Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Winter Riding Thread (December-February) Outside and Inside

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I am tired of posting in the November thread.
    I had my office holiday party today, at lunch time. Since I don't work on Wednesday, I had planned to ride there, but it would have involved bringing my food contribution yesterday. So, I decided to go to spin, which is not far from my office.
    I managed to get in the zone wile I was warming up, and ignored the others. The class was good, but when I decided to leave at 10:20 (10 minutes early), so I didn't have to rush getting cleaned up, the instructor said, "Make sure you tell me you are OK, if you leave early." I looked right at her and said, "I am going to work..." Not sure if she heard. This felt a bit demeaning, as I did not look like I was going to faint, in fact, I was wiping down my bike. I am mostly used to going to spin at 5:45 AM, where people come and go all the time. I may email her, as it irked me.
    It ended up being a really nice day, about 46 out, but I am still glad I didn't take the 45 minutes to get ready for a 5 mile ride! After the party, I did a couple of errands and then came home and took a quick walk around the hill, just a mile, but it felt good.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I rode last Wednesday night after work. The weather was decent, high 40s. I tried out my new Gore Contessa jacket. It does a good job blocking the wind, but the sleeves were shorter than I'd like. Luckily my gloves come up far enough to cover my wrists. I also tried out chemical foot warmers for the first time. I followed Crankin's advice and wore thinner socks (DeFeet Wooleators rather than Woolie Boolies) and made sure the shoe straps were loose enough. I put the toe warmers under the front part of the foot -- my problem is that the metal cleat makes my feet cold -- and they did keep my feet warm, but it's not really comfortable to have the extra layer there. I think I rode about 17 miles in all. I've been very slow lately on these rides. I think I just am less motivated to push myself in the winter. I feel so constricted by the tights and the booties and the extra layers under my jacket.

Yesterday (Sunday) I led a 32 mile ride for the bike club. It was a nice winter day, lots of sunshine with temps in the mid-40s and hardly any wind. There were five people in the group and we all rode together most of the time. It was my 15th time leading a ride this year, the same number as last year despite all the sick time in the spring and summer. So that's a good thing. I used the toe warmers again; my feet stayed warm but I started to get that numbness in my toes that you get when your insole isn't supporting your foot right. It wasn't too bad though and was better than being cold. I know I could try putting the toe warmers on top of my feet, or even on top of the shoe between it and the booty, but I don't think that will solve the problem of the cold coming from the cleats.

I might have one more chance to ride this year -- I'll be busy with holiday/family stuff for the next week or so, but if the weather cooperates I will be able to ride on the 30th or 31st after work. I haven't uploaded anything to Garmin Connect in months. I suppose a good project for New Year's Day will be to plug my Garmin into my pc and hit the upload button -- and then go off and do something else, since it undoubtedly will take a while to transfer all my rides. But I am curious to see how many miles I rode this year.

Looking ahead, I usually take my bike to the LBS in January for an annual clean-and-tune. They offer deals and coupons in January because their business is always slow then. But I think this year I will wait and have it cleaned at the end of February or early March, when I hope we will no longer have to worry about snow and ice and salt on the roads.
    Last edited by ny biker; 12-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Went for a short, slow holiday light viewing ride tonight. Full moon out and 70+ degree temperatures made for a nice, if unseasonable, ride. So nice to (mostly) have the roads all to myself.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Rode 21 miles yesterday, with roads damp, but pleasant 50 degrees, with wind.
    Today, DH and I rode 11 miles, rather quickly, when I got home from work at 2:15. It was 70 degrees, but windy, and the roads were very wet. I was covered in mud splatter when I got home. But, I'll take it, since it's December. Tomorrow, we will do a longer ride, while the rest of the world is celebrating Christmas. It will still be warm, high of 60, so nice. But, we have a "wintry mix" forecasted for next Tuesday, so it's coming to an end.
    I passed 2,800 miles for the year today.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We did a 33 mile ride, from home, using a well known route from one of the clubs we ride with. It's called the 7 bridges ride, because it crosses the Sudbury River 7 times. We left the route before the end, as obviously, we were riding home. We started the club route with a climb up Nashawtuc Hill, which is the other bigger hill in town, and then made our way into Sudbury, Wayland, and Lincoln. No roads I haven't been on, but a few that I don't ride that often. It was between 57 and 67 degrees on the ride, which I think, is close to a record for Xmas. I've had other warmish Xmas rides, but it was sunny, too, an added bonus. At one of the flatter parts on Goodman's Hill in Sudbury, I had to stop and eat and take my arm warmers off. Much better after that!
    Lots and lots of riders out today, and as we neared the end, lots of families walking. There was even a traffic jam as people were entering/leaving Walden Pond State Park. Just like summer.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

What a December. So warm and we broke a heat record yesterday. Thought I'd be able to ride outside but winds were pushing near 100km at peaks. So nope... no outdoor cycling.

