Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Winter Outdoor Sports (non-cycling)

To disable ads, please log-in.

I didn't want to limit this thread to hiking as I know I'm not the only one getting out there in the winter on non-cycling activities.

Today I hiked three miles with a couple of friends, and for the very first time since my knee surgery 5 months ago it felt great! It was a pretty flat trail - very close to answering my "no personality" description, but my point is it's the first time in 5 months that it actually FELT that way. I didn't slow my friends down due to my moving at a snail pace (cause I wasn't).

I wasn't sure about my clothing choice since it's been VERY warm since October and the high today was 32. Thankful for keeping all of my old cycling thermal clothing so I had my PI Amfib tights under my jeans, two wool layers underneath my REI jacket, and my PI skull cap below my stocking cap, and hiking sock liners underneath my medium weight Smartwool hiking socks. It may sound like I was overdressed for only 32 degrees, but I am one of those who freezes all winter. The only thing that was too much was my gloves, I took my two-layer semi-lobster type gloves and my hands were almost hot. Considering they get cold in the SUMMER I don't think it a bad choice. I would prefer my hands be a bit too warm than too cold. I was quite comfortable and the only thing that really got cold was my throat.

All in all it was a great hike, and a milestone for me since my surgery. Knee felt fine, it's finally time to start heading to more challenging trails. Now...if I could just drive in my hiking boots, I am NOT looking forward to changing from shoes to boots at the trail-head, but there is no way I can drive in my beloved hiking boots.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better Catrin... that's awesome! I also would say that it doesn't matter what others think of your clothing choices, we're all built different and know what we need or don't need. ME: I'm waiting to have a hip replaced, so am not able to do a whole lot... can ride the trainer for a short time, but the xc ski's and fatbike will get a rest this year. It will all be so much better in the long run

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better Catrin... that's awesome! I also would say that it doesn't matter what others think of your clothing choices, we're all built different and know what we need or don't need. ME: I'm waiting to have a hip replaced, so am not able to do a whole lot... can ride the trainer for a short time, but the xc ski's and fatbike will get a rest this year. It will all be so much better in the long run

Happy New Year!
    I must have missed this, sorry you have to do this but hope it goes well! Glad you can at least get on the trainer for a short time, can you walk outside at all?

We've got snow

After an overly warm year last year - no snow on many mountains and record lows at places like Paradise on Mt. Rainier, this year, which was supposed to be similar is boldly defying the forecasters and we've a ton of it now. Being extra careful to choose our routes (a ton of snow can mean a ton of avalanche danger, as well as tree wells and other hazards), we've actually been able to get out and really use the snowshoes we bought last year.

A few pics from yesterday - Wenatchee crest, looking out over the Stewarts

hmmmmm….. the forum won't let me embed or link from my flickr stream… so here's a link to the album- https://flic.kr/s/aHsks1vyig
    Last edited by Eden; 01-03-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I do walk for a short distance with my dog, thankfully she is patient But it will get better with time, and you're a prime example of that. Do you have any snow on the ground? Wondered if you would be able to snowshoe?

Those are awesome pictures,Eden! I am praying we see some of that, soon. Just a sprinkling of icy snow left on the grassy surfaces here. A friend went up to Bretton Woods to x country ski and said it's marginal conditions. We are going to Stowe for 5 days in February, but i need to ski before that. We hit the jackpot in Stowe 2 years ago, but we've also had 2 trips with little or no skiing, only some snow shoeing. Usually, I get to Bretton Woods, Franconia once or twice, as well as trips to our favorite close nordic center, in southern NH before we do our February thing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I do walk for a short distance with my dog, thankfully she is patient But it will get better with time, and you're a prime example of that. Do you have any snow on the ground? Wondered if you would be able to snowshoe?
    I don't think my knee will ever feel like it did before the fall and resulting surgery, but it is feeling much better. We've not had ANY snow so far this year, but even if we did I am scared at the idea of snowshoes. With my knee not being quite right, I'm afraid the different movement required by the snowshoes would make a fall or wrenching my knee more likely. Perhaps not, but that's my fear. Having said all of that I've never been on them.

I suspect that I should save up for/get the trekking poles and use them unless/until my knee gets back to "normal" for me. They DID feel better in my hands than my larger hiking stick and they seemed to change how I moved. I don't think I need them for all hiking, but for trails with steep downhills I think I need them.

Eden, those are wonderful pictures! As much of a winter-weather weenie as I'm known to be, there is something so peaceful about hiking in snow-covered woods with VERY cold temps. Far more pleasant than snow-cover and, say, temps in the upper 20's and I'm less likely to have cold-air induced asthma. I suspect because the really cold air has less moisture that it is easier to tolerate with the right clothing. Perhaps...

Well, as I always say, Catrin you know yourself better than anyone else... so enjoy your hikes! As you mentioned, over time you'll figure out whether you'll be able to snowshoe at all. Either way... enjoy your time doing something totally different!

Eden: Great photos, love the colors!

One of these days I would like to try snowshoes, right now I'm just too skittish That might change if we get a lot of snow and then have calm weather afterwards.

STILL waiting for some legitimate snow so that my DS and I can use our BRAND NEW XC skis that we've been sitting on since a week before Thanksgiving. So frustrating living in the snow belt and having a fraction of our usual 10 or so seasonal feet. I think we've had about 6", total. Right now there's still not enough on the ground...maybe 3". If it's going to be cold and gray it needs to be useful for doing stuff.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Sigh. It's 7F right now, clear and sunny. And, about 2 inches or less of crusty snow/ice on grassy surfaces. Waiting for winter, still, despite the cold.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

You should move our way. We had no snow (green Christmas) but 2 days later we've had 2 dumpings of white gold and now have a good 2 feet (if not more) of fresh snow.

Today was a brutal -25c (when I left for work) but should -6 by tomorrow which would be perfect for a winter activity.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Had fun hiking today! A beautiful, if strange for the end of January, 57 degrees today and I called a friend from church to go hiking. I'm beginning to wonder IF my knee/quad will get stronger, but the two hiking poles really helped me out quite a lot. It was quite muddy, but the trails didn't have much topography which makes it difficult for them to drain. My knee isn't ready for more aggressive trails yet, but am thankful to be able to hike at a more normal speed :-) 2.7 miles in 1:08. I will take it!

It's so warm here, that I rode Wednesday and will ride again today. I could have gone out yesterday afternoon, but I had stuff to do, so I went to a 45 minute Tabata class. It's supposed to be warm until Thursday, so I may actually ride to work on Tuesday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It's so warm here, that I rode Wednesday and will ride again today. I could have gone out yesterday afternoon, but I had stuff to do, so I went to a 45 minute Tabata class. It's supposed to be warm until Thursday, so I may actually ride to work on Tuesday.
    Nice! It got to 60 degrees here, both yesterday and today Very strange, and welcome, for this time of the year. Hiked yesterday, neck and knee demanding a rest day today but am glad I went out yesterday. Tomorrow - either gym after work or will come home to play with kettlebells.