Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Free manicures...?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just had work done on my car. Whenever it has needed maintenance, I've always taken it to the same service manager at the dealership where I bought it. He's very good to work with and doesn't try to sell me work that isn't really necessary. So when I found out that he had taken a job at a different dealership in the area, I decided to take the car to him at the new dealership. Today was my first time there.

They offer free manicures in the waiting area on Wednesdays.

Have you ever seen this at a car dealership? I've only ever been to a few, but I've never seen it before.

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a quiet waiting room with accessible electrical outlets so I could plug in my laptop and get more work done. The old place had split up the waiting area so that you could choose between watching inane daytime TV or having a quiet place to read or work. This place just has a big room with the inane TV and chairs all around. It wasn't until I was getting ready to leave that I noticed one electrical outlet near one of the chairs. Several people had laptops out -- I'm pretty sure they would have appreciated a work area, too.

I rarely get manicures. I was there for a long time today, because my car needed several things done to it. If the manicurist had been there today I probably would have gotten one just to pass the time.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I always make the first morning appointment to help to lessen the wait time and sit where i want. My laptop is usually fully charged when i go, same as with airport waits. My dealer has a smaller lounge with chairs and small tables. I get a small corner table, a free tea/scone and either do work or edit photo’s. Headphones and music while working or editing if it gets noisy ftw I'll also put my commuter bike in the back of the car and ride off to work if it's going to be a long wait and then ride back after work.....or just go do some errands that need to be done

I'd like to be in a more peaceful place for a manicure....that and i like the manicurist i go to when on a pampering day
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 12-04-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I was not expecting to be there for so long -- almost 5 hours -- but there was more work needed than I anticipated and then a rusted clamp broke when they were replacing the coolant. My laptop was fully charged when I left home, but it's a distraction to worry about the battery when it's not plugged in and I'm connected to my work pc via vpn -- I can't see the battery charge level unless I minimize the remote connection window. So I was able to get some work done but couldn't really concentrate. Now that I know what to expect in terms of their setup, I will bring earplugs next time and sit near the one and only outlet.

I will probably get a survey from the dealership soon, and if so I will suggest that they carve out a quiet space with desks and electrical outlets.

The last time I went for a manicure it was the opposite of relaxing -- the manicurist was very impatient with me, rushed me to pick out a nail polish color and then seemed upset that I wanted to take my winter coat off before she started. I really should have stopped her right there and said, you obviously don't have time for me right now so never mind. I ended up removing the nail polish the next day because it reminded me of her behavior.

I suppose that kind of experience is why I follow people I like when they move to new jobs -- I've followed my hair stylist through four job changes. Today there were two of us who had switched from the old dealership in order to stay with the same service manager. The other person thought she needed new tires, but he told her the current ones were not worn out yet, so she could wait. And you could tell that he was really happy about the new job and also happy that we were there.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

lol… I guess someone told them women (and some guys, I guess) might like that… My fingernails are thin and brittle and I do many things that are hard on them. They are rarely more than a mm or two long, so I've never had a manicure in my life. I tend to read in waiting rooms, so I prefer a more quiet place too. Most places I've been to have a TV (hopefully on CC so you aren't forced to listen) and a smattering of magazines. Given that most of my reading is e-books these days I certainly wouldn't mind easy access to a plug, in case I need a charge.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I've been lucky, in that my present and last cars were bought at dealerships near DH's work. In fact, the present one is right across the street. Despite the fact that these are luxury car dealers, no manicures there! They do have quite good business type set ups, so if DH waits for the work to be done, he is working.
    I get manicures a lot, as I find they help keep my nails in good shape. Mostly, though, I do my own manicures, but lately, I've been going to one of the two shops near me. I do regularly get pedicures. If my toenails get more than a mm too long, bad things happen when I am riding, hiking, or especially snow shoeing/x country skiing. I see the pedicure thing as almost medical, as I look forward to the leg and foot massage. The colored polish is an added bonus. Pedicures can last 3-5 weeks on me, when it is professionally done.
    I probably would not get a manicure at the car dealer!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport