Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

they are very popular here. I do not have one, but several of the guys we ride with do, and they say it takes a lot of work to get them going. we rode with one of our friends last week that has one, not sure which bike, I do know it is carbon and he said under 27 pounds, and that it is still hard to get it going.

I could use this as an excuse for not going fast! Seriously, a tank with flat pedals seems like a nice change from my 15-17 lb. road bikes.
    Especially in the snow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I could use this as an excuse for not going fast! Seriously, a tank with flat pedals seems like a nice change from my 15-17 lb. road bikes.
    Especially in the snow.
    Exactly the purpose of the single-speed Krampus with flat pedals, minus the snow. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	990523d1432331388-2015-ss-pics-2015-05-10-15_23_55.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	17913

I'm sure Sky King could discuss the pros and cons of fat bikes versus mid-fat. (Unless you are against a mid-fat. A mid-fat is definitely a tank compared to the other bikes you mention).
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Sky King, any comments?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Just FYI, I have 'regular' wheels on my Krampus, they are only 35 mm. I put standard sized mb tires on them. Both these things reduced cost. The bike is designed to use 50 mm wheels (and take 3 inch tires). So mine doesn't look as fat as it could. I consider it an advantage that it uses either. And Fat Bikes often need non-standard hubs and the like. Mine are 100 in the front, and 135 in the rear, which is the same as other 29ers.

OTOH, snow. There is no snow where I live. My avatar is a winter picture. See the yellow grass in the background.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 01-07-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I test rode a Medium Specialized Hellga (womens version) and a Fat Boy last night after work--I was loving them both. OMG it instantly put a smile on my face and made me feel like a kid again. They are so much fun!! I love skiing-- both cross country and downhill. I see many ski areas grooming trails for fat bike use too. It would be a welcome addition to our ski weekends/holiday. something else to do while exploring the wooded trails ....am I talking my self into getting one LOL
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post
    I test rode a Medium Specialized Hellga (womens version) and a Fat Boy last night after work--I was loving them both. OMG it instantly put a smile on my face and made me feel like a kid again. They are so much fun!! I love skiing-- both cross country and downhill. I see many ski areas grooming trails for fat bike use too. It would be a welcome addition to our ski weekends/holiday. something else to do while exploring the wooded trails ....am I talking my self into getting one LOL
    That Hellga looks like a fun ride, and the horizontal top tube is very short. I suspect the components will be more specialized for petite riders, too.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Well, I put a deposit down on a Specialized Hellga yesterday, I got the Medium size in White. Can not wait to bring her home.....just have to wait for taxes to come in. I will post pictures up as soon as I pick it up. I have to buy a spacer kit for my 1UP bike rack now............so excited.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

Well, I put a deposit down on a Specialized Hellga yesterday, I got the Medium size in White. Can not wait to bring her home.....just have to wait for taxes to come in. I will post pictures up as soon as I pick it up. I have to buy a spacer kit for my 1UP bike rack now............so excited.
    Congrats!!

I like it for me, too. I think the large would work. How tall are you. (Note, I do NOT need it!!).

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I am 5' 6" tall with a short torso and longer legs. I tried a Medium Fatboy which would be like the large Hellga and I could have gone with either. I did feel a tad bit more stretched out on the Med fatboy so went with the Med Hellga. The geometry of the Med Hellga is spot on with the mountain bike I have (Remedy) so, I think it is a good fit.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

I looked at the geometry of the Hellga. They do not have x-smalls (unusual for Specialized), but the small has a 26.8" standover, which is in the ballpark with my Trek Silque (27.6). It also has 165mm cranks, a necessity for me. They are on sale at my LBS...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I looked at the geometry of the Hellga. They do not have x-smalls (unusual for Specialized), but the small has a 26.8" standover, which is in the ballpark with my Trek Silque (27.6). It also has 165mm cranks, a necessity for me. They are on sale at my LBS...
    My hesitation with Surly for you was that they all come with the same size crank-arms, relatively short head tubes, large handlebars, and some of the components are the least expensive possible, thereby making it likely you will spend a lot in the future to replace.

The Hellga is available in carbon, if you choose.

I've noticed that women's sizes are better for me in mountain bikes, whereas I generally prefer men's in road bike. But I like to sit up on MB's, and want a good saddle to bars drop in road. It's all relative and preference. They actually both tend to fit me unless the geometry is unusual.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I am 5' 6" tall with a short torso and longer legs. I tried a Medium Fatboy which would be like the large Hellga and I could have gone with either. I did feel a tad bit more stretched out on the Med fatboy so went with the Med Hellga. The geometry of the Med Hellga is spot on with the mountain bike I have (Remedy) so, I think it is a good fit.
    I'm still working out my MB ideal size. A zero-offset seatpost for my KOPs usually allows me to size-up since I sit so far forward. I'm 5'7" with longer legs and arms. I do like that bigger bikes have higher head tubes, that shortens the reach considerably.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

The sale is the reason I pulled the trigger.

I really need to stop buying bikes LOL But like they say "you only live once" I think this fat bike will be super fun and there are some races I may enter in MI for fun. I already found a group ride in my area, just need to get the bike home now.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C

Yeah, I don't think Surly is the brand for me.
    I really *don't* need this bike. And... we need snow! Obviously, I won't be racing, but something is pulling me toward this bike. It's going to be rainy on Sunday, so I might just stop by the LBS Trek Chick, I am a firm believer in you only live once. It started after my uncle died at age 52. That's why we've upped our travel and are downsizing a bit earlier than planned, so we will have $ to continue traveling. Cycling and x country skiing is what we do, so I don't feel badly about spending the $, as others spend on things a lot less healthy!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura