Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Spin survey for my school class

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone! I am taking a class on Sports Nutrition and Health and have decided to look into the health benefits of spinning and also health issues related to bicycle safety as far as wearing the appropriate gear when riding. I have decided to focus on health risks posed by not wearing the proper padded shorts when spinning. Severe discomfort, chafing, and saddle sores can all occur if someone cycles enough. I have chosen to focus on this because I have noticed that the majority of indoor cyclist do not wear padded shorts, instead they wear athletic pants. If you could please take this short 8 question survey, it would really help! Thank you in advance!

Please take the survey only if you attend indoor cycling classes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSJGVHM
    Last edited by OC_Cycle; 03-08-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: I made an error

I only do spin classes when it's below 35 degrees out or raining.
    I say this because it might be helpful to you to sort participants by those who only spin indoors or those who are road cyclists and use indoor cycling as an alternative when the weather is below their threshold for riding outdoors. I am quite sure you might find that cycling shorts usage falls directly along those lines.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hoping it’s okay that I took the survey thinking about when spinning was part of my routine. Pilates has replaced it in my exercise routine since my bicycling increased to commuting and some longer weekend rides year round. Some women bicyclists that I know that also do spin classes have the core strength, can adjust their spin bike correctly for their body, do enough quick up down up down intervals and stand enough during class so they don’t need padded shorts for the length of a normal class. A friend who is one of the best cyclists i know just wears compression tights. Some people use gel seat covers and/or wear padded shorts/tights/capris. I’d say just help someone find a good solution if they're having problems, a chamois being one. I usually wore good quality moisture wicking, breathable, compression spin shorts or capris without problems.

Spinning or cycling are both great exercises. Encouraging others in doing either in a way that gets their mind into just the exercise itself instead of some discomfort that's remedial... is good.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 03-09-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I only do spin classes when it's below 35 degrees out or raining.
    I say this because it might be helpful to you to sort participants by those who only spin indoors or those who are road cyclists and use indoor cycling as an alternative when the weather is below their threshold for riding outdoors. I am quite sure you might find that cycling shorts usage falls directly along those lines.
    Ditto - I too only do spinning in the winter. The only people I see in spinning class who wear cycling shorts are outdoor cyclists and only show up to spinning in the winter.

I am probably rare that I only wear athletic tights rather than my cycling shorts while spinning because the seats are bigger and more padded on the spin bikes and I find cycling shorts uncomfortable with them.

I can't wear my Sugoi shorts there for that reason, but the Terry Bellas are fine, as are the Terry commuting capris that have a minimal tri-like chamois.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport