Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I did think of that, but I still have some of the old Pantene shampoo in a travel bottle and when I use it, only a few strands of hair come out. With the others I've been trying, there's significantly more.

I picked up some of the Ogx coconut milk shampoo today. I tried to get the trial size that was on the Ulta website, but they didn't have it in the store. So instead I went all in and bought a 50% more free bottle at the grocery store. I hope I like it. Though part of me feels like at this point I'm trading one super-fragrant shampoo for another one that costs even more, which is not what I started out for. But hopefully Ogx does not reformulate as often as Pantene does -- mostly I want something that works well, does not make me break out in a rash, and stays consistent over time so I can just buy it, use it and not think twice about it.

Thanks
    Just so you know, I use the Coconut Water Ogx, not the Coconut Milk. Let me know if that works, I've wondered. The Water formula seems decent in that it doesn't appear to make me break out, but my hair feels drier than I'd like. Still rather avoid painful skin, which it doesn't seem to aggrevate. I use the water vice the milk because I assume there will be less additives that would have a chance of causing problems, but I didn't really read the label. I did try Free and Clear a few months ago. Too strong for my skin, not conditioning enough for my hair.

And in related news, I just started a new body wash. Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Nourishing with seaweed and oatmeal. It didn't appear to make me react. Which is wonderful.

I'd pay more for shampoo if I could be sure I wouldn't have to throw it out because it hurt me! Maybe I should try Lush or Aveda or another higher end formulation. If anyone has super sensitive skin, can't use soap, and knows what to use, please let me know. This gets tiresome. I have found that The Body Shop Aloe line of skincare works for me. I should see if they make shampoo.

Edit: this one looks promising.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-...e-shampoo.aspx

Wish I knew which chemicals act as skin irritants for me. That would help.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-11-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Wish I knew which chemicals act as skin irritants for me. That would help.
    Talk to a dermatologist about doing a patch test. I'm on a wait list to see if I can learn which sunscreen ingredient causes me issues. I usually cover with long sleeves, etc - but that doesn't help my face, and there's a limit to how much I can do in the summer in the south!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Talk to a dermatologist about doing a patch test. I'm on a wait list to see if I can learn which sunscreen ingredient causes me issues. I usually cover with long sleeves, etc - but that doesn't help my face, and there's a limit to how much I can do in the summer in the south!
    I've had the same problem with sunscreen sensitivity.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I've had the same problem with sunscreen sensitivity.
    Same here, makes me feel like my face is on fire. I have tried probably 20 different ones, plus the 8-10 samples of hypoallergenic/non-reactive ones from my dermatologist. Weirdly, the only one I can tolerate on my face is a Coppertone Sensitive 30 and Hawaiian Tropic 30 on my body. Since I live at the beach now, finding what works became a priority.

Electra Townie 7D

Just another vote for going "no poo." Here is my routine:

Once a week I do a true wash of my hair. Week 1 I wash with diluted baking soda, with a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse (rinse 2x with the acv). Week 2 I wash with a mixture of bentonite clay, acv, honey & water (I like hedging my bets spreading these out just in case one is a little damaging, although both are supposed to be OK)

The rest of the week I do either a water only wash (scrub my scalp with warm water & rinse with cold water), or if I'm real sweaty wash with diluted lemon juice & condition with honey. If I don't get sweaty I can usually skip washing my hair at all, or just use a little corn starch as dry shampoo. When I travel I just wash with Dr Bronners so I don't have to deal with all this.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but really it means you'll be able to get away with washing your hair less -- a lot less. My hair NEVER looks oily, now that I'm no longer stripping it with shampoo, which encourages the overproduction of oil. Plus there are no fragrances for your allergies to react to. You might need a "transition" period, but I 100% think its worth it. Sometimes my hair looks a little dull and rather than oil, build up is what I have to fight, but I no longer get frizzy or oily hair and I've been really happy with the results. Overall its much less work, I think. Plus my hair dries much faster since its not being stripped.

Also: washing with an egg yolk occasionally makes your hair AMAZING, so thick and shiny, but I can never seem to keep the shower cold enough that I'm not picking cooked egg out of my hair afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Same here, makes me feel like my face is on fire. I have tried probably 20 different ones, plus the 8-10 samples of hypoallergenic/non-reactive ones from my dermatologist. Weirdly, the only one I can tolerate on my face is a Coppertone Sensitive 30 and Hawaiian Tropic 30 on my body. Since I live at the beach now, finding what works became a priority.
    Yes! A lot of things make my skin burn. Sunscreen included. I think both titanium dioxide and zinc can cause that. I've found that the way I apply the screen makes a difference, as well as the remaining ingredients. I use a stick screen on my face and apply it to the T zone and the apples of my face. Plus the backs of the ears and neck if I'm on my bike. The skin on the front of my neck is very susceptible to flare-up and burning from whatever I put on it, so I don't put much screen there. For arms and legs, I put screen on the tops of the forearms and a bit on my upper arms. Use longer shorts and put screen on the tops of the thighs and knees. A little on my lower legs and whatever parts of the ankles are directly exposed while on the bike. Also use Pearl Izumi leg coolers to reduce screen use. And I like the Craft arm coolers for the same reason. (Do not buy De Soto arm coolers unless you like silicon grips on your biceps and wrists. Yuck. Plus, the Craft and Pearl Izumi are buttery soft. But I do like the De Soto Cool wings). For the beach, I have a wide-brimmed breathable hat from Columbia, and I even use De Soto Cool wings on the beach to cut down on the chemicals on my skin.

I use short sleeved jerseys from Louis Garneau even in summer as that fabric tends to be very cool and mesh-like. Or use Cool Wings on top of a tank. Both options decrease the use of sunscreen.

I tried a few from the Environmental Working Groups recommendations, and made sure to select those rated a '1.' Prior to that, it so happened all my choices were from their Sunscreen Hall of Shame. (Whaaa haa haa).

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/

The best stick, which I've used for a few years now, is the Badger Broad Spectrum.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/...ed%2C_SPF_35_/

And Aubrey Organics for Sensitive Skin, SPF 30 lotion, which I've used even longer.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/...%2C_SPF_30%2B/

You will find that the screens that actually work according to EWG, go on a bit white or oily. The Aubrey is the least greasy and least white I've found in a lotion that was rated well (a 1 on a scale of 1-10). Same with the Badger Stick.

Badger does make some fine screen lotions, but they are very oily, and that is a huge problem when combined with extreme heat and humidity like we deal with. The Aubrey stick, rated well, is as hard as a crayon. It's okay if you take it to the beach and it's very hot out. That way, it will melt enough to actually use. But for normal use it's difficult. It does work, though. You just need a face that is already oily with sweat and sunscreen products.

I think the majority of Badger products are a 1, some are a 2. With most brands, I think Aubrey included, some products might be a 1 or a 2, but their other screens may be much lower rated by EWG, so you have to be careful.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 12-17-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Funny how we can all be so different, Badger tore my face up! And I actually blistered my chest with Coppertone Sport once. I just hate being a delicate little flower.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Funny how we can all be so different, Badger tore my face up! And I actually blistered my chest with Coppertone Sport once. I just hate being a delicate little flower.
    The Badger lotion did that to me, too. :P

Delicate flower, huh?

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    +1.
    ^ what she said. Trader Joes shampoos are nearly always great.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

I've used Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp treatment shampoo that you can order online from several retailers in UK

My best suggestion would be shampoos that were already reviewed by http://www.haircareconsumers.com/ if you are concern about allergies, that is the best place where they could explain different types of shampoos.