Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Chapter in Life: Pregnancy and selling my mountain bike -

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I are expecting our first child (that's awesome and not a bummer!), but I've come to the conclusion that I need to sell my mountain bike. It's not for financial reasons, but I just don't foresee us riding anytime soon -- I would imagine that any free time we have, we'd want to spend with our new bundle of joy. We're both attorneys so free time is already precious as it is, so I don't see mountain biking again for another 2-3 years (at least). And by then, I'd prefer to just buy a new mountain bike. I'm still keeping my road bike, but mountain biking is my first love and I'm so sad about that. Gone are the days when my husband and I would ride for 8 hours.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations where I can sell my mountain bike? I'll probably post on the usual places like craigslist, but I'm wondering if any of you ladies have any idea. Thanks, everyone!!

Excuse the title, I didn't realize sound so depressing! My goodness. Now I can't change it! Sheesh. In all honesty, we're very happy about our baby and can't wait to take him on the trails with us. What a poor choice of words for the thread name. I don't want to sound like I'm taking our baby for granted.
    Last edited by cal4ever; 01-14-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Congratulations! You might not be riding single track for a while, but yes it won't be long before you can attach a trailer to a bike and ride with your little one. And I would think the mountain bike would be better suited for that than a road bike.

Years ago I used to do long road rides with a certain friend. He decided a month before the birth of his first child that he would do one century per month for the entire year (to which I laughed and said, does your wife know?). Anyway, that plan quickly evaporated. But before long he was hooking a trailer up to one of his bikes and riding with his son on local trails to various county parks. A couple of years later their daughter was born and soon she was joining Dad and Brother in the trailer. The kids are in elementary school now, riding their own bikes or with Mom or Dad on a tandem. Over the years they have visited every park and playground in our county (and there are lots of them), always traveling by bike.

Maybe someday my friend will do long rides with me again, but for now he is enjoying himself quite a bit with the riding that he's doing.

Good luck with your next chapter!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! I thought about keeping it and riding flat fire roads, but there's not a lot of that here in SoCal (unless someone can tell me where!). My husband and I usually ride single track, and the terrain here is mostly hills/mountains. Not much flat fire roads. I'll check around though and see if it's feasible to ride with a trailer attached.

As for my bike it's an XS 2015 Giants Liv Intrigue 1 (here's a link http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/18793/76204/). It's fairly stock, except I changed the drop post to a K2, 120mm and the tires. I just bought it last year after riding a Pivot 5.7 for several years. I'm in LA if anyone is interested.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Best wishes baby, cal4fever!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by cal4ever View Post
    Thanks for all of the tips, everyone! I thought about keeping it and riding flat fire roads, but there's not a lot of that here in SoCal (unless someone can tell me where!). My husband and I usually ride single track, and the terrain here is mostly hills/mountains. Not much flat fire roads. I'll check around though and see if it's feasible to ride with a trailer attached.

As for my bike it's an XS 2015 Giants Liv Intrigue 1 (here's a link http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/18793/76204/). It's fairly stock, except I changed the drop post to a K2, 120mm and the tires. I just bought it last year after riding a Pivot 5.7 for several years. I'm in LA if anyone is interested.

I may know someone who would like it, and I'm pretty sure they are in CA. Please PM me the particulars... thanks!!
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Best wishes whatever you decide cal4ever, especially with that new baby!

You can post on Girlz Gone Riding Los Angeles and Girlz Gone Riding Inland Empire and Girlz Gone Riding San Diego depending on where in SoCal you are at

Craigslist also works great. A lot of people do use the Bicycle Blue book for pricing reference as a buyer. So, if you price high, you might not get a lot of people emailing you. Put out a lot of "tags" at the bottom of your Craigslist ad so that you can get more people looking at your ad
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)