Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Really, Colnago?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am glad to see more and more vocal objections to this kind of advertising in cycling
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...t-tweet-196684
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Though it is disturbing that there are multiple men working for Colnago who saw no problem with that photo or with the tweet -- still seeing the world only in terms of the men who buy their products, and either incapable of perceiving that they are degrading to women or perceiving it and thinking it's okay.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Major misstep indeed. Should not have happened. But I appreciate that they offered a decent apology - none of this "we're sorry if you were offended" that we often see, but an appropriate "we apologize for posting the image."

Since it took lots of negative reactions to sense that objectifying women is unacceptable I’d say their marketing people are way behind the learning curve about sexist ads. Blocking people on Facebook who criticized it/them also diminishes the apology. In reading their Facebook apology and the comments you can see the consequences of that and little of the real social media reaction to the original post.…..and that bike looks too big for her anyway, which would make the photo session and final photo even more egregious. hopefully the social media reactions to a few of these instances lately will give bicycling marketing people something to really be aware of.

Now an ad with a photo of khg riding her Colnago up Passo delle Erbe would earn raves from me.....
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 10-28-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post

Now an ad with a photo of khg riding her Colnago up Passo delle Erbe would earn raves from me.....

My ears must have been burning! I haven't had time to read the forum lately because my new job has been so busy, but tonight thought I'd lurk a little and see what has been going on...

I was totally bummed when this Colnago ad came out, but like so many, I'm heartened at the responses to it. I took it pretty personally--it seemed like an insult to my wonderful bike that I love riding so much. For the record, my Colnago fits me, and I never ride it barefoot

No photos of me riding up the Passo delle Erbe, but I think someone got one of me riding up the Giau--I'll see if I can chase it down!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com