Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Went for a winter hike today. We got a weird FB note from the local x country ski center we were at yesterday; the state park was closed due to a missing person investigation! So, we went out to a set of trails that is privately owned by Harvard University and also connects to both Concord and Carlisle trails. The parking at Concord end of the trail is embroiled in a controversy; homeowners hate the people and dogs on their street, so there are only 8 spots now. So, we drove to the Carlisle end, and took off on a trail we had never been on, once we got off the main trail. Very pretty, more snow than we thought, but we didn't need snow shoes. We did wear ice spikes, which also were not necessary, but it is usually icy in the there. Saw 2 x country skiers, and that was it. It was mostly rolling, and we did an out and back, since we didn't have the GPS. We were in sight of homes at the turn around, and looked on our phone to see what street we were near, but I did not want to branch out any more. We hiked for about an hour and a half, maybe 3.5 miles? It was 43 and I was sweating!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wound up playing with kettlebells at home today rather than hiking, schedule was just too tight, I hated not going outside though since it was so unusually nice for Feb and winter returns tomorrow.

That was weird Crankin, hope they found that person!

Cold, windy, and one of our few accumulating snowstorms on Valentine's Day here. So what do I do after church? I drive to the other side of town in terribly slow traffic to our local REI and purchased a lovely set of trekking poles. I've actually been researching them since December, and trying out some poles that a friend loaned me. I hope to try my favorite local trail next weekend (assuming the weather does what it is predicted to do this week), I've only hiked it once since my knee surgery and I think it will go MUCH better with the poles - and I've had my friends for long enough. She needs them.

Thankful for having a mild winter!

Yay -- enjoy the new poles, Catrin. You won't regret buying them! Ours are from REI as well and have served us well for 10 years now. :-)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Yay -- enjoy the new poles, Catrin. You won't regret buying them! Ours are from REI as well and have served us well for 10 years now. :-)
    Also got a couple things to go along with the poles, needed a replacement bladder for my Vaude hydration pack - didn't spend much extra at all. I've been waiting on those poles to go on sale but I've had my friends poles for too long, she needs them. Thought about the shock-absorbing poles for my hands but I don't think my hands are THAT bad to justify the extra $40! I do like that I get a percentage of the price back!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I do like that I get a percentage of the price back!
    A brilliant marketing strategy! I can't count how many times I've hesitated about purchasing something at REI only to tell myself "but I'll get part of it back in my annual distribution!"

It really is smart, and it's more than a "buck fifty" as my aunt used to say

It's also about more than that, they will take back anything for any reason. That is smart! My poles are a good example, I can easily switch them for, as an example, those more spendy shock absorber version should I find out after using them that my hands really do need it. Can't think of many stores that would do that with used trekking poles...
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-16-2016 at 06:10 AM.

It's also about more than that, they will take back anything for any reason. That is smart! My poles are a good example, I can easily switch them for, as an example, those more spendy shock absorber version should I find out after using them that my hands really do need it. Can't think of many stores that would do that with used trekking poles...
    Remember the new 1 year limit, though. My experience is that they are holding to that, even when things failed that shouldn't have. I honestly buy less these now - not that I returned much before - but I find that their prices are generally a little higher. That used to be worth it to me (extra insurance), and is no longer.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Remember the new 1 year limit, though. My experience is that they are holding to that, even when things failed that shouldn't have. I honestly buy less these now - not that I returned much before - but I find that their prices are generally a little higher. That used to be worth it to me (extra insurance), and is no longer.
    I think that rule makes sense, though I see your point as well. I personally know people who have taken advantage of their old rule, and they surely weren't the only ones.. It isn't like I'm going to buy a lot of expensive things from them. With my various broken body parts I can't even go backpacking and have to stick with day-hikes with my hydration pack. I find that very satisfying, thankfully, thus the need is removed for their wonderful (and very expensive) outdoors clothing for the most part, and I don't need much equipment for day hiking :-) For me the little higher price on the trekking poles was worth it if it turns out I need the more advanced version, & I get $11 or so back. It's probably a good thing they don't sell my hiking boots of choice, they do sell Salomon's, just not my preferred model. This is probably a good thing, price wise.

That WOULD hurt on a bike purchase or an expensive tent/etc if there were a problem that wasn't user-related....
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-16-2016 at 03:12 PM.

I find that I don't go back to REI nearly as often because no matter how I tell myself I only need the one item I went there to purchase...I can't pass up the sale racks. I received a gift certificate from REI for Christmas and sure enough, I spent three times the gift certificate amount :-) I just see SO many things I need when I go there (OH, and I've learned the hard way that I definitely don't take my fifteen year old either, he has my same problem). I do like shopping at their online outlet store though.

I DID find a great winter/hiking coat on the sales rack in December at a $70 discount...

I DID find a great winter/hiking coat on the sales rack in December at a $70 discount...
    Glad I'm not the only one! You're in Indy right? I work just north of downtown, but live in Columbus so it is a special trip when we drive to Castleton to visit REI. And BGI North. And the Lego Store (already sounding expensive).

AND there will be an IKEA here in a couple years. I've never been to one so will have to check it out.

I went hiking this weekend with my new trekking poles, they aren't shiny clean now :-) The trail was not the test that I wanted it to be, all of the mtb trails were barricaded off as they are SO muddy that is the only way to get people to leave them alone. So we were, once again, on a flat trail with lots of kids and dogs. Still had fun though, almost 3 miles in <90 minutes so I think that was fine. Hopefully next time I can test myself.

Hiking again today, 2.8 MUDDY miles in less than 90 minutes. Part of this trail was more aggressive than any since my knee surgery and, with my trekking poles, it was fine Now, this WASN'T the muddy part, that might have been a different story. What made this hike unusual was the presence of a trail half-marathon in the park! I tried to get away from them but that never happened, but it was fun. Their race was, in part, why the flat parts of the trail were SO muddy - a couple racers wanted to buy my poles and one was lusting over my hiking boots. Not that one could run in them but I honestly don't know how they could actually run in the deep mud for so long. Not all, some walked, but a good percentage did so. Started the day out with kettlebell training, then a couple hours later hit the trails.

Sounds like a good day, Catrin.
    I spent 2 hours unpacking stuff at the condo and then I took a break and explored the neighborhood. My new street is just a little cut-de-sac off of Main St., but there is a path to the next street, which is a huge neighborhood of circling streets, very hilly. I know there is a short trail off of one of these streets to my health club, because the one and only 5K I've done went this route, but, starting from the health club. I can walk there, going a more direct route, out my street and onto Main ST., then turn left on the street the club is on, which is exactly a mile. However, I though it might be a fun warm up to do a more hilly version (although the street the club is on is a hill/dead end) with some trail. I found the right road that the trail connects to, but I didn't go far enough. When I got home, I looked on a map, and now I think i can find it. This will be a great neighborhood to walk in, there are actually sidewalks. All of the streets are cut-de-sacs, or big circles, as there are ponds and rivers preventing the connection to other parts of the town. I never knew what was up in this area, so lots of exploring in future. It will be hilly riding, as part of a shorter ride, too. Also good for pushing that granddaughter in the stroller...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport