s something I want when buying. I use a N.Y. store with a 30 day return policy to buy photography equipment (no sales tax can save me hundreds) and have bought used lenses and once a used camera to see if I like it and then return it for a new one with warranty if I do or just return it if I don’t like it. They know how much I’ve spent with them over the last few years and that i then usually buy a new one so they don’t have a problem with that….so neither do i. I also buy my technology from them since their discounts on apple products and especially applecare with no sales tax and free shipping saves me money.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I completely forgot about the air conditioner I bought last summer and then returned because it was too loud! The thing with electronics is they can send it back to the manufacturer and refurbish it. At least two of my cameras and Apple iGadgets are refurbished.

Rebecca - I worked in a small local camera store during high school. Even if my boss could sell me something at cost, it was still cheaper to take the train into NYC and buy from the NYC stores (our store didn't sell the brand I used, anyway, so I wasn't completely disloyal). And it wasn't grey market merchandise, either. Thanks for sharing your photos. I enjoy seeing them.

I think I bought my latest camera and binoculars from the same NY store that Rebecca buys from. They have great reviews from knowledgeable customers which really helps with the decision process.

For folks who shop at REI, I was there yesterday and noticed that they're carrying more clothes from Moxie Cycling. I used my 20% coupon and dividend to get a hi-viz shrug that has relective stuff on the lower sleeves. I think it will be good for night rides in spring and fall. I mention it because Moxie is one of those rare companies that specializes in women's cycling clothes and they're no longer carried by TE.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have a rain jacket purchased from a different store with the same policy. It's at least 10 years old. The waterproofing is peeling at the seams and the darn thing leaks like a sieve. I called the company and they are happily exchanging it for another. The customer service person said there's normal wear and tear then there's product failure. They guarantee their products and they stand by it. They said since I followed the care instructions and the jacket had light use. Regardless of the fact that it's ten years old+ the lining should not have failed.

As far as your situation. You thought the product would work but it didn't. No reason to feel guilty. It's not like you bought a party dress, left the tags on, wore it for the party and then returned it.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite