Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Swapping out components. Tiagra or Deore?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a Specialized Vita last year and really don't like the shifters. I've been talking to the bike shop guy about my options for changing them to Shimano trigger shifters and he suggested Tiagra or Deore. He said the Tiagra is more for a hybrid bike (like mine, although the Vita is almost a straight bar road bike), a little lighter in weight, and will look a little "cleaner" on the bike. The Deore is more mountain style, but also a little less expensive.
    Thoughts?

I upgraded gears and shifters on my folding bike recently, and went with the 10sp Tiagra (flat bar). Initially I was going to go with mtb style shifters, but once installed the shop realized they wouldn't work with the derailleurs I had on the bike. Don't quote me, but in the end I think they told me you can use mtb derailleurs with road shifters, but not mtb shifters with road derailleurs. Something to do with the spacing of the gears?
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

Actually, they have to switch out the rear derailleur, too. The existing components are SRAM and the mechanism is reversed. They'll match the derailleur to the shifter. I just have to decide. I'm leaning towards the Tiagra.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    Actually, they have to switch out the rear derailleur, too. The existing components are SRAM and the mechanism is reversed. They'll match the derailleur to the shifter. I just have to decide. I'm leaning towards the Tiagra.
    I'd put the best you can afford to on it. The Tiagra was a huge improvement over the Sora that came off my bike!
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

+1 on the best you can afford
    have you looked at all the sram trigger shifters or would their gripshift work?
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpony View Post
    Initially I was going to go with mtb style shifters, but once installed the shop realized they wouldn't work with the derailleurs I had on the bike.
    Shimano front road derailleurs have (or had) a different cable pull than their front mountain derailleurs. They make (or made) a special front derailleur that has a cage sized for road cranksets, but uses mountain cable pull.

Things may have changed now with the 10 speed DynaSys mountain groups and so on.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    +1 on the best you can afford
    have you looked at all the sram trigger shifters or would their gripshift work?
    I haven't looked at other SRAM. The problem I'm having is that both shifters are thumb-operated. One is behind the other and my thumb just doesn't reach the further one without bending my wrist all the way under (or back - it's hard to explain). It just isn't comfortable or efficient. The Shimano uses thumb and finger. I'm more comfortable with that setup.

I'm a little disappointed because I bought a higher end model because I do like to get the best I can afford (or need). I test rode a different model in the store for size, then ordered the "better" one, not realizing that the shifters would be so different.

I've hand problems (arthritis) and I really liked the SRAM grip shifters. FOR ME it worked to have SRAM 9 grips for the big ring and thumb for the little. My hands were quite happy with the hybrid shifter combo but grips would have been fine on both sides.

Thanks for the input. I went back to the shop today and ordered the Tiagra. I brought along my hardly-ridden Terry bike to see if we can make it fit. Close, but I wasn't 100% happy, so we set that project aside. He does take trade-ins, so I'm thinking of trading in the Terry, and using the credit towards the new components on the Vita, and maybe upgrading my Dolce, as well. Last summer we tried replacing the drop bar with an "M" bar. It's like a narrow mustache bar. I didn't follow through at the time, but now I think it will be a good move. He thinks I can use the existing STI shifters until I decide if I like the setup.

Catrin - I've tried grip shifters. They were fun, but after a while I found my wrist/elbow/forearm (I forgot which) was achy.