Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike shopping to replace my stolen Ruby

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I'm a few days into shopping... I was going to replace my bike with the same model, which would be good because they have upgraded to Ultegra 11 speed since 2011. But small size (44cm) Ruby's are pretty much unavailable - there exactly 4 in the entire US and all in a completely white paint job which I can assure you, I could not keep clean. There are literally NO charcoal gray/pink accent models in the US right now. I could go up or down a model for a better color but I don't want the lesser components and I can't convince myself I need to spend $500 for disc brakes or electronic shifters.

I tried a Trek Lexa (no Silque currently available in my size) in both 44 cm and 47 cm. 44 seemed good for my upper body but too cramped for the rest of me. 47 made me feel stretched out a bit in my upper body but otherwise good. So the 47 might work...

Liv Giant XS was too big.

Sunday I'm scheduled to try a Cannondale Carbon Synapse 44 cm. The less expensive model has 105 (and I could get a great deal on it if I like it) and the model with Ultegra is more than my budget but the guy said there was some wiggle room in the price that might make it affordable.

So no decision yet. Maybe "off the shelf" perfect fit is not realistic and I just need to be open to tweaking the stem/seat post etc. I'm still trying to get over being sad for losing my old bike and focus on getting excited for a new one.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

AZ, I know I already sent you a brief message on FB, but I have a couple of thoughts.
    First, did the 47 cm Lexa have 165 cranks? I won't comment on the above discussion, but I *cannot* ride a bike with anything else, and my inseam is longer than yours. I just had a memory, in that when preparing for my trip to France, I was all pissed because the bike Trek was giving me (not a Silque, but some WSD Madone), the 47 cm had 170 cranks. They said they would give me a 44, which had 165s, but then they would have to mess with the stem. No way, I have been through that with my Kuota, so I bit the bullet and rode the 47 with the longer cranks. So, what I am saying is that if you put 165s on the 47, it might help with what you are feeling. You can also get different bars. Like I told you, I have Specialized short and shallow on my Silque. Cheap, alu bars!
    Also, as far as spending an extra 500.00 for the electronic shifters and disc brakes, I would say it's worth it. I had the electronic shifters in France. While it didn't rock my world, like DH thinks (he got them on his new Time bike), they were fun and I had none of the problems with them, that I had read about. And, while you don't need disc brakes for wet weather in Tucson, they do work better. I had them on my mountain bike. It is true that you don't *need* either of these things, but if that's what it takes to get what you really want, do it.
    I was told there was a huge shortage of 165 cranks when I ordered my bike, around the end of October 2014. They told me I would get my bike in late December or January. Well, I have a picture of me, riding my bike on November something, so that all went more quickly than I was told.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    if I wanted to be spoken to like that, I'd post on road bike review.
    I apologize. It wasn't remotely my intention to be disrespectful, just to add my own experience, and mostly in hopes that you might explain the biomechanics, that I don't understand. Nor did I mean to imply that crankarms that fit me would work for azfiddle - I only mentioned my size in the context of how I know that I can't ride longer cranks.

I was being 100% serious when I said you're the geometry guru. You know more about that than anyone I've ever met or spoken with.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-22-2016 at 05:33 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think they all had 165 cranks.
    I rode a 47 cm Lexa in Ireland for 10 days and they set up it up so I was never uncomfortable- so I should believe that experience.

I don't think I posted my inseam- maybe there is some cross posting? I am not sure of my inseam, actually, but it's not that short!

Guess I'm a Specialized Ruby girl still.

I visited 6 shops since my bike was taken. (Tucson has a LOT of bike shops!) I test rode four brands: Trek (Lexa - for size only as there were no Trek Silque's in my size anywhere), Giant-Liv, Cannondale (Synapse) and Specialized (Ruby). I have another short friend and we were able to take the Synapse and a Ruby out together and trade off. The Synapse was noticeably lighter and a bit more skittish although nearly the right size, but the Ruby just felt like it fit better and was comfortable.

The Ruby I tested was a Ruby comp with the electronic shifters but it had the white-white-white paint job that I couldn't love. I ended up ordering the Ruby comp with disc brakes. It was a nicer color - off-white with turquoise and charcoal accents) and will be ordered Monday and in the shop Thursday! I can't pick it up until Friday though. They will take the measurements from my Retul fit from a few years ago and it should need very little tweaking.

They gave me an awesome deal- not that much over the list price for a regular Ruby comp, so I will get all my accessories there.
    Whew- glad that's taken care of. I can't wait to ride on Saturday!!!

Yay!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I love hearing about bike purchases in the works!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Awesome. Can't wait to see pics -- it sounds beautiful, but fit and ride are definitely the most important things. I hope you will have many happy rides on her!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I love hearing about bike purchases in the works!
    Yay! Me too. All the fun, but with your money.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Or in this case, with the insurance company's money......