Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For tea drinker's.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Google Teastick! This thing is soooo cool. My friend had one and I fell in love with it. My little tea holders always break and seem so cheap. These little things have nothing that can break AND the holes are so small you don't get little bits of tea in your cup. http://www.plymouthtea.com/tenewit.html they are on sale here. But google so you can see how they work. I am buying a bunch for christmas presants.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Hey, those are great! My step-mother has a farm and is always giving those of us in the family great herbal tea blends she makes, but I hadn't found anything quite as cool as this for steeping it. Think I'll get one for her and for me!

Thanks!
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks for the post....that looks *so* much better than the teaballs I use. I can see a purchase on the horizon.

Ha! I thought this thread was going to be sand sculpture pictures of the Mad Hatter's tea party . I seem to remember you saying you'd been doing Alice in Wonderland in Colorado.

It does look like a handy gadget, though. Think I'll be ordering one soon.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

I tend to prefer large infusers. I have the bigger, full size teapot version of this one, since I easily go through a pot or two of tea a day.

I got this from adagio tea--

You put your leaves in, pour in the boiling water. When it's done steeping just place the pot on the cup and the tea pours through straining the leaves.

I've used mine 3-4 times a day since I got it in early spring. Love it! Love tea... green tea...yum!

jillm

Oooo! me! me! Very cool.

In my endless quest for a good infuser, I picked one up in Philadelphia this spring. I'm in love. If you're a tea person, yeah, get one.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I'm a definite tea person (and an admitted tea snob), and I didn't really like these. They didn't seem to give enough room for the tea to expand, and the let smaller leaf particles into the tea. I wonder if they've improved them since I tried them....

Emily - A Southern Season in Chapel Hill had them a year or so ago - they might still (and they have a large selection of other yummy stuff in any case...)
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by five one View Post
    Ha! I thought this thread was going to be sand sculpture pictures of the Mad Hatter's tea party . I seem to remember you saying you'd been doing Alice in Wonderland in Colorado.

It does look like a handy gadget, though. Think I'll be ordering one soon.
    Sorry! I will post pic's as soon as I get a chance next week.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Don't you get an off taste ? Does the metal stain?
    I'm a tea freak but prefer to strain as I pour.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

[bump!]

Please indulge my dumb question! I am a tea drinker, but always with tea bags rather than loose tea (except for long-ago visits to London, when I poured the tea they gave me at the restaurant through a strainer). My neighbor recently ordered a bunch of different kinds of loose tea and she very kindly gave some to me. She also lent me a strainer, a little metal ball on a chain and one of the IngenuiTea cups that JillM posted about above (so many years ago ). I plan to buy something so I can return the gadgets to her -- I'm leaning toward this because it seems simple, will fit in a drawer and is made by a good company:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...xo+tea+infuser

I generally make tea one cup at a time by filling my mug with tap water and heating it up in the microwave. I really don't have time or patience for anything more complex than that. I do have a few large mugs which I sometimes use, and they hold 2-3 times as much as a normal mug. But regardless of the size of the mug, I make one mug at a time and that's it.

Anyway here's the dumb question -- I have NO idea how to make tea with these loose leaves. No idea how much tea to use per serving. When I do an internet search I find way too much detail about the type of water to use and complicated charts with brewing times for different varieties. I think my neighbor gave me black tea (four different flavors to try). It's definitely not green.

Every time I see her she asks if I've tried the tea yet, so I need to try it soon. Can anyone give me simple instructions? Is there such a thing as a simple way to make tea with loose leaves??

Thanks very much!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'd strongly recommend a basket rather than ball type strainer. Tea leaves expand when they get wet, and once they do, they choke water circulation out of a ball strainer. Something like this. Any kitchen store and many coffee/tea shops have them.

Elsewhere on Rishi Tea's site, you can click on any tea they sell and get the brewing instructions. Yep, it's simple. Especially with black tea, that's brewed with boiling water. The only thing that makes green and white tea slightly trickier is getting the water temperature right. (I've learned the sound that water makes in my electric kettle makes when it gets to 180°F, the temperature for brewing the mid-grade Sencha that's my daily tea.)

I also have a pump-type thermal bottle (like they keep hot water and coffee in some restaurants). So I'll heat a kettle full of water, dump it into the bottle, and then brew my tea one cup at a time. (Can't really recommend the combo bottles, the ones that both heat water and maintain the temperature with vacuum insulation - every one I've seen boils the water first then lets the temperature drop. That boils the oxygen out of the water, which you don't want with green or white tea, plus it means you have to set it up at night for the water to be green tea temperature by morning. But, if you'll only be drinking black tea and keeping the water just below 212°F, that might be an option for you.)

Extra simple method that doesn't require any accessories: put tea leaves and hot water into a measuring cup, infuse for the specified time, then strain through any kitchen strainer into your mug. That's how I brew herbal teas, so I don't mess up the flavor in my green tea basket.

Beware though: once you taste good tea, it's hard to go back. Stuff isn't cheap. And a metal cylinder of tea leaves will get your suitcase searched every. single. trip.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-10-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This is my favorite basket.

I concur with Oak on the basket suggestion. I'm a fellow tea snob. :-) Though, I have to confess, I love my insulated keep warm gadget. I don't notice the lack of O2, and the convenience is worth it for me. But that's far from the simple solution for you.

Simple Instructions for Black Tea: boil the water (in a pan or a kettle or something - can be hard to do in the microwave). Pour over the leaves. Start with 1 tsp a cup (8oz). If it's really dense (little pieces), use less. If it's really fluffy (big leaves), use more. Remove them in about 4:30 for most black teas (darjeelings are odd - if it feels like you have a mouth of cotton at that, you probably have one and need to steep for a lot less time). There are different guides, and you can adjust to your taste - but that's where I start with new black teas.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Speaking of brewed teas, does anyone have a commuter cup for tea they recommend? I have a Kleen Kanteen but don't like drinking my tea out of it. I'd prefer something non-breakable (i.e, NOT ceramic) as I'm a total klutz.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN