Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What size Specialized bike to order?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking at ordering a new bike, I think I'm going to go with a Specialized Ruby although I haven't decided on which model yet (Comp or Elite). I'm not sure whether I'll be a 54 or a 57. A year ago, I rented a Roubaix in a size 54, and that seemed fine but I only rode for like 90 minutes in a social ride so I'm not sure I'd be able to tell.

I currently own a men's Trek Domane 4.5 in size 56 and I'm happy with the fit. My fitter changed out the stem for a bit longer than the factory stem to get a longer reach (apparently I have really really long arms). I'm 5'9" tall. I haven't talked to the person doing my fitting about this because he's at a Trek store. I'm pretty happy with my Trek (so why am I looking at a new bike? I don't know. Because I want a new bike :-) I also want to have two bikes so I can keep them in two different places and not always transport them).

The bike shop I'm working with doesn't have any of the size 57 Specialized women's bikes for me to try. They're actually suggesting maybe I should try a Roubaix.

I know there are women here who are masters at figuring out geometry (unfortunately I'm not). Any thoughts on either a 54 or a 57?

Amy

Thank you Muiren! That gets me started. Believe it or not - the Roubaix and Ruby are spec'd out almost identically - about the only difference is going to be in the saddle. I currently ride a Oura 155 on my Trek, and the Ruby comes with the Ruby Expert 155 so I presume it will work for me while the Roubaix has something else in a 143.

I can stand to be a little more aggressive than I am in my Domane now, but I still wanted the "comfort" type style for longer rides. I'm considering the Ruby/Rubaix because (and I'm probably doing an awful job of explaining this) because while I love the seat/feel of the Domane, the handlebars seem "stiffer" or I feel more chatter in my hands and I'm wondering if the zertz in the front fork will fix that in the Ruby/Rubaix on longer and rougher rides. I should probably do more test riding before I decide what to get :-) Winter is coming and I'm not doing many long rides in Indiana now anyway so I should probably wait for spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	17840I like the idea of a carbon stem. I might look for one.

According to my last bike fitting, I have a 90 mm x 97 degree stem. I don't know what the original stem was - I know the replacement is longer and it helped me feel less "crunched." I also have the seat and handlebar at the same level, but I could handle a bit more aggressive and we talked about maybe changing that. I'm trying to read the other measurements of the bike fitting, but they don't quite seem to line up exactly.

The horizontal measurement from the front of the saddle to the bottom bracket is 9.5 cm, while the horizontal measurement from the front of the saddle to the handlebar attachment at the stem is 53 cm. I must not understand what "reach" is effectively measuring because I'm having trouble making those measurements work with the Domane's measurements (or maybe they're not adding up because I'm not taking into account the original stem on the bike or the length of my saddle since it looks like the measurement doesn't go to the seatpost?). I've tried to upload the fitting report here. I'm usually pretty good with visual/geometry kind of stuff, but for some reason I seem to be obtuse on bike geometry. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Aromig; 11-04-2015 at 07:16 AM.