Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks Crankin and NY! Playa just got to be way too noisy for us. Way too much of a concrete jungle. We're in a campground now, and our site is right by a pond with wonderful bird life, gorgeous trees dripping with Spanish moss, and plenty of peace and quiet. And much, much better cycling. Life is good again!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've always said that lifestyle is one of the most important things when determining where you will live; anytime, not just in retirement. Happy riding!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    sigh, I haven't cycled since Jan.4 in Vancouver. Since back where I live there has been snow off and on. Some clear days..

These are 3 local women who cycled in packed snow for 25 km. to scout out opportunities to improve bike commuting routes in our city.
    What I liked were 3 women that made effort to grind their through the snow: http://bikecalgary.org/winter-bike-c...r-commute-ride

I believe at least 1 of them, has studded bike tires.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Well I thought I'd be off the bike this coming weekend because I had plans to meet up with relatives who were traveling to this area for an annual weekend getaway, but now that's been canceled due to the oncoming snow. So I will be off the bike this weekend because of snow. (No studded tires here, and no fat bike either.) I guess I will get my exercise with a snow shovel.

(My warmest boots are all suede, so I don't wear them to tramp around in piles of snow. But for the life of me I can't remember which boots I do usually wear when I'm out shoveling. I recently bought "snow sneakers" from LL Bean, which are insulated and supposedly waterproof, but they're not high enough for the accumulation we might be getting.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Absolutely lovely ride on the West Orange Trail (Fla.) yesterday. This time we pedaled from Winter Garden east and north towards Apopka, where we turned around at the station there. The trail continues 3 miles farther north, and once I have built up to it, we'll go to the end. This ride to and from the campground ended up at 31 miles, the longest I've done in a long time. Flat to gently rolling, my quads were burning by the end as there was a headwind on the way back. The trail was almost empty mid-day on a weekday...perfect! Temp was in the upper 60s with mostly overcast skies. The warmest day in awhile.

A few photos:
    Attachment 17941 Attachment 17942

Attachment 17943 Attachment 17940
    Emily

That looks nice!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Finally got in some indoor trainer time late this afternoon. I had planned to do it on Wednesday after work but ended up not getting home until 10 pm due to VDOT's failure to pre-treat the roads prior to the snow that hit during rush hour. Thursday I went to the gym (for weight training) because it was my last chance to get outside until after Snowzilla leaves. Would have done some indoor spinning last night but I accepted an unexpected invitation to a friend's house (a short walk from mine) for dinner. So, today's riding was my first in about a week.

I did the same as my last indoor workout, watched an episode of Sonic Highways on DVD while shifting up and down. I rode a harder gear for 5 minutes, then an easy gear for a couple, shifted up one or two for a couple more, than 5 more at a harder gear, etc. So never super hard but my "average speed" according to the Garmin was 14 mph which is a decent effort overall. I rode for 1 hour 4 minutes, the entire episode with some rewinding here and there. (Thanks to Dave and the boys for making something that holds my attention so well! It was the last episode, filmed in NYC, and I'm sorry there aren't any more. At least there's a boatload of extra footage that I can still watch.)

I expect it will be a while before I ride outside again. The long-range forecast shows temps in the high 40s next weekend but even if that holds, we'll still be digging out from this storm. Oh well, we'll just have to take it one day at a time.

Gone but not forgotten:

