Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks Emily, I must admit that it feels like I've a LOT going on to be only 56. However I don't give up, and I'm a lot better off than some. I suspect the surgery won't wait for my 70's though I am not saying much at work about it until there is more information.

Where do I apply for a neck transplant?

As it turns out I DON'T have a meniscus tear SOME good news at last! I do have a neurosurgeon visit in a couple of weeks, time will tell how this develops. One thing is sure, there will need to be a LOT more information before I allow a neck surgery. I appreciate and am thankful for all of the helpful and supportive comments. I AM feeling a bit less depressed about this, basically just trying to get it out of my head until there is more information.

That is great news, Catrin.
    Stay warm.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Excellent news!! Getting that off your plate at this point is just wonderful.

Electra Townie 7D

Thank goodness for a little good news.

Take good care.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am ignoring the permenant restrictions he placed me on as he released me fromm the knee surgery, it is what it is. I will give it a year from the surgery and then determine if a second opinion is needed for that.

Good for you. I wish more physicians would understand those of us who lead an active lifestyle. When they issue permenant restrictions, it's done with no thought of the individual...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Good for you. I wish more physicians would understand those of us who lead an active lifestyle. When they issue permenant restrictions, it's done with no thought of the individual...
    Well, he did...it HURTS to both kneel and squat which is why he restricted it. I had the sense that he was frustrated but workman's comp will only allow him to do so much. So I will keep up with my PT exercises, test periodically. and if it's still a problem in July will consider having a 2nd opinion.

Duh, don't do squats if it hurts!
    But permanent is a long time...
    I would do exactly what you are doing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am ignoring the permenant restrictions he placed me on as he released me fromm the knee surgery, it is what it is. I will give it a year from the surgery and then determine if a second opinion is needed for that.
    After my 2010 knee surgery the doc gave me a list of permanent restrictions, including no more bike riding, ever. I sold my beloved 7.5FX at a big loss and became even more sedentary... and promptly gained more weight. A couple of years later I see a different doc and he tells me I should be riding and swimming for fitness. *sigh*

Electra Townie 7D

These days, I pick my doctors to be athletes. Both my family doc clinic--all runners, hikers, mountain climbers, riders--and the ankle surgeons I consulted when I found the tendon damage--are also very used to working with athletes, so they know how to advise us well in that context.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Yup, that is exactly where I am at. I chose a much younger and active primary care doctor and my PT is a cyclist, runner, and x country skier. I was tired of being told to "ride 5 miles" by overweight men, my age, who can't comprehend my lifestyle.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I tried that route, chose a doctor who was team physician for the university basketball team. He treated me like a busted up old lady, no respect, no regard, no interest in my fitness. Very frustrating experience.

Electra Townie 7D

I also eliminated any providers that seemed to treat me a certain way because of my birthdate. I tried to get my good friend's doc, who is younger, but is a runner. He was full, so the one I chose in the same group who seemed to have an emphasis on prevention... I think that a lot of providers are so used to seeing older people in really bad medical shape, that when one of us comes in with a sports/ortho injury, it doesn't register to them that what we do is extremely important for our physical and mental health in many ways. I speak up and let them know, and if they don't get it, I am done.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I tried that route, chose a doctor who was team physician for the university basketball team. He treated me like a busted up old lady, no respect, no regard, no interest in my fitness. Very frustrating experience.
    Hmm. My chiropractor "up north" treats varsity athletes at a top-ranked Div 1-A program. My "southern" chiropractor treats a handful of professional athletes (NBA and MLB) as their personal physician in their off-seasons. Never got that kind of vibe from either of them.

Back when I was younger, starting with the knee I sprained when I was 16 and up through the hand injury I had about 10 years ago, I had a whole list of injuries wind up with complications because I followed MDs' advice to rest and stay off it. I'm just pretty much done with them ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler