Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Vestibular migraine

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've had migraines since I was in my early 20s, and I've recently read some things that indicate I was having non-headache migraine symptoms when I was even younger than that. For years I took daily medication to prevent/lessen the symptoms. For the most part the migraines were triggered by stress and hormones. When things were really bad they would last for almost a week.

As I got older the migraines became much less frequent, to the point where I was able to decrease the dose of the daily medication (Depakote). I don't remember exactly when I did this, but it was between 5-10 years ago. At the same time I started to have problems with feeling lightheaded when I stood up. At one point I stopped taking the Depakote completely and the lightheadedness got much worse, to the point where I was dizzy while sitting at my desk at work. I went back on the Depakote then, the lowest dose, and stayed on it for a while. Eventually I was able to stop taking it altogether without the dizziness. Since then I still sometimes have problems with lightheadedness upon standing, usually when I'm hungry. If I eat something, the problem goes away.

Until this week. I'm now well into the whole perimenopause experience. Recently the hormones have been on an upswing (or maybe a downswing, I just know they're doing something). I went from several months of bad hot flashes to no flashes/major league bloating for about 6-7 weeks, then my face broke out and I had a short period. This week I'm in a migraine phase. I've had a few instances of visual aura (shimmering silver crescent-shaped blind spots) and one day I had a headache. But the biggest symptom has been the lightheaded feeling when I stand up. It's been happening very often. And the other day I had vertigo for several minutes while I was lying down. It was really weird and kind of disturbing. Yesterday it came back, though not as bad -- the room wasn't actually spinning, but things just did not feel right. I tried to eat frequently, more calories than usual with plenty of protein, but that didn't seem to help. I ended up taking a sick day from work because I had trouble focusing. I just sat and watched TV all day and by evening I felt better.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I'm able to put a name on this -- vestibular migraine. This describes it:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neuro..._migraine.html

I'm not sure yet but I think today things are better than they were yesterday. I'm able to think more clearly, but I feel like a headache is threatening. I'm working from home again just in case. I might take a brief nap at lunch time.

I used to go to a neurologist who specialized in headaches, but it's been years since I went to any doctor for the migraines. I'm really hoping this phase I'm in now ends soon. I don't want to have to go back on daily medication, because of the cost and the side effects.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I used to have to take Zomig for migraines. They were very very bad. But never got the symptoms you had like lightheaded. Since I am now more than a year over my periods, I've "only" had 2 migraines. This feeeeeels soooooo good. I still get some hot flashes but no more bloating. Yeah.

Hoping you get less and less of those issues too.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Take care of yourself, NY. I noticed myself on the odd occasion of simply turning over in bed, of getting slightly dizzy.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Thanks. Luckily I was home when the vertigo hit. Now that I know that it's possible, I will be careful any time I'm feeling any other migraine symptoms.

As I've thought about it more, I remembered that a few years ago I used to get brief dizzy spells when I would tilt my head back to look up. Tilting my head back down made them go away.

Saturday night I fell asleep in front of the TV -- could not keep my eyes open no matter how hard I tried. After about an hour I woke up and went to bed, and slept until 11:30 the next day, about 11 hours in all. I'm hoping that marked the last phase of the migraine. I'm feeling better now.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm feeling better now.
    Yay, happy to hear it, NY!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Glad you are feeling better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad you're feeling better. Hang in there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

After having a hysterectomy I have a renewed appreciation for the havoc that hormones can wreak on us. Feel better.

Thanks! Just this week I went back to hot flashes. Taking magnesium every day (another thing I read about online, this time on the NIH site) has helped a lot with the migraine problems.

How have you been doing? I hope all is well.

Gone but not forgotten: