Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

bcipam - sorry but I am laughing thats so funny.....not the bit about the fall and hospital though thats just scary.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

bcipam -

I'll take your oatmeal (comfort food for me) & you can have ALL my bananas.

Note to parents: Do not pour your daughter cornflakes, slice bananas on top,liberally douse it all with milk, and only then call said daughter to breakfast, and insist she sit there until the entire disgusting mess is eaten. You know, the daughter who hates sogginess in any food. You'll put her off bananas and cornflakes for life. Really. {shudder}
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Mom, I carefully stage everyting so I can put add milk at just the last minute and no delays while eating. Soggy! Yuck!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

So things that have happened to me...

When I was young (before my teen years) I was riding and talking to my sister. I was not paying attention to the road. I remember suddenly looking up and seeing a parked car in front of me. Before I could react I hit the car and went flying and landed spread eagle on its hood.

When picking up Silver and getting saddle height, etc. all setup while on the trainer at the LBS, I leaned a little too far on the right and started tipping. Since I was clipped in the bike went with me... since the bike was locked in the trainer, the trainer did too... Merilee from the shop is just looking in horror as I'm just laughing my butt off.

I can't count the number of times I've attempted to dismount and my shorts end up getting caught on the nose of the saddle. Unfortunately my balance sucks so typically I end up in the bushes in my front yard. I did this once as a car was passing by the house. The woman hit her brakes and shouted out to me "are you ok?!" Laughing I responded that I was fine.

Mel

hmmm lets see
    falling over at least twice in one day at stop signs during a tour in Spain, because I over balanced my panniers with a paper back book and couldn't clip out in time.

being driven into a curb by a fellow rider on my first STP (Seattle to Portland Classic) and going down dramatically (though I was unhurt thankfully) right in front of the quadripalegic (yes quadripalegic, with use of his arms but not full use of his hands - I used to work at a hospital and we sent a disabled team every year) rider that we were all riding with. It really was a great crash- me flying one way, the bike going the other with the plus that it didn't even draw any blood.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Melody
    When I was young (before my teen years) I was riding and talking to my sister. I was not paying attention to the road. I remember suddenly looking up and seeing a parked car in front of me. Before I could react I hit the car and went flying and landed spread eagle on its hood.
    Oooh, ooh, mee too ! Except in my case I was about 13 and did an over the handlebars el-face-o into the rear door of a station wagon. Teeth first. I had a funny little inverted V chipped out of my two front top teeth, until my dentist ground down the bottoms so the V is pretty much gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden
    falling over at least twice in one day at stop signs during a tour in Spain, because I over balanced my panniers with a paper back book and couldn't clip out in time.
    Was that the Camino de Santiago, by any chance?

This story was only potentially embarassing, but I could have gotten in big trouble with my parents as I was only 16 at the time (in 1972). I planned a weekend bike tour-camping trip with 2 friends, a guy and a girl. Not sure how I got away with this except that my parents were out of town and my grandmother let me go. Anyway, the 3 of us were meeting at a street corner at 6 am. I showed up, and the guy showed up, but we waited and waited for the girl. All the while I'm sitting there thinking "How am I going to explain to my parents that I went on a weekend bike tour with a guy?" The guy and I had no interest in each other, just lots of interest in biking. But my parents might not have seen it that way. Luckily the girl finally showed up 45 minutes late and I was spared the embarassing parental explanation. But I think my grandmother got in trouble for letting me go. I was such a wayward teen with a bike, always off riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla
    Was that the Camino de Santiago, by any chance?
    No - my husband and I did a 2 week self supported (hotels -no camping) / planned tour of Andalucia (Sevilla - Palma del Rio - Cordoba - Zuheros - Alcala la Real - Granada - Antequerra -Carmona - Sevilla) My husband was inspired by watching the Vuelta
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    bcipam -

I'll take your oatmeal (comfort food for me) & you can have ALL my bananas.

Note to parents: Do not pour your daughter cornflakes, slice bananas on top,liberally douse it all with milk, and only then call said daughter to breakfast, and insist she sit there until the entire disgusting mess is eaten. You know, the daughter who hates sogginess in any food. You'll put her off bananas and cornflakes for life. Really. {shudder}
    Well that won't work cause I also dislike bananas but strangely and yes I admit this makes no sense, the only way I will eat bananas is cut up and on Cherrios with lots of milk.

Speaking of making kids eat icky things... in my day (a hundred years ago) my Mom used to make us sit at the table and not only eat adult size porportions (no wonder I battle my weight) but also things like liver and lamb both of which to this day I won't come near. I can remember sitting slumped over at the dinner table, it's about 11 o'clock at night, I'm tired and hungry (been crying since 6 so all snotty and sick) and so stubborn I just refused to eat just one bite of liver. My mother also stubborn, is mad at me cause I won't let her go to bed and she's gonna torture me until I eat that liver. As an adult I had to go into therapy because of those liver dinners (and uh well yes, maybe because of my Mom).

Yes parents don't make your kids eat something icky. Sad thing is how would my life have been improved if I ate the liver? Vegatables I can understand but liver.... Yuck!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Sad thing is how would my life have been improved if I ate the liver? Vegatables I can understand but liver.... Yuck!!!!
    Well, it is extremely rich in iron. But plain liver is a bit much to stomach. I much prefer it in the pate/foie gras format alongside a nice wine.

Red face Ethiopian guilt-trip torture

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    ... in my day (a hundred years ago) my Mom used to make us sit at the table and ... she's gonna torture me until I eat that liver. As an adult I had to go into therapy because of those liver dinners (and uh well yes, maybe because of my Mom).
    Um, my dad would turn on the 12-inch black-and-white television in the kitchen and make us watch PBS specials about starving Ethiopians until we'd eat our vegetables.

"Those starvin' little kids in Africa would LOVE to have your green beans!" Daddy would shout.

"Send them over there!" I'd tearfully and defiantly say.

Yes, parental issues... whole new thread for that one?

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

OMG... this is SUCH a great thread... at some level I can relate to every single thread... you have me cracking up here...

hey Dianyla... that sign you posted... THAT'S IT! That is exactly what I did... what a riot... I don't feel quite so bad now that I know enough people do it to warrant a sign!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

This is where I feel lucky. There's only a few foods that I won't eat and typically I'll try anything a couple of times.

Of course *other* people think I'm just odd for eating some of things I do eat. I just point out cultural differences.

However, I will _not_ eat fish eyes. My parents did. I just could not deal with the fish staring back at me. They were taunting me. Taunting I tell you.

Mel

liver

Why Why why do/did parents make their kids eat liver?

Ahhh the memories of childhood-KISS, liver & banana seat bikes...

c