Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XC Skiing?

XC Skiing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My assistant executive director was singing the praises of XC Skiing today. He thinks it would be perfect for me since I love to be outdoors, exercise and endurance activities. He insisted that falls are quite rare since you are on a plowed track of different levels and feet never leave the ground, and that it's quite low impact for the knees.

What he describes is not what I think of when I think about cross-country skiing. Comments, thoughts on what he said?

I just did it for the first time last week and loved it. Did traditional, not skate. I did fall, but it wasn't nearly as scary as downhill, which I never took to. I fell during a call doing a balance drill, which I sort of suck at anyway. I learned a lot in the class and had a great time on the trails. Can't wait to do it again.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

That is encouraging, and congratulations on having fun! Would you agree that it's low impact on bad knees?

Definitely. It's like running, but with no impact.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Interesting...something to check out next winter! I think I would have to travel north to do it but time will tell. I've still not been released from the knee surgery but I expect that at my next visit.

About the only thing lower impact would be swimming. Around here XC skiing is really popular amongst cyclists who don't ride outdoors in the Winter.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    About the only thing lower impact would be swimming. Around here XC skiing is really popular amongst cyclists who don't ride outdoors in the Winter.
    I don't swim so that isn't an option. This winter I'm limited to TWO machines that doesn't hurt my knee, and lots of kettlebell swings for cardio. It would be nice to have another option if it's something I can do without an overnight trip and not spend a fortune getting started...hmmmm

Oh, it's low-impact all right, since you spend all your time sliding your feet inches above the ground. You can't have totally cruddy knees, though, as the chance of twisting a knee in a fall is there (since you're essentially wearing a huge lever on your foot). But that's not until you get up to high speeds and/or start getting reckless, so nothing to worry about really. We don't have tracks rated by difficulty so I can't speak for that, but in general falls are more like slides, you sit down and skid along until you stop. On an easy, flat track you'd just sit down, no sliding.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

It is low, low impact. However, saying you won't fall (especially in the learning stage) isn't exactly true. I am a good intermediate level skier, classic style. I am not fast, fast, but I can climb like crazy and the fear I have of downhills in cycling is not there when I ski. I love x country skiing, almost more than riding, because I don't get to do it as much. However, I skied on beginner trails for like 15 years, because I was too afraid of big falls or descending. It only took a couple of trips with our cycling friends, and I was out on the blue trails. You will fall in the beginning, just getting the coordination down. Sometimes, you fall climbing, when an edge slips out, but that's more like a knee or thigh down. Not a big fall. Obviously, you can fall more descending, but you can also learn to control your speed on skinny skis! I hardly fall at all, now and when I do, it's usually when i am climbing, tired, and my position gets out of whack.
    And, falling on snow is much less scary than falling on the road or trail.
    Go for it, Catrin.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

There are two different kinds of XC skiing, classic and skate. Catrin, which one are you talking about?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    There are two different kinds of XC skiing, classic and skate. Catrin, which one are you talking about?
    I have no idea which one I mean Irulan, I was going on conversations with others and I need to do some research when I've a chance I'm unsure how realistic it is for me to consider around here anyway, and it couldn't happen this winter. Are both types done on manicured trails? I was told of golf courses that convert to XC skiing in the winter, though I doubt any are local.

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Thanks Irulan! I must admit it sounds like fun, even though I'm still gun-shy from my fall last March that I'm still recovering from. I will research further and if I can find a reasonable close place to try it out next season without breaking the bank I will try it!

The great thing about nordic skiing, is that even if you are at a nordic center, the price is very cheap (10-20), as compared to downhill skiing. And, you can also access trails in the woods, if you don't mind untracked skiing.
    Golf courses around here no longer allow any winter activity on their grounds. They are afraid of lawsuits. However, we do have one very popular place, that is a municpal golf course that turns into an x country center in hte winter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

A quick search appears to indicate that my two favorite parks here allow Nordic skiing. There do appear to be some options in Central Indiana so it's worth looking into for next season depending on how my knee progresses