Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts and seeds

Nuts and seeds

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally have scheduled a screening colonoscopy. I turned 50 more than a year ago, and have been putting it off because I really just do not want to do it. But my health insurance is changing next year which means it will cost me much less if I do it now. So it's scheduled for next month.

The diet instructions say no nuts, seeds, popcorn or corn for 1 week prior to the procedure. This includes fruits and vegetables with seeds.

So which fruits and vegetables have seeds? Berries, yes. Tomatoes, yes. What about figs? One of my go-to snacks is Nature's Bakery fig bars. I assume red and orange peppers are okay if they've been sliced and the seeds have been removed. Broccoli is okay, right? What about smooth peanut butter -- the idea is to avoid little things that can linger in the colon.

This is really going to mess up my ability to eat for a week. The bread I like has bits of nuts and seeds in it. I eat a lot of Clif bars because they've got a decent amount of protein. I eat blueberry Nutri-Grain bars and blueberry yogurt. I know these are processed foods but I would think that even blueberry filling in a cereal bar could have stray seeds in it. When I eat raisins I end up with little things stuck in my teeth -- are they seeds?

I guess pineapples, peaches, apples, oranges are okay. And beans -- kidney beans or chick peas. And cauliflower?

What about jelly or jam? I prefer blueberry Polaner preserves -- really I do like blueberries! But would grape jelly or jam be okay?

BTW for the clear-liquids-only day, I asked if Gu would be okay. The doctor said one should be alright. I guess I will be stocking up on ginger ale, chicken broth and jello. (The last time I made jello I was in college and there was liquor in it.)

I don't even want to think about the last four hours where I can't have anything at all by mouth, since the appointment is not until early afternoon. I will probably faint!
    Last edited by ny biker; 11-16-2015 at 09:00 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, I had my screening colonoscopy at age 50, and one thing I will say is that early on, during the prep, I was ravenous, but that actually faded, so the night before and the morning of the procedure, I felt ZERO hunger whatsoever. I don't know if this is typical or not, but I assumed it was kind of how starvation works. Not sure, but it was noticeable, like the hunger switch in my brain just turned off at some point. And for that I was thankful! I hope you have the same experience.

I don't think I was super diligent about nuts and seeds the week before; perhaps my instructions were not quite as rigid as I don't recall a big change in my diet until two days before the procedure. Perhaps I am just forgetting, as it's been over four years now.

I do think figs have tiny seeds. I guess google could be your friend in this case, and with many of the other things you mention.

My mother just had a colonoscopy today, as a matter of fact, at age 81. They did find four tiny polyps but they were all the benign type. She was told she never had to have another one -- I guess if you don't have colon cancer by her age, you aren't so likely to get it. I know she is relieved!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oh man, I didn't pay such close attention to the prep instructions! I think I was eating nuts until a couple of days before the procedure. Luckily, it didn't influence the result; Turns out, My colon is "beautiful"

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I found it really hard to follow the instructions; my diet is almost all high fiber. I did it, but I *was* hungry and cranky. I drank all of that awful stuff, too, and the doctor said he couldn't "see" very well.
    Oh well. That was 8 years ago, so I will be doing this again, in a couple of years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I think my doctor might have more requirements for the week before the test than others do. Someone at work told me her husband did not have to restrict his diet that much. Meanwhile I'm making a list of things I can eat that week -- shredded wheat cereal instead of the granola with nuts that I've been eating lately, regular whole-wheat bread/pita/english muffins instead of the bread I usually prefer, vanilla or pineapple or peach yogurt. I think plain old grape jelly should be okay, so I'll pick up a small jar. I'll probably also pick up some dried fruits that I know won't have seeds, like pineapple.

The nasty liquid I have to drink is "only" 16 oz the evening before and another 16 oz at 5 am the day of. Both are followed by 32 oz of a clear liquid. So lots of drinking, but not a whole gallon of nasty stuff. I'm allowed to add Crystal Light to the nasty stuff as long as it's not red.

Gone but not forgotten:

Yes I was thinking that I will bring something with me to have as soon as it's over -- juice or gatorade, some fig bars or cereal bars. I have to get a friend to drive me there and back, and I'd offer to take them to lunch afterwards but I assume I will be too loopy for that.

A few months ago I had bought a box of 6 Italian ices at the grocery store for an occasional summer treat. Then I got sick and wound up eating them all in two days -- they really hit the spot. They would be allowed as a "clear liquid" so I'll get some (lemon or orange) for that day. That and jello should help with the mental aspect of wanting to eat real food. And I'll get some chicken broth for a savory alternative. I was just in Whole Foods walking past the aisle with soy and almond milk -- I wonder if they would be okay since they're not really dairy products (which are not allowed). For the 32 oz chaser after the laxative, I'm thinking ginger ale or cream soda. Too bad that Dr. Brown's black cherry soda is the wrong color -- cherry soda was my go-to hangover drink when I was in college. Ah, memories.

Gone but not forgotten:

The hospital where I had my colonoscopy has muffins and bagels waiting for you when you are in recovery. I ate stuff I never, ever would eat!
    Then, I came home and had Indian food for dinner.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hmm, I had my colonoscopy done just 5 days after the appointment was booked (someone had cancelled). It was 2 yrs. ago.

I don't recall avoiding nuts and seeds. But I did gear down to softer foods. I also had to drink a prescription based powerful laxative (or is it close to an edema?). Pretty awful tasting, but I did it every few hrs. Then had colonoscopy.

