Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Flickr Photos, One Way Upload, etc.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't used Flickr much, really at all. But I need to free space on my Mac, so I started uploading all the photos from iPhoto a couple of days ago. (There were a lot).

Problem, according to Flickr 'help,' you are supposed to upload "one way," meaning you can delete the photos on your computer, and they stay on Flickr. Not working. If I delete a pic on my mac, either from Library or Sharing, it gives a warning that it will also delete from Flickr, which definitely happens.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I have everything backed up on an external drive, too. But they do me little good there, as I want to view photos often.

Ideas? I have so many copies of everything, between Dropbox, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, iPhoto, but I need space and I'm going to end up losing what I want to keep if I get aggressive and clean everything, but that definitely needs to be done.

Help!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

how are you uploading the photos to flickr? auto syncing with iPhoto etc. does what you say is happening. there should be a way to turn off autosync. maybe flickr help can tell you more about that. i use the flickr uploader with the icon on the main photostream page to upload the photos i want on flickr from an external hard drive and don't have your problem. I use lightroom and import the original raw dng files directly to a month/year dng folder on an external hd (instead of my mac's hd) process the files and save the post processed jpg files to a jpg folder with the same month/year name on the same external hd and upload to flickr from the jpg folder. i don't use iPhoto but i'll do an import into iPhoto and see if it can be done directly to an external hd if you want

to upload directly from an external hd i use the uploader on the main photostream page, click on 'choose photos videos', choose my external hd and choose the photos i want to upload. i'm usually only uploading the photos i want to from that days photos.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 12-20-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I uploaded directly from iPhoto to flickr. Maybe I should have started at Flickr. I'll experiment.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

on the main photostream page, upper right corner, to the right of the search box there is a white icon. click on that and then choose where you want to import the files from....for iPhoto, on the left scroll down to media/photos and then iphoto
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Okay, looks like I inadvertently did it both ways--shared from iPhoto and uploaded from Flickr. Wow. Lots of repeated images. But I should be able to trim the iPhoto library to what I want on the machine.

What a mess, though. So many copies of everything it's hard to enjoy the pictures.

Thank you.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I just uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr for the first time. I used the upload button on the Flickr page and did the drag and drop from Windows Explorer on my pc to the upload page. My goal is to keep the photos stored on my pc hard drive (I will back them up to an external drive, too), and use Flickr as a tool to share them with friends and family.

I set all the photos to private -- to be viewed by friends and family only. However this seems to be preventing me from sharing them. I see info on creating "guest passes" to an album in order to share private photos, but when I follow the instructions they don't work. I click on the share icon and it just says I can't share because the photos are private -- I don't see any way to create the guest passes.

I'd rather not set my photos to public. They're photos of other people and I would prefer not to allow the whole world to see them. They're innocuous, just vacation photos. I'm trying to use Flickr to share them because most of the people in them are not on Facebook. They're not on Flickr, either.

It seems that I am weird in what I want to do with photos. I don't want the whole world to see them, I don't want them stored on someone else's cloud server that I don't control, I just want to be able to share them with a few people who don't live anywhere near me and who I only see in person a couple of times a year.

Is there a solution for me with Flickr? Or will they force me to make everything public? If so I think I will just go to Micro-Center and buy some cheap thumb drives, load them with photos and mail them out. But that is not ideal since it costs time and money.

Thanks!

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Try clicking the share icon, (then bbcode), then the size you want (I do 640 or 800 (the one below) for this site) then copy the link and just paste that it into your post. I also delete everything after the second [/url] so no info about flickr shows under the photo. That should allow the posting of photos here and elsewhere without people having access to your other photos.

click on this photo....it's from a private site i use for friends and shouldn't link to the other photos

if that doesn't work sharon is posting some photos today in the 2016 photo thread from her private site....ask her

to share an album go the album, click ‘edit in organizer’, click ‘more options’ next to ‘search’, to the left you’ll see a box with ‘no privacy/safesearch filter’ click that and choose who you want to share the album with, copy the url and send it to them. They might have to have a flickr account....if so just create one for them and send the user name and password to them and then add the user name to your following list. Click on 'You' upper left, go to people, go to list, to the right of the name there is edit next to following..click on edit then friend or family or both
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 07-02-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Rebecca. The problem I'm having is that I follow the instructions to create a guest pass but they do not work. When I click the share icon (arrow), it says

"Oops!
    Sorry! You can't share restricted photos."

I'm going to create a second account, give it access to the albums I want to share and then give the login info for the second account to my family. I'm just trying to think of a password that everyone will be able to remember.

There are many things about flickr that I don't understand. I guess most people use it to publish photos to the entire world? Or like facebook for photographers? I don't know.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm going to create a second account, give it access to the albums I want to share and then give the login info for the second account to my family. I'm just trying to think of a password that everyone will be able to remember.

There are many things about flickr that I don't understand. I guess most people use it to publish photos to the entire world? Or like facebook for photographers? I don't know.
    Yeah sharing albums is the easiest way. Create two additional accounts and you can share albums with two different groups one listed as friends and the other as family if you want.
    We just have different reasons for using flickr. For me it’s more about a community of my friends both in the U.S and the E.U. and our sharing what we are doing in photography. I learn from the work of others both with seeing their work on flickr and in conversations with them. I’ve also met a number of interesting local photographers through flickr.

Btw and to save me doing another post in the mindfulness thread ..(which I use to focus and refine my attention in photography too)
    (here) is an online source that might help you in starting.

NY Biker, not sure why Flickr is behaving that way when you try to share private photos. When I try to share a private album, I get the following message, which suggests I am able to share the photos without making them public, but they will be viewable by the folks I send the link to:

Test by DutchRosie, on Flickr

I get a similar message when trying to share a single private photo.

Scratching my head here!

OK, doing some more research. "Restricted photos" are not the same thing as "private photos". Flickr uses the "restricted" category to mean photos that have content that shouldn't be seen by kids (such as full frontal nudity"). Here is more information about how to change that: About Flickr safety levels.

I seem to remember that Flickr may tag all photos by new users as restricted until they have a chance to review your account? I did a quick search and found this thread from someone who had the same problem - didn't have time to read it all the way through but maybe you can find some answers: Oops! Sorry! You can't share restricted photos when trying to share a new album/.

NY…+1 on what BD wrote….also click your icon photo upper right, then settings, then privacy & permissions, scroll down to defaults for new uploads and if under safety level it says restricted change it to safe if you don’t want your photos restricted, they are still private.

BD…i think some browsers have caused problems too. Doing one photo with the bbcode is a quick way of seeing if it’s a browser problem. It also could be that her site hadn’t being reviewed for content yet but that should have been done reasonably quick. Even being restricted setting the album itself for friends/family and the follower too should work though.

Btw I’m missing seeing new photos by you ....hoping all is well !!!!!

Rebecca - yes, you're right, Flickr is certainly known for hiccups, anything from incorrectly flagging photos as restricted to weird browser issues and delays in reviewing new users for content. And not everything is intuitive - new users may label their photos as restricted when they merely mean to make them private. But the issue that ny biker experienced sounds like a recurrence of a known Flickr issue from about 15 mos ago, especially given that her photos are innocuous. So, NY - it's likely not you, but them! I hope it can be resolved without going through all the hoops of creating a 2nd account. Sorry you are getting such a bumpy introduction to Flickr. Hope you'll give the site another chance... despite its hiccups, it's generally been a great site for me and I like having the ability to share photos with non-Facebook users.

I hope to catch up on my photos in the next couple of weeks! I should have a lot more time now - but playing catch-up is always a bit of a challenge.