Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nice area to ride in Crankin, at least it sounds like it.

Apparently my kettlebell training + hiking yesterday fired me up. Instead of settling down to an afternoon of knitting and reading after grocery shopping, something rather different happened. I always get a bit depressed this time of the year, and rearranging my apartment ALWAYS helps. I think it is a physical reminder that things DO change. Regardless of why, it helps. Normally I just scoot the couch around or something easy. Not this time. I totally rearranged my bedroom, moved my huge leaning bookcases around in my living room (one also multi-tasks as my desk for the 50+ pound all-in-one 27 inch PC), did laundry, and went through lots of paperwork. Didn't stop moving for about 6 hours once I got started and I like the results. Will need to do a bit of paint touch-up. I've been thinking about this layout for a few months now, guess it was finally time to get it done and so I did. I managed to finally sit down and knit at 8 pm.

That sounds like a lot of work!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    That sounds like a lot of work!
    It WAS, but am glad to have done it. Most of what I did I have been considering since before Christmas so apparently it was just time to get it done. I'm resisting the urge to wash windows and patio doors this afternoon - am leaving for a class in an hour and there isn't time. Full spring fever mode, apparently

I have never had an urge to wash windows. Probably never will.

I do need to start cleaning out closets as part of my plan to get new cork floors in place of the nasty old wall to wall carpet.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I have never had an urge to wash windows. Probably never will.

I do need to start cleaning out closets as part of my plan to get new cork floors in place of the nasty old wall to wall carpet.
    That says how unusual/strong the spring cleaning urge was, I NEVER wash windows. My poor patio doors look awful, but only get washed twice a year I am over it now, but glad that I did all that work. The change was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    That says how unusual/strong the spring cleaning urge was, I NEVER wash windows. My poor patio doors look awful, but only get washed twice a year I am over it now, but glad that I did all that work. The change was nice.
    my outside facing walls are all floor to ceiling glass (i like light filled rooms )...even though the building cleans the outside of all windows every three months i still clean them when rain causes the light dust/dirt to leave dirty streaks, thankfully not much rain!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Wow Catrin, that took a lot of energy! Good for you for doing all that!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

4 mile hike today on an aggressive trail (with trekking poles). It went fine, my knee didn't appear to notice that something special was going on. My hiking horizons have just exploded!

Sounds like fun. I look forward to some hiking this summer.
    I was feeling a little off today, so this afternoon DH and I went for a 3 mile hilly walk. Not on a trail, just a loop around the streets. My legs will feel this tomorrow! I felt a bit guilty, as we saw at least 15 cyclists during our walk. But, my body will thank me when I ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good for you in listening to your body Crankin! If I had done a bit more of that over the last 6 years...

I am trying, Catrin, but it's kind of like training my brain not to ignore the signals. I am old enough to see that if I want to keep doing this until I die, I need to listen. For me, it's more flare ups of the allergies and "supposed" fibromyalgia that I have to consider. But also, my SI joint.
    My calves felt that walk when I jumped out of bed this morning. Amazing what different forms of movement do.
    Heading out to Ikea (45 minutes away) to buy a very important piece of furniture for our new place. The piece that will hold all of our cycling/hiking/skiing clothing!
    Then, we will ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I hear you about having to train your brain not to ignore the signals, that is the hard part. I've certainly, generally, been at least somewhat aware of the signals but I just was accustomed to ignore them totally

Thankfully no repercussions, that I can tell at least, from yesterday's 4 mile hike. No way I could walk that far on pavement, my feet HATE pavement so I just don't. It would simplify things sometimes if I could since we have both a MUP and a canal path downtown close to where I work, but I don't even consider it.

Good luck on the new IKEA piece! I've never been to one of their stores but there is one opening in Indianapolis in the next couple years. I've been looking a chair + ottoman combination online that I'm considering - looks like a great knitting/reading comfy chair. I need one of those

I had only been there once, to buy stuff to help DS #1 outfit his first apartment out of college. It was a quick trip today; DH looked it all up on line, so we knew exactly what aisle and shelf to go to for the different pieces. DH is bringing them all over to the condo as we speak. I don't think he will tackle putting it together today, though, as he is exhausted from his first ride of the season.
    Almost time to retire this winter other sports thread.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    4 mile hike today on an aggressive trail (with trekking poles). It went fine, my knee didn't appear to notice that something special was going on. My hiking horizons have just exploded!
    That is awesome, Catrin. So happy for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So, I suppose this should go in the "other winter sports" thread, as it is not x country skiing or hiking.
    We went snow shoeing today, for the first time in 2 years, since the snowy winter of 2015. We are in the midst of the blizzard, but it didn't start ramping up until about noon time. So, after lunch, first we put on our skis and headed out the trail that connects us to a very large neighborhood. During the first storm of the season, we noticed the streets were not plowed as soon as when we lived on the hill, and thought it would be fun to ski. But, that was a Saturday, and despite all schools and work being shut down or people being told to work from home, the streets had been plowed. The snow was really sticky, as it's right at freezing, and it's heavy and wet. We were sticking to the snow and the plows were out. So, we skied back (going down a little hill in the middle of the street was fun) and got our hiking boots, snow shoes and gaiters. The wind is blowing the snow right in your face, but it is not that cold, so it was bearable. I wore my cycling rain pants over my tights and my soft-shell and it was fine. First, we walked on the edge of people's lawns, in deep snow. On the second half, we walked on the unplowed sidewalk. It was really deep and wet/heavy. Was out for about an hour and I feel like I did a lot of work! Saw no one except one dog walker and all of the plow guys.
    When I got back, saw a message on my phone that lightning was detected 2.6 miles away... I guess it was time to come in! So, not as nice as the trail right out my door in my old neighborhood, still peaceful. Tomorrow, my club is doing a ski at our local nordic center, so I will join them. I had thoughts of driving to NH to do more intense skiing, but I am too lazy. I hope I can get there this weekend. It looks like it might rain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura