Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Winter Outdoor Sports (non-cycling)

I didn't want to limit this thread to hiking as I know I'm not the only one getting out there in the winter on non-cycling activities.

Today I hiked three miles with a couple of friends, and for the very first time since my knee surgery 5 months ago it felt great! It was a pretty flat trail - very close to answering my "no personality" description, but my point is it's the first time in 5 months that it actually FELT that way. I didn't slow my friends down due to my moving at a snail pace (cause I wasn't).

I wasn't sure about my clothing choice since it's been VERY warm since October and the high today was 32. Thankful for keeping all of my old cycling thermal clothing so I had my PI Amfib tights under my jeans, two wool layers underneath my REI jacket, and my PI skull cap below my stocking cap, and hiking sock liners underneath my medium weight Smartwool hiking socks. It may sound like I was overdressed for only 32 degrees, but I am one of those who freezes all winter. The only thing that was too much was my gloves, I took my two-layer semi-lobster type gloves and my hands were almost hot. Considering they get cold in the SUMMER I don't think it a bad choice. I would prefer my hands be a bit too warm than too cold. I was quite comfortable and the only thing that really got cold was my throat.

All in all it was a great hike, and a milestone for me since my surgery. Knee felt fine, it's finally time to start heading to more challenging trails. Now...if I could just drive in my hiking boots, I am NOT looking forward to changing from shoes to boots at the trail-head, but there is no way I can drive in my beloved hiking boots.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better Catrin... that's awesome! I also would say that it doesn't matter what others think of your clothing choices, we're all built different and know what we need or don't need. ME: I'm waiting to have a hip replaced, so am not able to do a whole lot... can ride the trainer for a short time, but the xc ski's and fatbike will get a rest this year. It will all be so much better in the long run

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better Catrin... that's awesome! I also would say that it doesn't matter what others think of your clothing choices, we're all built different and know what we need or don't need. ME: I'm waiting to have a hip replaced, so am not able to do a whole lot... can ride the trainer for a short time, but the xc ski's and fatbike will get a rest this year. It will all be so much better in the long run

Happy New Year!
    I must have missed this, sorry you have to do this but hope it goes well! Glad you can at least get on the trainer for a short time, can you walk outside at all?

We've got snow

After an overly warm year last year - no snow on many mountains and record lows at places like Paradise on Mt. Rainier, this year, which was supposed to be similar is boldly defying the forecasters and we've a ton of it now. Being extra careful to choose our routes (a ton of snow can mean a ton of avalanche danger, as well as tree wells and other hazards), we've actually been able to get out and really use the snowshoes we bought last year.

A few pics from yesterday - Wenatchee crest, looking out over the Stewarts

hmmmmm….. the forum won't let me embed or link from my flickr stream… so here's a link to the album- https://flic.kr/s/aHsks1vyig
    Last edited by Eden; 01-03-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I do walk for a short distance with my dog, thankfully she is patient But it will get better with time, and you're a prime example of that. Do you have any snow on the ground? Wondered if you would be able to snowshoe?

Those are awesome pictures,Eden! I am praying we see some of that, soon. Just a sprinkling of icy snow left on the grassy surfaces here. A friend went up to Bretton Woods to x country ski and said it's marginal conditions. We are going to Stowe for 5 days in February, but i need to ski before that. We hit the jackpot in Stowe 2 years ago, but we've also had 2 trips with little or no skiing, only some snow shoeing. Usually, I get to Bretton Woods, Franconia once or twice, as well as trips to our favorite close nordic center, in southern NH before we do our February thing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I do walk for a short distance with my dog, thankfully she is patient But it will get better with time, and you're a prime example of that. Do you have any snow on the ground? Wondered if you would be able to snowshoe?
    I don't think my knee will ever feel like it did before the fall and resulting surgery, but it is feeling much better. We've not had ANY snow so far this year, but even if we did I am scared at the idea of snowshoes. With my knee not being quite right, I'm afraid the different movement required by the snowshoes would make a fall or wrenching my knee more likely. Perhaps not, but that's my fear. Having said all of that I've never been on them.

