Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter indoor training has started

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is my favorite time of the year. When I get to jump on my Kinetic Rock and Roll and do my planned training. Or do my muscle training. My set up is so awesome that it does not sound like training and never boring. I love Fall and Winter.

This afternoon we did intervalls. An hour of training on bike. It was sooo hard but rewarding when done. Then I went on to do my lunges, squats, worked the arms and finished with the foam roller. Life is grand.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Sounds like fun! At first I thought you are training solo but then I read the rest of your post It sounds like you've all the modalities addressed! Thankfully, since I don't currently have a gym membership, I can use my kettlebell herd for everything - including cardio.

I (so is hubby) have a blast training at home, sometime by myself, sometimes I compete against him (but he wins hihi). And so much easier than head to a gym. At same time, I can take my 1 or 2 minute break in-between sets to throw a dog a ball or even use a dog as weight. hihi So combining it all is just pure pleasure. I can hop into shower or go play outside a few minutes with dogs before shower. No need to travel to get to gym, etc. I have no issue with discipline for training so it helps. Going to the gym is not working well for us.

I do have all I need to work out from home too.

This is part of it (some more on the right but does not show on pic).

I have my Bosu ball, elastic bands, free weight, etc. We use on-line videos (like Sufferfest). My PT who is also a kinesio does my program during Fall/Winter. So I have no choice as all my training is put on Training Peaks and once I'm done cycling (or other program she had prepared for x night) it goes straight to her from TPeaks. So I can't cheat much either. hihi
    Helene

Funny, I have almost all of that stuff, and I am very disciplined, but I have found that I work harder with the peer pressure of a group. I hate being on my trainer for more than 30 minutes, even if I am following some kind of program. Everybody's different, though. Most of the people at the gym don't do anything outside, but I go in, do what I'm there for, and leave. It's just an adjunct to riding, nordic skiing, or snow shoeing. I need to do strength/core stuff or yoga, and it's just not the same at home. And I work harder in a spin class than on my trainer.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Very nice setup! All I have are 7 kettlebells, a wall-mounted Jungle Gym (a suspension system) and a few other odds and ends. Back when I could still ride and had a trainer I hated being on the trainer - so kudos to you for doing it! For me as well, a spinning class was always better. Now I can't ride and I keep looking for alternatives. I've a good number of conditioning KB workouts that are great for cardiovascular & endurance work (as well as strength), but I always keep an eye out for something that will allow me to do something different. Right now that alternative appears to be hiking, don't know how deep into the winter I can take that (cold-air induced asthma), but I will work something out. My body hates most machines in the gym and given my current limitations I hate to pay a gym membership so I can walk the track...

I'm like Crankin - I hate being on the trainer. I'm going to try to do more this winter, but I say that every winter. I have what I need to do at home (I love to do Beachbody videos, there are enough to keep things changing) so when I'm short on time I can do that, but actually GOING to the gym usually makes me do more. It's like if I spent the time and effort to get here, I have to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Should I feel sorry for myself? It's 70 degrees, and we get no snow. I don't even need arm-warmers, much less a coat.

(nah nah nah na na!).

i almost feel guilty when writing about my usual dry and warm weather fall/winter rides here....with the exception of pilates and yoga i'm comfortably outside year round with my exercise activity. and then i also have friends on the east coast who bike commute all winter in weather i wouldn't even want to be in anymore.....i have big respect for their tenacity and see an interesting challenge in it.

nice indoor set up helene !!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Should I feel sorry for myself? It's 70 degrees, and we get no snow. I don't even need arm-warmers, much less a coat.

(nah nah nah na na!).
    I hate you! I hate you! I HAAAAATE YOUUUU!.... Well your "decent" weather that is. hihi

But seriously, we love indoor training. But I also like to use my snowshoes, do snow angels while playing with my dogs in the snow, etc. I just hate the very cold snappy weather. And having to bundle up just to get to do an errand. But if I could get a 70-72f all year long I'd be happy. Viva retirement so we can spend winter with nice climate and we can go to a snowy destination when we feel like it and not obliged like now.
    Helene

You know, I've often wondered if I would ride year round if I lived in a place that didn't snow. I kind of get sick of riding around this time of year, but that is just part of the cycle of the seasons. I ride outdoors until the first snow, usually through December. The last 2 years, I did not ride in January or February, but in the past, I would get a couple of rides in. But, I so look forward to X country skiing. The season is really short here, basically 8 weeks or so, and that still involves some traveling, as we often don't have enough snow for Nordic skiing, when they do up north. Personally, I would rather have the snow when it's <25 degrees. Hotter than that, the skiing isn't always great, and once it gets to 35, I will ride, hike, or snow shoe. The gym is for my muscle/core training, no matter the season.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I am actually looking forward to my indoor training this season. We have been doing some more home remodeling and decided to turn one of the spare bedrooms into my "bike room" for storage and training. I am not totally finished with the room yet but am very excited to have all my cycling gear organized into one space.

