Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Fat bikers out there???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey ladies,

I am interested in getting a fat bike but do not really see any reviews by women online anywhere. I first saw some fat bike races when I was skiing up north in MI at Crystal Mountain, and have been curious ever since. I would like to add one to my stable in the near future. I feel it may be a good option since I live in a place where Winter can seem quite long and, it may be nice to take a break from the trainer and actually have a dedicated winter bike.

Please let me know if you have a fat bike and which one you have...also how do you like it???
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I've only put a few miles on one and will say FUN! But also (the reason for only a couple of miles) you need to have good knees, the rolling resistance is really noticeable if you have cruddy knees.

Electra Townie 7D

Good to know...I found one I want to try out in my size but it is 1.5 hours away. May try to talk the hubby into taking a drive up North this weekend. I have heard they are tons of fun
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

I've seen them in action on local trails and they look like so much fun! No helpful information there...(pst, just get one already) There is a local bike shop that keeps posting an ad on craig's list for a fat bike TRIKE and my desire to buy it is only slightly less than my fear of the consequences (i.e. spousal wrath, ridicule of friends who think I have too many bikes...).

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

LOL yes the N+1 is strong with us....

I do not need another bike just want a fat bike so bad.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

We've been thinking about it, too. I was a terrible mountain biker, but I think I could handle snow better than rocks and roots. And, I might not be adverse to riding one on the crappy roads, after a storm.
    There don't seem to be many options for short people, though. I found a junior fat bike that did meet my measurement requirements. The smallest woman's fat bike I've seen is 15 inches, which is the size of my mountain bike, which was too big.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Is it harder to pedal on a fat bike? Just wondering with all that tire tread if it makes for a more challenging ride.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I found both of these bikes at a large bike shop in the Boston area. Not a shop I like (they treated me horribly when I bought my mtb there, in 2004).
    Not sure if we will bite the bullet on the fatties this year or next. I also want to get a mixte, for when we move to the condo, to ride into town... and maybe a gravel bike, too. No!!!!!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Eh, one ti bike is enough! The only other shop that I know sells Surly is Harris Cyclery and they s**k for other reasons. I went there once to look at a touring bike and the guy treated us like lepers when we told them what kind of road bikes we had. It was like reverse snobbism. Yeah, I know Sheldon is rolling in his grave. But, it was not fun for me to go there. Plus, he knew nothing about fitting. And, yes,, I am picky, especially if I feel a whiff of sexism. I would be willing to go to the shop that has the Surlys, as they are large and have a good inventory. Plus, I was a cycling newbie (about 4 years) when I bought my mtb. I depended totally on my DH.
    We have a lot going on, and building up a bike is not in the cards right now. If I buy it, I'll buy the total package.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

they are very popular here. I do not have one, but several of the guys we ride with do, and they say it takes a lot of work to get them going. we rode with one of our friends last week that has one, not sure which bike, I do know it is carbon and he said under 27 pounds, and that it is still hard to get it going.

I could use this as an excuse for not going fast! Seriously, a tank with flat pedals seems like a nice change from my 15-17 lb. road bikes.
    Especially in the snow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sky King, any comments?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I test rode a Medium Specialized Hellga (womens version) and a Fat Boy last night after work--I was loving them both. OMG it instantly put a smile on my face and made me feel like a kid again. They are so much fun!! I love skiing-- both cross country and downhill. I see many ski areas grooming trails for fat bike use too. It would be a welcome addition to our ski weekends/holiday. something else to do while exploring the wooded trails ....am I talking my self into getting one LOL
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

Well, I put a deposit down on a Specialized Hellga yesterday, I got the Medium size in White. Can not wait to bring her home.....just have to wait for taxes to come in. I will post pictures up as soon as I pick it up. I have to buy a spacer kit for my 1UP bike rack now............so excited.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C