I suspect that I should save up for/get the trekking poles and use them unless/until my knee gets back to "normal" for me. They DID feel better in my hands than my larger hiking stick and they seemed to change how I moved. I don't think I need them for all hiking, but for trails with steep downhills I think I need them.

Eden, those are wonderful pictures! As much of a winter-weather weenie as I'm known to be, there is something so peaceful about hiking in snow-covered woods with VERY cold temps. Far more pleasant than snow-cover and, say, temps in the upper 20's and I'm less likely to have cold-air induced asthma. I suspect because the really cold air has less moisture that it is easier to tolerate with the right clothing. Perhaps...

Well, as I always say, Catrin you know yourself better than anyone else... so enjoy your hikes! As you mentioned, over time you'll figure out whether you'll be able to snowshoe at all. Either way... enjoy your time doing something totally different!

Eden: Great photos, love the colors!

It really is smart, and it's more than a "buck fifty" as my aunt used to say

It's also about more than that, they will take back anything for any reason. That is smart! My poles are a good example, I can easily switch them for, as an example, those more spendy shock absorber version should I find out after using them that my hands really do need it. Can't think of many stores that would do that with used trekking poles...
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-16-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    It's also about more than that, they will take back anything for any reason. That is smart! My poles are a good example, I can easily switch them for, as an example, those more spendy shock absorber version should I find out after using them that my hands really do need it. Can't think of many stores that would do that with used trekking poles...
    Remember the new 1 year limit, though. My experience is that they are holding to that, even when things failed that shouldn't have. I honestly buy less these now - not that I returned much before - but I find that their prices are generally a little higher. That used to be worth it to me (extra insurance), and is no longer.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Remember the new 1 year limit, though. My experience is that they are holding to that, even when things failed that shouldn't have. I honestly buy less these now - not that I returned much before - but I find that their prices are generally a little higher. That used to be worth it to me (extra insurance), and is no longer.
    I think that rule makes sense, though I see your point as well. I personally know people who have taken advantage of their old rule, and they surely weren't the only ones.. It isn't like I'm going to buy a lot of expensive things from them. With my various broken body parts I can't even go backpacking and have to stick with day-hikes with my hydration pack. I find that very satisfying, thankfully, thus the need is removed for their wonderful (and very expensive) outdoors clothing for the most part, and I don't need much equipment for day hiking :-) For me the little higher price on the trekking poles was worth it if it turns out I need the more advanced version, & I get $11 or so back. It's probably a good thing they don't sell my hiking boots of choice, they do sell Salomon's, just not my preferred model. This is probably a good thing, price wise.

That WOULD hurt on a bike purchase or an expensive tent/etc if there were a problem that wasn't user-related....
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.

I find that I don't go back to REI nearly as often because no matter how I tell myself I only need the one item I went there to purchase...I can't pass up the sale racks. I received a gift certificate from REI for Christmas and sure enough, I spent three times the gift certificate amount :-) I just see SO many things I need when I go there (OH, and I've learned the hard way that I definitely don't take my fifteen year old either, he has my same problem). I do like shopping at their online outlet store though.

I DID find a great winter/hiking coat on the sales rack in December at a $70 discount...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I DID find a great winter/hiking coat on the sales rack in December at a $70 discount...
    Glad I'm not the only one! You're in Indy right? I work just north of downtown, but live in Columbus so it is a special trip when we drive to Castleton to visit REI. And BGI North. And the Lego Store (already sounding expensive).

AND there will be an IKEA here in a couple years. I've never been to one so will have to check it out.

I went hiking this weekend with my new trekking poles, they aren't shiny clean now :-) The trail was not the test that I wanted it to be, all of the mtb trails were barricaded off as they are SO muddy that is the only way to get people to leave them alone. So we were, once again, on a flat trail with lots of kids and dogs. Still had fun though, almost 3 miles in <90 minutes so I think that was fine. Hopefully next time I can test myself.