Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ow, heal up quick. Glad you've been able to get into PT right away though.

I used to love the balance mat when I was a gym rat. Haven't been on one since ... not a bad idea, even, as you say, for a yoga chick. We've been doing a fair amount of eyes-closed balance work in yoga, working on the proprioceptors, but the raw work of an unstable surface is something else again!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yowie! Heal soon! I've a balance pad in my home KB gym that I use for both balance work and cushioning my knee if I MUST kneel briefly. Also good for supporting my neck for certain floor core and flexibility exercises. It's well worth the cost of a good one, got mine from Perform Better on sale.

If you don't follow the Daily Bandha (which doesn't post anything close to daily) - it's a really amazingly detailed site explaining fascial connections and alignment cues in yoga and beyond. Here's one of their posts on the gluteus medius, with links to more.

http://www.dailybandha.com/2014/06/t...e-in-yoga.html

Funny thing though - I actually went to the site looking for side plank (full expression), which is where I feel the GM more than any other pose, and they don't even mention it. Which probably means I feel it there because it's weak on me too, and my hips are probably tilting in the standing poses more than I realize, sigh, it stinks not having a good yoga teacher any more. Definitely saw some hip tilt in the photos from that last race, been working a lot of one-legged bridge too. Probably should add some hip hikes. Which brings back annoying memories of trying to teach hip hikes in the gym and having half of the participants for whatever reason completely ignore my instruction and doing side-facing step-ups instead. Which would've been semi-okay if they'd kept their hips level, but nooooooo. Sigh.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-05-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Holy Smokes...The new PT ( Mark), takes no prisoners. He says that I will have THE most stable pelvis at my race on May 1st. I wonder if they give an award for that, like Miss Congeniality? He is not screwing around.

Oh and a female PT KT taped my glute...like that was not awkward.

That made me laugh!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've always wondered how they tape guys, for the men in my family that would be like trying to stick tape to carpet.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I've always wondered how they tape guys, for the men in my family that would be like trying to stick tape to carpet.
    We are big on KT tape in our house. I a actually pretty good at it for a nonprofessional. Not quite good enough to tape my own backside...

Now men. I tape my hubs all the time. Mostly shoulder, rotator cuff. If I were going to tape a leg, he would have to shave it. Otherwise, here comes his first "wax" !!!!
    Last edited by rocknrollgirl; 02-06-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Ha. Funny how the thought of having a female PT tape my bare azz, does seem so much more awkward than my male MTs digging around in my obturators and iliacus through a sheet, or the chiropractor doing it through tights.

I like StrengthTape for my feet, ankles and legs, SpiderTech Gentle for the delicate skin on the anterior shoulders, KinesioTex Gold for the posterior shoulders. Got a whole stable in my medicine cabinet.

Taping hairy parts ... unlike white athletic tape (which men definitely shave before applying), I don't think the adhesive on kinesiology tape is strong enough to pull hair off? I make sure my legs are freshly shaved before I tape, just for better adhesion, and I think I'd do the same taping a hairy man's shoulders. But seven to nine days (which is how long StrengthTape typically lasts) is plenty of time for hair to grow up underneath the tape on my legs, and it doesn't yank it off.

RnR, hooray for aggressive, goal-oriented rehab plans and the most stable pelvis in your race!!

Good luck with all that, RnR. I can't even imagine how a glute would be taped. I don't know much about taping, obviously! Not sure I want to know. ;-)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

RnR, hooray for aggressive, goal-oriented rehab plans and the most stable pelvis in your race!!

Oak I am glad to hear you say that. I was worried that he was pushing me pretty hard, but they all keep commenting that I am pretty strong and need to be pushed a bit. He is doing stuff I recognize from when I had PT years ago for and IT band issue like monsters and clam shell, but I have been cheating when I was doing those exercises at home and his form corrections are kicking my butt, literally. My glutes are sore today. The only thing that is really new, new is that stability pad.

So I did get to run today. They told me I could if I halved my distance, no hills and no sprints. So our rail trail is pretty clear of snow and I went and did a very easy 5 milers this morning. Aside from my glutes being sore I felt pretty good. The PT said I should do the clam shells and monsters at home, but I am so sore today. Maybe I will do them later and just cut my sets down.

I started to get a little freaked out about lost trail time until my husband reminded me that if you are an East Coaster...everyone's trails are snowed in. That did make me feel better. If we lived someplace that we could cross country ski, or ski mo I would just switch to that, but our trails just get crappy. Deep frozen foot prints. Very tough to run on. Not too many people with snow shoes around here to pack the trails dowm

Glad you've been able to run a little. Sounds like miserable conditions out there, and more coming in tomorrow.

Got any tips for doing the clamshells? I've always wondered about the hip and knee angles, but my PT never corrected me. I know how much difference that kind of stuff makes - like how the figure 4 stretch is so much deeper when the contralateral knee is at 90° -

So I dragged myself out of bed and ran that half this morning. Ironic thing, half the reason I signed up is because DH and his cousin had made a noon lunch date, so I knew whatever I did I'd have to get it done early-ish, but cousin had to cancel after I'd already signed up for the race. Anyway, conditions were pretty good, 45° and overcast, very little rain, there was wind but it was mostly a crosswind, the only negative about the weather was the unavoidable puddles, so my feet got wet right away. Another 2d place in AG, which I really was not expecting, the fast gals had come out for this race in the past, but not so many of them today.

I still cannot understand drinking beer at 9 a.m. when you're going into hypothermia ... but there were plenty of people taking the free beer on offer after the finish ...

Good job, Oak. Yeah, beer at 45 degrees and rainy, after running 13 miles does not seem like a recipe for recovery. A few years ago when I was running in the early spring, it seemed I only ran on days I wouldn't ride, as in 45 degrees and rainy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Way to go, Oak!!

Beer makes you not care that it's 45 and crappy.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Glad you've been able to run a little. Sounds like miserable conditions out there, and more coming in tomorrow.

Got any tips for doing the clamshells? I've always wondered about the hip and knee angles, but my PT never corrected me. I know how much difference that kind of stuff makes - like how the figure 4 stretch is so much deeper when the contralateral knee is at 90° -

I still cannot understand drinking beer at 9 a.m. when you're going into hypothermia ... but there were plenty of people taking the free beer on offer after the finish ...
    I do not get the beer at 9am thing either. Actually not even after a race. Blech.

So clamshells. I always did them propped up on my elbow with my knees folded 90 degrees to my hips and my feet 90 degrees to my knees. He has me do them lying all the way down on my side. Head on my outstretched arm and leaning in. Not holding on to anything. Knees at more like a 120 degree angle, feet more forward and heels flexed hard. Made a big difference.

Same with the monster walks. Slight change in form and ouchy.

Thanks. I'll try them.