What a horrible, horrible ride/day we had on Saturday! We'd both signed up to do the Stinky Spoke rotten weather mtb ride, but I decided just to bring my recumbent and get in a long flat trail ride since I've lost so much ground, cycling wise, and I felt like I should get SOME kind of riding in. I set out in steady rain with hopes that it would ease up at some point. Dh set out on the event course on his shiny new Cannondale cyclocross bike. The rain never did ease up, and I arrived back at the van after a 26 mile ride and found that my phone had gotten wet and was dead. I was frozen and soaked and fired up the van to warm up while I waited for Dh to finish. I was surprised that he hadn't already finished, actually. I put the phone over the defrost vents, hoping it would dry out enough and dreamed of the bratwurst and beer that I would be having shortly after he arrived. I was starving! The phone did eventually come to life and a call from DH immediately came in. He had been trying to call me for a good half hour and was frantic. He'd clipped a tree in a sharp turn, snapping his collar bone and was pushing his bike somewhere along the course. He managed to tell me that he was at the watershed park at Novelty hill road before the phone went dead again. I had no idea how to get there, so I went back to the event start point, trying to find someone to give me directions (or perhaps dispatch a support vehicle?). Everybody was pretty blase about it, and most of the people I talked to mentioned that they too had broken a collar bone at some point. Finally, a guy drew me a map on a scrap of cardboard with a sharpie before pulling down the neck of his shirt to show me a neckline distorted by multiple breaks of the bone. Got to the park 20-30 minutes later, and there wasn't a soul in sight. Phone was still dead, and panic was truly setting in. How in the heck did we manage to do these things before everyone started carrying cell phones! I got out of the car and followed the signs out to the stinky spoke course on the off chance that he was trying to walk the 6 miles or so to the finish. I have never felt so helpless and lost in my life! Eventually, I encountered the event sweeps, who hadn't seen him, and a flurry of fruitless phone calling ensued. Brian wasn't answering his phone, and the list of numbers for the event director weren't getting anywhere. The sweeps decided they would just continue on and look for him on the way, and that I should go back to the start and wait for them. If they had to, they would call 911. Finally! Progress!
    Long story short: Strangers had seen Brian pushing his bike down insanely busy Novelty Hill road and had taken him to the hospital. After an another hour of running around like a chicken with her head cut off, I was able to find this unfamiliar hospital and take him home. He was still wearing his muddy cycling clothes and had left a large halo of mud around his body on the bed. The nurses were fussing over him and petting him and marveling that his self diagnosis had been correct. I was wet, matted, stinky and starved and I burst into tears from frustration and relief. What a horrible day.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

That does sound horrible and poor planning by the event organizers. My DH broke his collar bone in 2014. It was a bad break, he had surgery, did PT, and is perfect now. He has a lot of hardware inside.
    He was back to easy riding after 5 weeks, although the doctor said 12...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Damn, Laura, that is terrible! I can only imagine your panic. Was your DH not able to call you from the hospital? He may have been in shock, especially with that terrible weather, in which case, he may not have been thinking too clearly.

My DH broke his collarbone on a solo ride many years ago when he hit a bad spot of pavement, and I remember the panic of racing to pick him up and taking him to the ER. It was a bit of a fiasco as I had been working late in the lab and didn't have my cell phone with me, so he'd been leaving messages for quite awhile before I even found out what had happened, and of course he had to wait, in pain, on the road until I finally got the message and drove over to pick him up. I felt so bad!

I am so sorry you had to go through this and hope he will heal up quickly. I learned how to mow grass for the first time in my life as my DH healed from his, since it happened in the summer.
    Emily

Hmmm, he's thinking he'd be able to ride (my trike!) in a couple of weeks. He did say that the break was well aligned and surgery wouldn't be required. I'm glad to hear that your Dh is back to perfect now, Crankin.
    I'm sure he must have been in shock, Emily, but my phone was cutting in and out, so the calls weren't getting through to me. I felt terrible too. I listened to the messages he left this morning and he kept saying, I don't understand why you're not answering me. That must have been a terrible feeling. The image of him trudging down the hill in pouring rain, pushing that bike haunts me. Thank goodness for kind strangers (who happen to be sag drivers for other events).

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Oh man, how awful. I'm glad you were finally able to track your DH down and that his injury wasn't worse, though. Hugs to both of you and quick healing to him.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

OMG that sounds truly awful. Glad you found him! Hope there is a quick recovery.

As for my riding this week... after two great rides Sunday and Monday last week and then having my road bike stolen I didn't get any real miles in except for test rides until this morning. I rode the Surly 15 miles just up to Saguaro NP and back.

Happily- my new bike has been found and will be set up by Thursday!!!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Good grief Laura, what a terrible experience. I'm glad your husband's injury wasn't worse.

Glad things are looking up for you, az.

Gone but not forgotten:

Ah, how great that you have a trike. That would be the only bike your DH would be able to ride earlier than usual from this injury, I'd think, since he can't risk another fall until totally healed, and besides, putting any weight on the arm on that side is gonna be difficult for some time.

I should add that my DH is fine now too. His break was in a place that surgery was not recommended nor required, though he does have a bump on that shoulder now (it was way down on the shoulder end), and it bothered him for throwing (he played baseball back then) for quite some time. But he was super good about doing his PT and gradually brought it back to full functioning and range of motion.
    Emily