Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Someone also mentioned to me that I could try some BioFreeze. Available easily in USA but in Canada you have to go through some chiropractors, etc. Having it shipped to Canada would cost me a fortune in shipping, not counting the US$ vs Cdn$.
    I use Salonpas DEEP Relieving Gel (http://salonpas.us/product/salonpas-deep-relieving-gel/) and I actually like it a little better than BioFreeze. I feel like it's stronger and lasts longer, at least for me. Not sure if this is commercially available to you in Canada or not. I buy it at Walgreens here in the US. Might be an option, if you can get it.

ETA but whatever you do, don't apply it after a long hot bath. Or you'll feel like you've been lit on fire (ask me how I know!) It's fine applied to skin-temperature skin, though.

Another edit: looks like it is available in Canada, not sure if it's carried anywhere local to you: http://salonpas.ca/where-to-buy/
    Last edited by netskyblue; 02-12-2016 at 06:19 PM.

ah. that is interesting as I know salonpas patches as I have a box given to me by a friend when I had back muscle pain after a false move.

I was looking for that bio freeze at a drugstore tonight and did not see it but did see the salonpas stuff. So I may give it a try next time I go there.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Went back to surgeon this past Tuesday. Fracture is now healed. Xrays look good. Yahoo!

I have no restrictions in my training, but must do things progressively. Never push to the point of feeling pain. Inside still needs to heal. My patella slips up/down sometimes when I walk (no pain just a weird feeling) and he checked it all out and said it will be ok once healing is done. I may not feel the swelling but it is still there.

I go back to work as of Monday for 3 days a week for 2 weeks and then 4 days a week for 2 more weeks.

He'll see me back on April 22 and he'll do Synvisc-One injections in my 2 knees. He does not want to do it before as the knee still heals and there will be a lot of "movement" in it until then. So waiting will give me a better chance of getting the best out of the injections.

Tonight I did a 5km on bike trainer. Pushed as far as I could and no pain whatsover. It's nice to do something fun as the past 9 weeks were a pain in the butt. When you are an active person (not only for sports) it's a killer to have to sit so much and avoid walking, putting weight on leg, etc. But it is the price to pay to avoid surgery. Which I'm glad I was able to avoid.

So now I'm getting back in shape. Hoping I have not lost too much with those 9 weeks out of serious training. At least serious in my way. I still have aquatherapy every Friday for 2-3 more weeks. Still do my daily physio, but I can add to it more cycling (with more 10+ watts per week) and some of my training plan pre-accident.

This coming Saturday forecast calls for 11c and sun. So we are getting our Crux ready to ride near home. Our area is flat (beside overpass) so it should not be asking my knees too much. And if I tire or feel some "stretch" in the knee, simply need to turn around and head home. Even if the ride is 30 minutes, it will be very good mentally to get some fresh air. Been stuck on sofa for way too long.

So that is excellent news. Just need to be patient and careful in getting back into shape, careful while walking, etc. Doc said fracture is healed, but still fragile at this stage.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 03-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.
    Helene

So glad you're healed up and getting back to real life!

Electra Townie 7D

That is wonderful news.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Great news, Helene. Best wishes for your continuing rehab.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

That's great, Helene! Enjoy your ride and keep healing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you.

Today went to my aqua-therapy session. We had a blast. Did some spinning in water, and other water weight toys. Nice 45 minutes of pushing, jogging, etc in water. Hubby joined us in the pool and at some point I could not come back from deep end (doing some jogging/cycling moves with the hand weights). We laughed almost to tears trying to come back to the other end of the pool. It was a good challenge with a type of thing we had in our back (like a buoy) plus the foam weight bar in my hands to do some tricep/bicep work, in the water.

When I got home, I spent time in the yard with our dogs and shoveled snow from one part of the yard to where none was left - it's melting (makes it easier for my blind dog when there are less "bumps" for him to bump into.

No pain in the knee whatsoever. Wanted to go for a short outdoor bike ride tomorrow but winds will be gusting at 42km/h. That will be too much for my knees at this point (well too much for me normally period! hihi). So it will be on trainer I suppose. But that's ok. We're still mid-March and still winter here. So having some nice warmer weather right now is welcoming. Even if it won't last.
    Helene

I am soooo happy. Today it was beautiful and sunny, but forecast called for winds gusting at 42km/h. I'm not good with winds and with this "healed" fracture I should not push my luck.

I did a few things in the house in the morning and was sitting on sofa planning my upcoming summer vacation (thinking Minnesota to meet friends or go back to Nasvhille as we have friends there too). I'm pushing for MN as we have not been there in ages and Nashville been there twice in 3 years already. So many nice places to cycle too in MN. We'll see...

But saw 6 road cyclists go by. That was it. Told hubby to stop the renos he was doing and we're going on the Crux. He was all smile. So we did a 17km ride. It is not much but a lot since I got the ok only last Tuesday from surgeon and only to do thing gradually. I'm an "extremist" and gradually is not a word I understand well. to me gradually is going from 13km/h to 22km/h in one ride. To surgeon I'm sure it has a different meaning. hihi

I did stay on the small cog between 3-5 gear (easiest). We did ride in residential areas but was able to get a speed of 21-22km/h and when facing winds I was between 15-19km/h. Good enough for me. It was not hard at all, no pulling or pain in the knees. Cardio was good. It got colder as the sun decided to hide mid-way through our ride and we're not that well equiped for such colder weather. So my feet started to get cold when we had about 10 minutes left. Out of 55 minutes, not bad. I'm very happy to realize I have not lost that much since I've been "off" gym for 9 weeks now. I did keep up with physio but it is not the same.

So I think I'll be able to push a notch harder on the trainer bike now. We'll see what my physio says.

Today made up for the past 9 weeks of mixed feeling with this fracture. I feel alive again knowing I can get back to my activities. Yeah.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 03-13-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    Helene

Congratulations on your progress! I'm SO glad you are able to get back to your favorite activities

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    So that is excellent news. Just need to be patient and careful in getting back into shape, careful while walking, etc. Doc said fracture is healed, but still fragile at this stage.
    So I find that is the HARDEST part of any recuperation -- being patient and not pushing everything immediately because I want to make it up ALL RIGHT NOW! Congrats on the good news!

Yesterday was 1st day back at work (progressive). Got beautiful flowers from the team. I had a nice day. Not too hard but I had tired legs after the day. Glad to be on a day off today. Working tomorrow and Thursday and off Friday. Should get better over time.

Did 2 bike rides this past weekend. 17km Saturday and a faster 20km on Sunday. Enjoyed temporary warmer weather as the cold is back. Afterall, it is mid-March and snow to be expected at some point.

Going on trainer now but it will only be 30 minutes max.
    Helene

So happy for you!

Update.
    Back to work full-time for a few weeks now. Had synvisc One injected yesterday in both knees.

I can do most everything so far but walk good distances.

I did ask yesterday the surgeon how long it will take to get back to my normal walking without feeling a pull/pain on the right side of the knee since the fracture happened just over 3 months ago. He said to be very honest and serious that some people will never walk normally after such fracture. blah! But it is still "fresh" and we'll see.

I could not do much anyway until I got the Synvisc One since my cartilage is worn out and squatting, etc was sort of painful. So I should see some improvements in the next few weeks on that side. Seeing my PT Monday night so she will be able now to build my gym program now that the fracture has healed (at least functional) and injections are done.

TBC...
    Helene

Good luck going forward. It's really pretty early, though I know it must seem like forever. You still have a lot of recovering to do - try not to worry.