Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A quad copter drone crasbed into/down/onto my backyard.

To disable ads, please log-in.

The enthusiast flying the drone didn't try to go into my backyard without my permission, but I still feel violated for snooping into my backyard.

And why should I thank him for not just barging onto my property. I did tell him we do have big dogs and that he was lucky that the dogs were inside. Had they been out, his expensive quadcopter would have been mangled into tiny pieces. I don't even know this person or where he lives. Not on my street nor the street over.

Why do they think its okay to fly into/over someone's back yard and snoop around with the remote video camera. How RUDE!

What would you have done and how do you feel about some stranger peering into a secluded private backyard?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Phone your local newspaper / police about this.

Seriously. It is trespassing...it would be in Canada. People report to the police, the better.

Just a few days ago, some people I think it was in Ontario, where a drone followed a bunch of school kids getting off a bus. The police are requesting the public for help.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I read a news article that the Denmark authorities have been training eagles to take down illegally flown drones

but really… that is pretty uncalled for. It's not really any different than sitting up in a tree with binoculars and peeping down into someone's backyard.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

googling it it says Oregon has a law now that says if you told him he doesn't have your permission to fly over your property and he does it again below 400 ft you can sue him for the physical invasion of your privacy and up to $10,000 in damages and your attorney fees.....making a police report about the first event will help in that....if you got his identification.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 02-29-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Call the police and the FAA. I work for the FAA and these things make my blood boil. I'm so tired of the "I bought it and I can do whatever I want with it" mentality.

Some commentary in canada, but more importantly issues and accidents...this area of law is changing: http://www.slaw.ca/2014/11/03/robot-law-ii-drones/ Snooping drone around a woman's apartment on Vancouver Island, etc.

Vancouver International Airport has had several incidents of drones that prevented incoming planes from landing...this was news nationally within the last few months. I believe there was an incident in North America where someone was killed by a drone that crashed on them.

People talk about the safety of smaller drones (therefore less subject to licensing)....what a pile of crap. We, meaning, mankind, have the means now, every single year to minaturize technological devices to become very powerful for surveillance and photography. If medicine can stick a camera inside your colon or engineering sector can stick a camera into the piping system for repairs....then now we have the technology to wide angle lens and zoom in.

Of course there's a public videoclip of gorgeous mansion homes in Vancouver....it goes on for 25 homes ..and the clip says taken by a drone. Drone was flying pretty close enough. I watched it.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-29-2016 at 04:13 AM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

That is scary. I think I would have confiscated it (it's in MY yard) and hand it to the police. We truly have no privacy anywhere anymore. And talk about safety as you never know what these "new" devices may carry on board! The world is getting sicker by the minute.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Yep, safety is an issue. They're not as easy to control as someone who's never flown anything might think. And a lot of people who've never flown anything before, got cheap little drones for their birthdays or holidays or whatever. I've got a friend who's been doing RC aviation for some time now, whose new hobby is posting ads from people whose windows have been broken, and counter-ads from people searching for their lost drones.

As far as privacy though ... ever look at Google Maps and zoom in on your house? Even out in the country there's high resolution aerial photography, and up until very recently, all of it came from full sized pilot-operated aircraft. Yes, UAV photography is gradually putting pilots out of business, but it's not like we don't have planes and helicopters flying over our house all the time, 15 miles from the nearest town with population higher than 500.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I appreciate your comment Oak, that we've had helicopters and small aircraft flying around etc. But a drone is much smaller.

Sure google maps is the evidence. They have not perfectly blurred out faces of the unintentional capture of people in their street shots. Those might be older photos. Don't know the firm's procedures and if they are used consistently worldwide for protection of personal privacy since non-North American countries seem to have less strict privacy law (ie. photos provided on resumes is not a practice in North America, but it can be in other countries).

Some of the (bigger) municipal government authorities are moving towards some limited contracted use of drones for documenting infrastructure and then geospatially tagging the imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yep, safety is an issue. They're not as easy to control as someone who's never flown anything might think. .
    This. My son wanted one for Christmas. I bought a not cheap, but not expensive one ($200). He was upset because he wanted the large nice versions (upwards of $1000) that could carry a camera, etc. He crashed it in our front yard on Christmas day. He had to order parts, fixed it, and crashed it again. He's had tons of remote control "stuff" including some helicopters (but not a quad copter), and he found it very difficult.

Luckily the small ones can't go very far (besides not wanting to waste money on something that I knew he very likely would crash until he learned more, I didn't want one that we'd have to register nor did I want one that would be capable of flying very far or very high.