Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hi Everyone, New to the Forum!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,

I'm Stephanie and have been cycling for as long as I can remember! My dad has always been into cycling and usually rides 200+ miles/week. I used to attend bike club meetings in Pasadena with him when I was a little girl and it was so fun growing up in an awesome community of cyclist. I started racing when I was ten and then got into indoor volleyball for 8 years and traveled competitively for that. When I went to college at USC I started riding again and also going to spin classes. Since then I have kept up my riding and try to get out on the road as much as I can. Luckily, living in Newport Beach I have riding weather all year long.

I'm definitely used to my outdoor cycling gear so when I go to spin class I always want to wear my padded bib shorts because of the discomfort I will feel if I don't and also because I know I'll be able to work harder and have a better ride if I do wear my bibs. Being fashion conscience however, I obviously notice that I probably look pretty hardcore when I walk into a Soulcylce class with my bib shorts on in a room full of ladies (and men) with super stylish athletic apparel. I'm always looking for more stylish cycling gear and would love any suggestions you may have!

Thanks!
    Stephanie

Welcome, Stephanie! I buy most of my cycling clothing from the retailer that sponsors this forum (Team Estrogen - see the banner at the top). They have just moved, I think, and are in the process of restocking. So - definitely check back. They do have some cute stuff.

I care more about my workout than being stylish (not that there's anything wrong with caring about both) - so others might have more fashion-forward suggestions.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Lots of different brands of padded tights and capris if you want that…I like Pearl Izumi's ¾ tights for comfort and looks for commuting or a day of city riding. REI in Huntington Beach or Tustin should have a selection of padded moisture wicking capris/knickers/tights…..you can see how they fit, look and feel. I have a lot of friends who have said they really enjoy the workouts/instructors they have at the west hollywood and santa monica soulcycle locations. Some have left Y.A.S. for Soulcycle.

Btw Pressed Juicery next to the Soulcycle at Fashion Island…..chocolate freeze with cacao syrup and strawberries ftw
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 02-25-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Welcome, Stephanie!

I don't own a single fashionable thing so I'm no help there. Although my niece did say my Northface jacket was "bangin'" (when I bought it on clearance seven years ago).

Electra Townie 7D

My experience with indoor cycling is that the majority of the people have never been on a road bike, wear gym styled athletic clothes, and think outdoor cyclists are weird! It was not like this when I first went to spin classes 10 years ago. Soul Cycle seems a little cultish, so I could understand if you feel different!
    I wear my regular cycling shorts, but I also have a pair (and some capris) with a very thin chamois that i use for commuting and look less like road wear. I do wear jerseys, but I have found wearing a sleeveless one makes you stand out less and are just cooler for the steamy atmosphere. You could always wear a regular athletic tank for spin. I get those from Athleta.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Welcome Stephanie! Like Crankin, when I was still taking spinning classes I wore regular bike shorts with either sleeveless jerseys or a tech t-short (no cotton). In the end, it's your ride and we all know those shorts make life far more comfortable
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-26-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions Rebecca!

I was just at Pressed last weekend, I am obsessed with the freeze! Try the chocolate covered goji berries they're so good!

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out!

Thanks Crankin! You're so right, it seems like a lot of people go straight to spinning because it's "in" right now or because a friend dragged them along. At least most people have realized the benefits of cycling shoes.