Today I had a training session planned inside. Decided that although it is only 8c (yesterday we hit 19c) the winds were more decent. So we got the Crux out and did a 32km ride. Quite a few "hills" to climb and heart was pumping on the way but better on return as winds were sideways. We met a few cyclists and lots of pedestrians. Funny that cyclists met, none were younger ones. More like people over 50. hihi

It was so much fun. We stopped at McDonald to get a coffee and muffin. Our toes were frozen but the reste of body was great. We can't complain as normally the weather here is near -10c, if not colder. And we have a nice snowstorm hitting on Tuesday too. Probably a foot of snow, if not more. We "saved" at least 2 months of winter here. It was fun getting the Crux out in December.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Today we went on a 35 km. ride here in Vancouver. ABout 4 degrees C and very pleasant with less car traffic. This is the longest distance I've done since early November.

For me at least it was longer than yesterday which was only 10 km. and included drop by at a major hotel with gingerbread tableaux that were part of Christmas competition. Some wonderful creations by the schools and professional bakeries.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

rode to compton in south central l a to do some photography today. reasonable temps in the high 60’s to low 70’s, little wind and with sunshine all day. I’ve found riding through an area on my bike allows me to see more images to capture, makes it easier to have conversations to learn more about the people living there, learn more personal views of the area’s history, to ask where certain subjects like street art, old industrial etc. are and just using a more friendly way of being in the area. I had a number of good conversations today. 74 miles total.

off in a while to one of my favorite restaurants to celebrate the new year with friends and the people who work there…..a new year full of positive moments for all here!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've just been doing short rides in Vancouver...6-20 km. 3-5 degrees C with sun shining to melt some ice and frost. The local mountains are dusted with snow..enough for the skiers and snowboarders. Unfortunately we have our heavy winter clothing and boots in another province.(even if we could rent snowshoes). But hope to do some snowshoeing in the mountains in a few weeks.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We've had some cold days for Tucson with highs in the 40's but mostly just cold mornings. Yesterday we rode 50 miles, mostly in short sleeved jerseys, starting around noon - my son joined us for 44 miles - we added 6 miles riding to and from his house. We stayed on the bike path and saw a lot of folks doing the same. Today I'm finally heading out.... 3 pm!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

So, I rode less than 1900 miles last year. I guess that's okay given the fact that I had three colds that kept me off the bike and were followed by relatively short rides as I tried to get back to a decent level of fitness. And then there were the two metrics that were rained out in September and October -- I would have managed 2000 miles if the weather had been dry on those days. Oh well, moving on.

I had thought I might get in one last post-work hill ride for 2015 after returning from my Christmas trip to NY, but that did not happen as the weather was not great and I was tired from driving back late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. Then I considered doing a Jan 1 ride around the Mall in DC with friends, but decided I would be better off sleeping late and unpacking from my trip. So my first ride of the new year was yesterday, a 33-miler that I led for the bike club. I was worried that it would be cold, but we lucked out with lots of sunshine and not much wind. It even ended up a few degrees warmer than expected, in the high 40s. We rode through the area that John Wilkes Booth escaped to after shooting President Lincoln, then stopped at a church that was founded in 1641 for our break. The church is on a hill overlooking a river, very scenic. Usually we approach it by riding up the hill, which is steep. But we came from the other direction and went down the hill, which allowed us to get a good look at the view.

Genuine winter weather is finally on its way and will keep us cold this week, but as of now it looks like it will only last for a few days. So I'm planning to dust off the indoor trainer instead of doing the weekly hill ride in a few days. But I'm hoping I'll be able to ride outside again next weekend.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My last outdoor ride of the year was on Xmas. I ended up with 2,850 miles, which is Ok.
    It hasn't been too freezing out (35-40), but there's been wind and I always look twice at how the snow is melting and refreezing on the sides of the road. I've seen some riders, out, but i am just scared enough of black ice, to not ride. If I had a mountain bike or fat bike, I'd feel safer.
    I went to spin class this morning and it was a good work out. I've been going on and off since December. Felt a little bad, since the temperature was 38 on the way home, but there are really big gusts of wind. I did a trail run yesterday, just to get outside.
    It is going to be frigid for the next 2 days, so it's a moot point.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Working this weekend so I took today off and rode home from working yesterday in Oxnard. Had a tail wind most of pacific coast highway which made up for it being in the high 50’s. Saw more cyclists than usual especially for a weekday. I was meeting someone for lunch in Malibu at my favorite Japanese restaurant so I also had a great lunch of tai sweet shiso with crispy shiitake and a warm bowl of miso and tofu while we sat on the restaurants balcony overlooking the ocean. I then met a woman I know and her friend who had just come down out of the sm mountains and we rode back to santa monica together. 58 good miles.

View while stopped on pch to drink some water and stretch
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Rebecca- what a lovely photo!

I did a bike-bus commute twice this week - once with my Straggler and once with my Brompton. Trying to work out getting comfortable in cold temperatures - particularly on the big downhill on my way home. My core gets too warm - but my feet and head (even with a skull cap) freeze. Hands freeze for half the ride and then overheat. Still trying out different combos. We have one morning this week that is supposed to be about 20.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I bought pogies!! And they are awesome. An hours commute at -10 C (14F) - toasty warm fingers. Same thing on the way home, in fact my hands were sweaty wearing just skinny little XC ski gloves. The best thing for winter biking since Lake shoes. And even sweaty hands weren't a problem because there's so much more warm/temperate air around them to gradually dry them off. Amazing.

Blueberry - at -14F I need both a windproof skull cap and a thin balaclava under my helmet, and I need to put tape over the big air ducts in front.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett