Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Winter Running Thread

Time to switch seasons, even though mother nature does not agree. She is stuck in spring mode around here!

I got in some great runs last week, but was just too busy/lazy to post. We did 9 on the trail yesterday. My legs were tired from our run on Friday night, but I still managed to chug along. I was trying to just get into a comfortable pace and hold it. Last w/e I did my long run too fast and although it felt really good, I know it is not what I should be doing. So I just pulled it back a tiny bit so as not too push, and let the trail be the workout.

So far this week we got in an easy 4 miler on Tuesday and 6 yesterday morning. It is ridiculously warm here. I ran in my lightest summer running top yesterday and shorts. It was 65 at 6:30 am and 100% humidity. Blech. I am sure the trails will be a swampy mess tomorrow. We are going to have to chat a bit and figure out what to do. It will be messy if we stay local. We have had so much rain the past few days. If we drive a bit further afield, the trails will drain better. Decisions.

That sounds pretty messy, RnR. The east coast weather has been amazing.

I did 3.25 miles yesterday in 78-80 degrees with close to 100% humidity, so I do feel your pain. It was miserable. Last year this time, even down here in Mexico, it was a bit cooler. We are also above normal. It was a hard effort yesterday, and I was slow -- now I know why: woke up with a sore throat in the middle of the night, so it appears I have a cold coming on. SIGH. Merry Christmas to me. NOT! Knowing my usual pattern of colds that finish up with a lingering bad cough, I probably won't be running for awhile or doing much of anything. Double SIGH.

/pityparty
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hope you feel better, Emily.
    This warm, humid weather is playing with my allergies, so I get it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Hope you feel better, Emily.
    This warm, humid weather is playing with my allergies, so I get it.
    Me too. allergies have been terrible lately because of the weather. We have decided to travel to run tomorrow to get better conditions. I will report back.

Registered for my big spring trail race today. We know we are racing, time to bite the registration bullet and sign up.

Em, I hope you feel better

We drove about 45 mins north yesterday to trail run. There were some muddy patches on the trails but nothing like we would have had if we stayed local. We did about 8.5 miles. I felt pretty good. My one hamstring was tight by the end of it, but that happens sometimes from running uphill. I will try and be nice to it today. I have acupuncture tomorrow so I will have them needle it up for me, that will help loosen it up some too.

Yowie! Heal soon! I've a balance pad in my home KB gym that I use for both balance work and cushioning my knee if I MUST kneel briefly. Also good for supporting my neck for certain floor core and flexibility exercises. It's well worth the cost of a good one, got mine from Perform Better on sale.

If you don't follow the Daily Bandha (which doesn't post anything close to daily) - it's a really amazingly detailed site explaining fascial connections and alignment cues in yoga and beyond. Here's one of their posts on the gluteus medius, with links to more.

http://www.dailybandha.com/2014/06/t...e-in-yoga.html

Funny thing though - I actually went to the site looking for side plank (full expression), which is where I feel the GM more than any other pose, and they don't even mention it. Which probably means I feel it there because it's weak on me too, and my hips are probably tilting in the standing poses more than I realize, sigh, it stinks not having a good yoga teacher any more. Definitely saw some hip tilt in the photos from that last race, been working a lot of one-legged bridge too. Probably should add some hip hikes. Which brings back annoying memories of trying to teach hip hikes in the gym and having half of the participants for whatever reason completely ignore my instruction and doing side-facing step-ups instead. Which would've been semi-okay if they'd kept their hips level, but nooooooo. Sigh.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-05-2016 at 03:57 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Holy Smokes...The new PT ( Mark), takes no prisoners. He says that I will have THE most stable pelvis at my race on May 1st. I wonder if they give an award for that, like Miss Congeniality? He is not screwing around.

Oh and a female PT KT taped my glute...like that was not awkward.

That made me laugh!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've always wondered how they tape guys, for the men in my family that would be like trying to stick tape to carpet.

Electra Townie 7D

Feel better Oakleaf!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Feel better Oakleaf!
    ^^^ Ditto!

Got out for a nice little 3 miler today, slowly getting the pace back (10:02 min/mile today) after too many layoffs due to injuries, sickness, weather, travel, and other priorities. We had a gorgeous day for it, breezy, sunny, and not too warm (70-72F) as the humidity was blessedly low for Florida. I'll take it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

14 miles is EASY!?!?! LOL, guess you can tell I'm not a runner ;-)

14 miles at easy pace is WAY easy when the prescribed workout was for seven of them to be three 2-mile threshold pace repeats, plus one more single mile at threshold pace.

Distance doesn't make someone a runner or not a runner, either. I wonder if Usain Bolt has ever run 14 miles at a time, in his life.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler