Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What shampoo do you use?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been looking for a new shampoo recently and so far have not found anything I like. For years I used Pantene shampoo and conditioner, the regular "classic" version, and it's been fine. But earlier this year they added a strong new fragrance that I do not like. In general I don't like products with strong smells, and given the problems I have with skin allergies any new unnecessary ingredient raises concern that I'll end up covered in a rash.

The problem with products from large packaged-goods companies (like Pantene) is that they're always changing. So I decided to try some products that I think are more likely to remain the same over time, products made for babies and people with sensitive skin. So far I've tried two baby shampoos (Johnson & Johnson and California Baby) and two shampoos that are supposed to be free of common irritants (Free & Clear and Whole Foods 360). The J&J baby shampoo didn't clean my hair enough, and the others leave it very stripped, causing many strands of hair to end up on my hands instead of attached to my head. I've also tried the Free & Clear conditioner, but it's only so-so, leaving my hair kind of flat.

On and off I've been using a store-brand dandruff shampoo which is less hair-stripping, but not something I want to use every day. And it also has a strong smell.

I know there are plenty of organic plant-based shampoos out there, but I'm reluctant to try them because organic plants can still cause allergies. And this whole experience has been quite a waste of money -- shampoo is not inexpensive and most brands are not available in small travel/trial sizes. I'm trying to use up the products that I bought and didn't like, but given the way they cause my hair to come out I can't use them every day without going bald and having a perpetually clogged bathtub drain.

I saw an old thread here about people going shampoo-free, but I don't think I could get away with that. My hair is straight, not thin but not too thick either. I keep it short, about chin length. It used to be very oily so I'm in the habit of washing it every day; as I've grown older that is less of a problem but I still can't go more than two days without washing it.

Do you ladies have any favorite shampoos that I should try?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I switched to baking soda and water "shampoo" with a vinegar and water rinse a few weeks ago and my hair feels amazing. And my scalp doesn't itch anymore.

Electra Townie 7D

I use Redken Color Extend. I have used all kinds of products, from the most expensive, Kevin Murphy stuff, to Bedhead. My hairdresser has told me not to spend a lot on shampoo for color treated hair, so I buy the Redken at CVS. I do use Bumble and Bumble Semi-Gloss, which is expensive, but keeps my awful hair in check. And, I only buy it 2-3X a year. That, along with drugstore based almond oil, and a product called Straight from Living Proof, Jennifer Anniston's company that makes great, but expensive products. That I spray in my dry hair, before I flat iron it. My hair is one big cowlick, and it is a bit longer now, so I have to spend more time on it.
    I shampoo less now, but I could never go without. Yuck. I sweat profusely when I ride, so....
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Right now I'm using some expensive Aveda stuff that's supposed to help with my thinning hair. Does it look better or is my hair thicker and my wallet thinner? I don't know.

Mostly at chez trek we use this; Alafia authentic black soap for everything including shampoo;

http://alaffia.com/brands/Alaffia-Authentic.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo (and conditioner)…the ingredient list looks pretty decent and the price is reasonable.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo (and conditioner)…the ingredient list looks pretty decent and the price is reasonable.
    +1.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I use Aveda Scalp Balance - it isn't cheap but it only takes a little and works with my sensitive scalp and psoriasis. I get the really big bottle that lasts me about 2 years - which is how I justify spending so much for shampoo. I am curious about the Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo though and will give it a shot.

another + for Trader Joes Tea tree

I generally just condition and use something (baking soda, salt, etc) as as scalp scrub every once in a while, but when I absolutely need a bit of a shampoo - mainly if I've been wearing a hat a lot, I use a dab of TJ's Tea Tree Tingle. It doesn't have sodium laureth so it is not super sudsy, but it does a good job.
    Last edited by Eden; 12-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Big Sexy Hair. I have baby-fine, straight hair. It makes my hair tons less flat.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

de-luxe Rosemary Mint from Drugstore.com. It has a nice scent, not overwhelming.

Thanks very much for your input.

I tried the TJ's Tea Tree shampoo. But it stripped all the oils out of my hair. Again I'm wiping many strands of hair off my hands with a washcloth. Is it just me? Is shampoo supposed to do this, and I'm just expecting the wrong thing?

The Ogx coconut water and coconut milk shampoos are available in trial sizes according to the Ulta website. Not sure why you would use one vs the other other. There's an Ulta near my office so I will look for them there.

Any suggestions on what to do with various shampoos and conditioners that you don't want anywhere near your hair? Other than throwing them out and kissing all that money goodbye?

(Sorry I'm very cranky today. I seriously gained about 10 lbs in water weight while I slept. I can barely fit into my "loose" jeans right now. I hate perimenopause.)

Gone but not forgotten:

Take the Trader Joes one back. They guarantee their products and if you don't like it, they will refund you. Otherwise, not sure. I don't have that issue unless my thyroid is dosed too low - so no help there.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    ... I'm wiping many strands of hair off my hands with a washcloth. Is it just me? Is shampoo supposed to do this, and I'm just expecting the wrong thing? ...
    (Sorry I'm very cranky today. I seriously gained about 10 lbs in water weight while I slept. I can barely fit into my "loose" jeans right now. I hate perimenopause.)
    These two points seem like maybe they go together.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Any suggestions on what to do with various shampoos and conditioners that you don't want anywhere near your hair? Other than throwing them out and kissing all that money goodbye?
    If you don't hate hate hate them you can use them for hand washing you laundry.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    These two points seem like maybe they go together.
    I did think of that, but I still have some of the old Pantene shampoo in a travel bottle and when I use it, only a few strands of hair come out. With the others I've been trying, there's significantly more.

I picked up some of the Ogx coconut milk shampoo today. I tried to get the trial size that was on the Ulta website, but they didn't have it in the store. So instead I went all in and bought a 50% more free bottle at the grocery store. I hope I like it. Though part of me feels like at this point I'm trading one super-fragrant shampoo for another one that costs even more, which is not what I started out for. But hopefully Ogx does not reformulate as often as Pantene does -- mostly I want something that works well, does not make me break out in a rash, and stays consistent over time so I can just buy it, use it and not think twice about it.

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Wish I knew which chemicals act as skin irritants for me. That would help.
    Talk to a dermatologist about doing a patch test. I'm on a wait list to see if I can learn which sunscreen ingredient causes me issues. I usually cover with long sleeves, etc - but that doesn't help my face, and there's a limit to how much I can do in the summer in the south!