Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Surly braze-ons

Surly braze-ons

To disable ads, please log-in.

My beautiful new Ogre is studded all over with braze-ons. I know what a braze-on is -- a predrilled hole in a bike frame to attach racks, packs and accessories. But I don't understand how they do what they do. I've Google-searched "how do braze-ons work" and variations thereof, but it was no help at all. Apparently this is something I'm supposed to already know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	17968

I thought the silver cap might screw off like a cap nut, but no. Do you drill the screw right through the cap and mount, say, a bottle cage that way? I'll probably take it to my LBS for any big attachments, but I'd hoped I could at least mount the bottle cage on my own. What do you suggest?

It should unscrew with an Allen key, no? Then the holes in the water bottle cage should line up with the existing holes, and you screw the bolt back in. Unless this is some totally new system. I'm pretty sure you don't want to take a drill to your new bike.

Yeah, it’s a hex head mounting bolt. Having a quality light weight multi-tool (Park, Lezyne etc.) that has at least 4,5,6mm hex wrenches in a saddle bag ftw
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thank you all very much! It's the simple solutions that always elude me.

Oh good! I'm glad you got it straightened out. And congrats on the new bike - it looks like a fun one!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneFive View Post
    Thank you all very much! It's the simple solutions that always elude me.
    and i forgot to say it's 4mm on the ogre so you can either get a 4mm allen/hex key or a multi-tool with one.

eta...it's good to learn about little things like this on a bike and to feel more confident about doing your own work
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 03-04-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

rebeccaC: I had a Park multi hex wrench on order from Amazon -- three LBS were out of stock on them, go figure. It arrived just in time for me to triumphantly (and correctly, I trust) attach a bottle cage. Yay me!

IBrakeforPastry: I have been able to go out for exactly one ride since I brought her home. We've been in a real roller-coaster of temps in the 50s on days when I work and then snow on days I have off. The weather gods aren't smiling on me yet! But I've pledged to 30 Days of Biking in April, and I'm looking forward to fun and adventure with her!
    Last edited by ZoneFive; 03-03-2016 at 04:15 PM.

4 mm hex wrench is the size you need. Sometimes they are tight - which is what it sounds like for you. Put some muscle - lefty loosie, righty tightee
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Oh should have read the entire thread! glad you are on the right path
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    4 mm hex wrench is the size you need. Sometimes they are tight - which is what it sounds like for you. Put some muscle - lefty loosie, righty tightee
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com