Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Back to kayaking!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since a) we moved to Florida and live right on the Intracoastal, and b) I finally got a job, we're buying kayaks so we can start exploring the tremendous beauty right outside our door.

Thinking of going with Eddyline Caribbean 12's this time, anyone ever tried one, thoughts?

Electra Townie 7D

That's great, Pax. I miss kayaking. We sold our much-loved touring 'yaks when we moved to Belize. Don't know anything about that model, but I look forward to your kayaking reports when the time comes!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks, Emily. My knee will never be super functional again, but in a kayak it won't matter, I can still be me... so I'm really excited to get back to it.

Electra Townie 7D

Excellent, sounds like fun, enjoy!

Florida is a great place for it too!

There are some really lovely places to go in Florida too. My introduction to kayaking was at Juniper Springs a few years ago. I had such a blast that I came home and bought a kayak. The incredibly clear and warm water there is just amazing. I only wish I'd had time to do some paddling at Silver Springs as well.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

That is great, Pax.
    Something about kayaks scares me to death. Perhaps that roll over and drown thing?
    We have a nice kevlar canoe, that I enjoy using, but it has just sat for the past 2 years. Everytime I think about using it, it feels like a pain to get ready. Hopefully, this year.
    I just have a healthy fear of water, even wearing a pfd.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Catrin - thanks!

Eden - yeah, we have so much beautiful water around us! There must be thousands of those little mangrove islands, loads of dolphins and manatees, and the Canaveral National Seashore just up the river.

Crankin - my honey is the same way, she couldn't do a "sit inside" kayak for love or money, but she does fine on the "sit on tops" as long as she has a quality/well fitting pfd.

Electra Townie 7D

Crankin - even with a sit in kayak, you are not at all stuck in it, or attached unless you are wearing a spray skirt. I am a fair weather water kind of person and I'd have to have a spray skirt custom made because I have a kid sized sit in kayak with a very small cockpit opening, so I don't have one.
    When I took the self rescue class we had to intentionally roll - I popped out of there like a champagne cork every time - I don't think I could have stayed in if I had tried. With the sit on top style there's even less concern.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Yay!

Do get a good dry-bag that you can see and operate your phone (or other GPS device) through. All those little mangrove channels look alike and it's easy to get lost in there.

I've actually been thinking I might finally be able to paddle a little. Probably I should just go sit in the yak in the garage and see if it tweaks me just sitting there, before I get DH's hopes up ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Yay!

Do get a good dry-bag that you can see and operate your phone (or other GPS device) through. All those little mangrove channels look alike and it's easy to get lost in there.

I've actually been thinking I might finally be able to paddle a little. Probably I should just go sit in the yak in the garage and see if it tweaks me just sitting there, before I get DH's hopes up ...
    Didn't know they made ones you could operate the phone through, great info, thanks!

Hope you can get back out there. I want to try the put ins I've found by Spruce Creek and in Edgewater, but have heard Callalisa and the park just north of JB's are really nice too.

Electra Townie 7D