I will post photos once it is completed.

Still have to paint and install floor/door molding and move my stuff in......
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Trek-chick View Post
    I am actually looking forward to my indoor training this season. We have been doing some more home remodeling and decided to turn one of the spare bedrooms into my "bike room" for storage and training. I am not totally finished with the room yet but am very excited to have all my cycling gear organized into one space.

I will post photos once it is completed.

Still have to paint and install floor/door molding and move my stuff in......
    Color me green with envy. I live in a 1BR condo. I don't want a big house, but I would love just one more room for the bikes.

In the past couple of years I have expanded my winter wardrobe and am able to ride more in the winter, down to 40 degrees or so as long as the roads are dry and not covered with salt, which causes asthma problems for me. It works well because I can ride indoors sometimes but have never been able to do it regularly throughout the entire winter. But yes last spring I reached a point where I wanted a break from cycling, until I came down with the mother of all colds and missed out on some rides that I look forward to every year.

Some folks in my bike club do a weekly Sunday afternoon ride throughout the winter, weather permitting. It's a relatively short, flat route that ends at a popular coffee place so people can enjoy a hot beverage after the ride. Last winter I started leading a semi-regular weekend afternoon ride that started from a different location which allowed me to easily the change the route for every ride and has a coffee and donuts place nearby for a post-ride treat. This year I hope to do more of those rides but also alternate them with rides in a different area that also allows for good route variety. The funny thing about leading winter rides is the looks on people's faces at the start if you have any announcements to make -- everyone really wants to start pedaling so they can warm up.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

We are pretty hooked up for training at home too. The only thing I attend a class for is yoga. I also do not mind trainer sessions, but we ride outside all winter. We mountain bike regularly in the teens and we have been on the road in the 20's but we have not done that in a while. I have all the gear and then some so it is not bad. I am inside all day in a classroom with no windows, so running and cycling outside in the winter save my sanity.

That's exactly how I feel. When I go to the gym for a class, it's in and out in an hour, usually very early in the AM, unless it's yoga. I might do a spin class on the weekends or on one of my days off during the week, if I can't do an outdoor activity. But, I also have all of the gear, and being outside cures pretty much anything for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I think if I had room for a good workout space at home, I would use it when the weather is really bad, like when there are severe storms or icy conditions. I typically walk to and from the gym for weight training and I used to do cardio there too during the winter, until that became boring and I started to make more of an effort to bundle up and go for walks around my neighborhood instead. But sometimes I end up stuck at home because conditions are not good for any amount of walking or driving. I would still want the variety of going to the gym or outside, but a third option of a good workout at home would be useful.

Of course I say that in theory -- there are enough days when I could ride the bike on the trainer but can't get motivated to change my clothes and set up the equipment in my living room. But if the equipment was always set up in its own space, that would definitely help get over the inertia.

This is making me think -- maybe I could come up with a bad-weather workout routine at home that could substitute for the weight training I do at the gym. I don't have room for much equipment and can't jump around and make noise in my apartment, but maybe I could do something with elastic bands, for example. I'll ask my trainer for suggestions.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Most of the weight training I do is "noiseless". Bands, free weights - although my trainer prefers bands as you work hard to control the return on the bands, exercice balls to do some of the abs/buttock works. Bosu is good for squats and stability stuff, and of course your own weight when doing planks, lunges, etc. So I think that you can get a good workout without heading to the gym when not feeling/able to do so.

Unless you must get to a gym to get some stimulation or interaction with other people. My employer reimburses me for sports activities (although taxable benefit - and not for purchasing own stuff - bummer!) but I barely use it. I used it 3x only to register to some organized bike rides. Good enough.

So I'm sure your trainer will be able to get you something for weight training. Just don't know for warm ups what you could do as I either cycle or run on treadmill for 15 minutes or so before weights.
    Helene