Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gratitude

Gratitude

To disable ads, please log-in.

They say that expressing gratitude is good for your health. Maybe we should start a thread to mention people, places and things we're grateful for. Big, small or in-between.

At this very minute, I'm listening to a free EP that the Foo Fighters released last November as a thank-you to their fans at the end of their Sonic Highways (broken leg) tour. The songs make me happy. And it was a free download. I am grateful for their expression of gratitude.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Great idea, NY!

I'm grateful for being able to see the ocean today and smell the salt air while I read my book.

Electra Townie 7D

I am deeply grateful for this Oliver Sacks quote, which was in an essay published in the NY Times after he found out he had terminal cancer. I'm carting a copy around with me--that's how helpful I find it:

"My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved; I have been given much and I have given something in return; I have read and traveled and thought and written. I have had an intercourse with the world, the special intercourse of writers and readers.
    Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure."--Oliver Sacks.

For anyone who wants to see the whole essay, which he wrote after learning his nine-year cancer had become terminal. An inspiration right to the end and a man who made the world better. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/op...ancer.html?_r=.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm grateful for finding clinical placement this semester and not having to push back my graduation by a semester.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I’m usually grateful I’ve joined the world for another day as I wake up and I’m grateful for a days unexpected moments of caring and connection.

And grateful for being able to ride today on an oxnard farm road.

I’ve liked Sachs since my first readings in college to ‘on the move..a life’ last summer….and I’m grateful for another quote from that n.y. times essay…” I have to live in the richest, deepest, most productive way I can.”

thinking I’m just a grateful kind of person
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I'm grateful I can run, and that I could still run back when my injuries kept me from doing almost anything else.

Grateful I have a reasonably current backup since my laptop hard drive crashed last night. Grateful that I'm on an even enough emotional keel ATM that it hasn't completely freaked me out, and that I have my tablet to get me through in the interim.

Lots of things, big and small - thank YOU for starting this thread.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm grateful for an online community where I can learn about free downloads from my favorite band! I loved the note.

I'm rather grumpy about work lately, and I'm grateful for colleagues that can help me keep my spirits up. I'm thankful that I can call some of them friends as well as colleagues.

I do a gratitude reflection every night as I get ready to sleep. It helps me keep things in perspective when work gets crazy.

Right now I am grateful that I teach the most amazing young adults, and that they think being a science nerd is cool.

I am grateful for just about everything in my life. Not that it didn't take a large amount of hard work to get to where I am today, but sometimes even hard work doesn't change things.
    I think I am mostly grateful that my sons turned out to be wonderful and unique human beings. They are on different paths, but so similar.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Grateful today for sunshine and DH's guitar playing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Trying to flip the oncoming onslaught of snow into something positive, because I really could do without it! -- Today I am grateful that winter is only a temporary thing, and that some of you will finally have decent snow for skiing, fat biking, etc. Very grateful that my parents have someone to shovel the snow for them and that they're always so well prepared for storms and the power outages that often accompany them, and for my niece and nephews and their friends who make time to help out their grandparents when needed. And grateful to be related to good people even though the girls' weekend with the cousins will most likely be cancelled due to the snow this weekend.

Gone but not forgotten:

Grateful this evening for the soft squishiness of single-ply merino yarn as I work on a swatch for a hat I'm considering knitting. Thankful for a boss who is able to look past my shortcomings and give me a performance review that could not be better. Thankful for a church community in which I feel both welcome and a member of (first time in a long time). And last, but far from least, am VERY thankful to have a roof over my head, central heat, and able to live somewhere that I feel safe.

Long list tonight. We had a "dusting" of snow this evening with temps just below freezing, and apparently the local DOTs didn't pre-treat the roads, leaving thousands of us trying to drive home from work on icy roads. I don't remember exactly when I left the office, but I think it took about 2.5 hours to make what is usually a 35-minute trip. So thank you to:

- the meteorologists I follow on Twitter and watch on local news, for telling me to be prepared for the tonight's snow.
    - the firefighters, EMTs and police who are out there helping people in this mess -- and every mess.
    - my 8th grade physics teacher, for teaching me what I needed to know about the laws of motion to be able to drive safely on slick roads, and especially how to get up the untreated hills.
    - my friend who showed me, on the way home from a bike ride years ago, how to cut over from I-66 to Route 50 when 66 is jammed, and also pointed out that shopping center in between. I stopped at the grocery store there tonight to take a break and pick up the last few things I'll need to get me through the "crippling blizzard" this weekend.
    - the people driving the trucks that treated Routes 50 and 7 inside the beltway.
    - the driver of the car making the right on red at the intersection near my office, for pulling up far enough for me to not crash into you as I discovered to my horror that the roads in that area were utterly untreated and that my brakes were completely non-existent above 10 mph.
    - to the service manager at the local Toyota dealer who has kept my car running well for more than 100k miles -- it's easier to remain calm under bad conditions when you know you can trust your car.

ETA: Many thanks to whichever school teacher taught me how to read a map. Knowing multiple east-west routes and how to get between them when the one I was on jammed on got me home at least an hour earlier than I would have if I'd only known one way to get home.
    Last edited by ny biker; 01-20-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Wow, NY, I'm so glad you're okay!

Electra Townie 7D

Glad to hear you didn't crash and you are ok NY!