I was a given a photo of my colon...just gorgeously clean.

I would suggest you ensure someone takes you home. Don't drive. You'll be too weak.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

They won't do the procedure without a name and phone number for a person driving you home. That' s the next thing I have to do -- find someone to drive me there and back.

I remembered last night that the hospital where this will happen requires you to remove all body piercings. I've never removed the ring from my belly button before. I hope it's easy to put it back in. I suppose this is a good oppurtunity to switch to different jewelry since I've been wanting to do that for a while now. I guess some people might think 51 is too old for a pierced navel but I still like having it.

Gone but not forgotten:

Admittedly after seeing my own clean healthy colon photo, it's given me even more motivation to eat generally healthy (though, I'm far from perfect) and remain active. Yay, plain yogurt, fruit...bicycling, etc.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I've had this done 3 times, although always with a gallon of the nasty stuff (which, to me, tastes like bad Gatorade with baking soda). Keep your intake clear the day of the prep -- I would not take any opaque liquids or a gel. The one thing you want to avoid is being recalled and have to do it again. Low residue diet: no dried fruits, no figs, no cauliflower, brocoli, beans, lentils... Northwestern Memorial has a good handout about it: http://www.nmh.org/ccurl/84/948/lowfiber-diet07.pdf
    I just do a lot of rice and chicken that week...

Jello, broth, Ginger Ale, lemon candy, etc, are all good to have. I did not feel hungry during the prep, but I did get cold and feel a little faint in the hours leading to the procedure (also get a headache). Each time, I took a cab to the hospital and a friend picked me up. Before you are discharged, even before you get up, you will be offered a bite, some juice and some carb like a bagel or crackers).

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    I've had this done 3 times, although always with a gallon of the nasty stuff (which, to me, tastes like bad Gatorade with baking soda). Keep your intake clear the day of the prep -- I would not take any opaque liquids or a gel. The one thing you want to avoid is being recalled and have to do it again. Low residue diet: no dried fruits, no figs, no cauliflower, brocoli, beans, lentils... Northwestern Memorial has a good handout about it: http://www.nmh.org/ccurl/84/948/lowfiber-diet07.pdf
    I just do a lot of rice and chicken that week...

Jello, broth, Ginger Ale, lemon candy, etc, are all good to have. I did not feel hungry during the prep, but I did get cold and feel a little faint in the hours leading to the procedure (also get a headache). Each time, I took a cab to the hospital and a friend picked me up. Before you are discharged, even before you get up, you will be offered a bite, some juice and some carb like a bagel or crackers).
    Well, the diet from Northwestern is interesting. If I follow that for a week I think I will need a laxative...

At this point my biggest concern is the 4 hours with absolutely no food, drink, candy, nothing at all prior to the procedure. I simply don't go that long without drinking a lot, ever. And on a normal day I get lightheaded when I"m hungry, so I probably will faint on the way to the hospital.

Meanwhile re: the belly button piercing, I have a captured bead ring now which apparently is best removed by a professional. Later this week I'm going to a tattoo/piercing place recommended by a friend to look at new jewelry. I hope I can get something that I can easily remove and put back by myself. I tried to do an internet search on jewelry for body piercing last night to get some ideas on what I might want, and ended up downloading a trojan to my pc. Microsoft Security Essentials to the rescue!

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well, the diet from Northwestern is interesting. If I follow that for a week I think I will need a laxative...
    Curiously enough... you will be getting one! Don't worry about that. The one time I had the procedure in the afternoon, I had a terrible headache and spent those hours laying on my bed. It was not a good time and the IV could not be put in place fast enough (within minutes of being hooked on the IV, I felt better). The worst part of the entire deal is the anticipation, so don't anguish about it. Once you start, you'll get it done, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Curiously enough... you will be getting one! Don't worry about that. The one time I had the procedure in the afternoon, I had a terrible headache and spent those hours laying on my bed. It was not a good time and the IV could not be put in place fast enough (within minutes of being hooked on the IV, I felt better). The worst part of the entire deal is the anticipation, so don't anguish about it. Once you start, you'll get it done, no problem.
    I think I was given anaesthesia or something....because was put on the surgery gurney or whatever with physician and someone else by. Then I awoke and they were done. Photo of my colon given after I got dressed.
    No pain, etc.

I didn't eat heck of a lot during the day before colonoscopy. As mentioned, I took a prescribed laxative ...actually is was mixing up to 1 litre of stuff from a drug powder with cold water.

There are worse things...cancer+ chemo..etc. That was what I was thinking.. A lot worse.

I know my partner ended up lying on the living rm. carpet and napped, because he got weakened in prepping himself prior to colonoscopy. He's 5'10" @ 190 lbs.

Well I went for a 40 mile bike ride yesterday. I tried to eat a lot afterwards -- salmon burger with fries and a glass of orange juice immediately after, a big baked potato topped with lots of cheddar cheese for dinner, a big bowl of greek yogurt after that. Nonetheless I was hungry at 1 am. But the clock had started on the clear liquids so I just had a glass of ginger ale.

I woke up a little while ago. I am STARVING. I had 8 oz of a fruit juice cocktail (should have read the label on that before I bought it -- it's thin and watery, not 100% juice.) Now I'm having jello. I won't say "eating jello" because that verb simply can't apply to jello. Anyway my stomach feels full yet I am still hungry. I am also dizzy and I have a headache. It's not even 11 am.

I'm pretty sure I won't get through this without fainting.

Gone but not forgotten: