Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Tonight was a Sufferfest - There is no try. faster and faster intervals. Hard! Cut the program in half as it is too hard right now for me. Did 40 minutes and then a 20 minutes of physiotherapy for my ankle and some muscle workout.

I did get a calf cramp mid-way into the Sufferfest as I was pushing so hard without thinking as I had so much fun. I just love training at home.

So hooked up on Sufferfest and cycling that during dinner (now) we are watching a new video they got out on style... 90 minutes of this training. hihi Can't wait to try that one out on a weekend.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Sounds like you're having fun, Helene.

I finally got around to asking my trainer about workout equipment I could use at home given my limited space for exercise and storage. He recommended a TRX suspension trainer. I'm going to ask for one for Christmas (or gift cards to put towards the purchase, since $200 is a bit much to ask for a Christmas gift).

Meanwhile the weather here is still okay for outdoor activities, though I'm hearing that we're in for some cold weather soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yep. Enjoying training at home a lot.

I can do most of the things I need to do with terra bands that were given to me by physiotherapist. They come in different colours for different strengths. I'm sure your PT could give you some or Amazon or places like this sell for cheap. Once I'm done through this program I'm sore all over. Add an excercie ball, a stability ball (I have the Bosu pro but some are way cheaper and do the trick), foam roller, and your own body weight can do the rest. You may had a few free weights but my trainer avoids them as bands forces you to control more the moves. And almost noiseless if you have to think about neighbours.

Bands take little room, you can attach them to anything of even make a knot and use a door passages, etc. Mine are on hooks when not in use so it takes no space at all.

Good luck and have fun if you get something like this for training at home.
    Helene

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Sounds like you're having fun, Helene.

I finally got around to asking my trainer about workout equipment I could use at home given my limited space for exercise and storage. He recommended a TRX suspension trainer. I'm going to ask for one for Christmas (or gift cards to put towards the purchase, since $200 is a bit much to ask for a Christmas gift).

Meanwhile the weather here is still okay for outdoor activities, though I'm hearing that we're in for some cold weather soon.
    You might want to consider a suspension system very comparable to the TRX but at literally half the cost, the Jungle Gym XT. It is also possible to find it on sale (especially at Perform Better) for even less. I've used both systems extensively and I prefer the Jungle Gym. I like the straps better, and it does have a very different foot cradle. Right now Perform Better has it on sale for $85 and free shipping. I sprang for the wall anchor as well, but the straps comes with a door anchor. They also sell an extension strap but I've not found a need for that personally. I also use bands for my PT exercises, but I prefer my suspension system for other types of work.

Hi all, I've just had my very first training ride on our new indoor trainer set up in the lounge, as we're tight on space here. It's a Graber Mag (made by Cyclops I think). Although it took a little while to get the resistance settings right for me, I did an hour and got a decent sweaty workout. I much prefer whizzing along in scenery, but this will be adequate when the weather caves in and I put the TV on which helped.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marilyn on trainer.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	17893

Outdoor rides definitely are better, but I try to remind myself that the indoor riding makes it easier to ride outside again when the weather improves.

Thanks for the tip on the Jungle Gym XT, Catrin. It's on my Christmas list.

Gone but not forgotten:

NY Biker, I think you will like it. The foot cradle is quite different and takes some getting used to but still.

My favorite gym contacted me today and offered me the opportunity to re-join without the re-joining fee. They usually only do that in January and July, but there is a full service HUGE YMCA opening that is quite close and they appear to be in direct competition with NIFS, at least as far as equipment goes. They can't, however, compete in the education level of the staff and in a few other areas. I also have quite a quite nice discount through my employer's wellness program and as winter settles in I won't be hiking much, so it is back to the gym until at least spring. I will still do most of my work at home but it will be nice to have access to more indoor options.

Friday I get the FMS and more information on my knee/gait problem. Crossing my fingers that it isn't permanent...

Catrin-

Might be worth asking if they will match the rates you would get at the new gym. Lots of fees are negotiable - particularly gyms in my experience.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Actually my preferred gym is the less expensive even though we have discounts at both. I really didn't want to join the Y but was considering it. I'm happy The Y just doesn't have the same education standards for thier staff (I don't think anyone else does either) and doesn't have the open space and toys...tools for the functional training I like to do when I'm not playing with kettlebells.
    Last edited by Catrin; 12-03-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    We are pretty hooked up for training at home too. The only thing I attend a class for is yoga. I also do not mind trainer sessions, but we ride outside all winter. We mountain bike regularly in the teens and we have been on the road in the 20's but we have not done that in a while. I have all the gear and then some so it is not bad. I am inside all day in a classroom with no windows, so running and cycling outside in the winter save my sanity.
    How do you get past the wind blowing in your face? I usually like to and find comfortable riding with humidity because of the no wind factor. I would like to ride outside still but the wind cuts my energy levels.

The more you will ride under those conditions (winds) the stronger you will be and able to push further.
    Helene

It also helps to find some routes that offer protection from the wind. In general, open spaces are bad on windy days and tree-lined roads are better. Sometimes you can modify your route to avoid the worst of the wind. Rail trails are often not good on windy days because you end up going in one direction for a long time, and if that direction is into the wind it will wear you down fast. Trails and roads near water (like the Mount Vernon trail on the Potomac) also tend to be windier, and colder too.

Gone but not forgotten:

So, I got the Jungle Gym XT for Christmas. I will probably try it out on New Year's Eve when the gym will close too early for me to get there.

For use in a doorway, the instructions say to use a three hinge door that opens away from you. I have no three hinge doors in my home. The only way to use a door that opens away from me is to use it in a hallway that's too narrow, on the balcony or in the stairwell outside my apartment. None of these options is good. But I think it should work okay if I use it in my living room with my front door. It has two big spring hinges and the frame is metal. It is always deadbolted and no one opens it except me.

My trainer also will start incorporating some suspension exercises into my regular gym workout, which is good because I would like his help to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

Gone but not forgotten:

Sounds good NY Biker - and I think your front door will be fine as you've a metal frame and you keep it deadbolted. I purchased the wall-mount and paid a handy-man friend to install it for me so I would know it was mounted properly on the studs. I'm very happy with that setup, and it sounds like you've worked out something that will work for you. It does help to have your trainer teach you some suspension exercises so you know your form is correct. The foot cradle is quite different between the TRX and Jungle Gym, but I prefer the latter anyway. Not that I can use that yet so I don't overstress that knee.

Have fun and let us know how you like it!

Congrats on getting the Jungle Gym NY biker! I've had mine about 4 years, and have used it quite a bit. I also teach some fitness classes and we use another brand of straps, but all is good. There are TONS of movements that you can do with the straps, so have fun in finding out what they are, what you like. There are definitely a good workout and shed some light for all of us.