Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

SRAM 1x11 questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wondering if you MTB ladies have any thoughts/experience on the following SRAM 1x11 questions:

1) The Ovoid front chainring (helps with climbing or is it a hype?)
    2) 26T vs 28T vs 30T front chainring. Any preferences?
    3) Substituting a 44T sprocket on the rear cassette instead of the 42T? Any brand that you recommend?

I have yet to try my "new" used 27.5 wheel bike with the SRAM 1x11 gearing. But, I was just gathering some thoughts on gearing for future reference.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

For gearing, it's really going to depend on type of terrain and riding you do. I'd go with what your shop recommends. Wolf seems to be "the" brand for add on granny gears. That's what I have and it's been fine. I'm getting ready to drop my front derailler and go 1x10 and the advice I got was to talk to a specific shop guy for local recommendation. Same thing with my singlespeed - talked to local shop guys who know my riding style and based my gearing on that. As for the ovoid chainring - there was biopace about 30 years ago and it all sound the same to me but honestly I don't know anything about it.
    Last edited by Irulan; 12-07-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I already have the 11-42 rear cassette on my Liv Lust 27.5er. I swapped out my 30T for a 28T front chainring. The gearing works great and is more comfortable for me now just by switching from the 30T to 28T.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)