Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hi all, total newbie here!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I'm Rumbly, I'm 44 and totally out of shape, a US size 12 and haven't ridden a bike since I was about 12. I'm married to a cycle nut. This will probably explain why we've just signed up to cycle 400 miles across Vietnam and Cambodia to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer UK in memory of my Mum, in November 2016. We are going out to buy a bike for me next week and the panic has not yet set in! I'm reading everything I can, but would love to hear from some other curvy ladies who cycle, or anyone who has got on a bike from totally unfit novice and is doing well!
    I live in Lincolnshire, UK. I expect there will be many, many questions over the next months!

Welcome.

I've always did some type of gym throughout my life but not much of cycling (but for a ride now and then). Hubby is a bike nut too so I got into it for fun.

It helped me lose 12 pounds over a year (probably your size too) and I feel better. Still would like another 10-12 pounds by next summer and I'd be ok. At 52 I'm not asking much more.

400 miles is a lot of cycling depending on how many days it will be. The most I did in one day is 115km and it is plenty. Not being a "summer" type person, I hate too much heat. I perform better in cooler weather but it is what it is and we need to ride when we can.

Good luck in this very nice project. With a good training program you can do it. It won't be easy but doable.

It would be good if you could find someone that could build you a training program like my physiotherapist/kinesiologis does for me. It helps me reach the goals I have. Cycling is a whole and you need just as much cardio as you need to build muscles to help you push those hills/distances.

Have fun!
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Hello Rumbly. No need to panic! There is lots of time before your big ride. And congratulations on signing up for it -- it looks like it will be quite an adventure.

The best way to prepare for a challenging bike ride is to go out and ride your bike. It may sound obvious, but really it just means the best way to condition the muscles you'll need to strengthen is to do the activity that you want them to be strong for. As you ride, you'll no doubt find issues to be addressed, such as changes to the way the bike fits you, a new saddle that is more comfortable, the right clothing to wear, what to eat and drink before and during the bike ride, stuff like that. You'll find lots of information on this forum, and we're always happy to try to answer any questions.

The most important thing to remember is: have fun!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I learned how to ride at 49, was about 95 pounds overweight and totally deconditioned. It was rather intimidating, but I quickly discovered that it was fun. NY Biker gives good advice, and you will find lots of good information and support on this forum. Welcome to TE, and never forget to have fun!

That sounds like an awesome trip! You'll be fine, just take it easy and fit riding into your daily routine. Your body will adapt pretty quick- once you get some base muscles and find a proper fit, you can ride endlessly.

The best thing you can do is ride!

A good bike, with a good fit, and a great saddle will get you what you need. Quality shorts (with differing chamois between them) are important for long trips to change the pressure points on your bum.

Good for you signing up!

Welcome and good luck.
    I started cycling again at age 53, about your size. Just ride a lot and keep adding more mileage, and hills if you're going to be in hilly country. I don't know what the weather conditions on your ride will be like- but I would imagine more hot and humid, so you'll want to get some help on how to ride in those conditions. Lots of water, I'm sure.

Good luck and keep us posted as you get ready for the big adventure!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143