Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Oh what I would not do for a "cool front". It is so ridiculously warm here right now. Probably 25 degrees above normal. It is just not right. Blech.
    Somehow I doubt you'd be very impressed by our cool front. The main thing it did for us is bring the dewpoint down from 79-80F to 69-70F. The temps are somewhat lower too, but still 70 to low 80s, but the lower humidity makes it feel so much better. Hope your temps will cool down soon!

I did 3.5 miles running (plus more walking) on Thanksgiving and 2.25 miles running (a little faster) plus more walking today. I am pressed for time on Saturday mornings so have to keep it short, so sped it up a bit and didn't seem to have any issues with my Achilles. Happy about that. I am definitely enjoying being back to the running 3x a week, but next week we're traveling, so I'll only get in one run (Tuesday).

Congrats on your 8.5, RnR; that's great!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks Emily, and good job to you. It sounds like it is coming along. Running takes patience. Slow and steady you go.

I was going to do a 30 min recovery run this morning, but it is raining and since I don't "have to" why get wet? So I think I will eat, grade some papers and go to yoga in a few hours.

I got in three solid runs this week. Monday and Thursday 5 each on the rail trail and yesterday we did an hour trail run, but hard. We had just done 3 weekends of building on the long trail run, so we decided a step down week was probably in order. My foot that I had surgery on last year is barking at me. I feel like it is fighting the orthotic in the shoe. I have an appt with the doc that did the surgery on Wed. It would make sense, the device was made pre-surgery to help correct the problem I had surgery for. It is not the same foot.

I went to the foot surgeon yesterday. I always bring all of my current running shoes with me, so I had a 3 pair of shoes dragging along. I called the collection, the old ones, the wrong ones and my trail runners. he is a HUGE doc for all of the big runners in the area. Olympic athletes, professional athletes, the whole deal. So everyone is always dragging theirs shoes with them.

I pulled them all out, he takes one look at my current shoes and says....What the heck you doing in those? That is WAY too much shoes for you. No wonder your orthotics hurt.

So the good news is my foot is fine. The bad news is I need to ditch my current shoes and go back to my Brooks Ghosts. Lucky for me I found a pair on sale last night. He is also making me another pair of orthotics, so bad news that I had to shell out big bucks for those. He is out of network so I have to pay up front and then fight like crazy to get money back.

Even my surgery, I had to pay a huge chunk up front, and then BCBS deemed it medically unnecessary and we are still fighting to get money back.

But if that is the worst of it, fine. Merry Christmas to me, new orthotics. And I did not resign up for yoga, so that balances out.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    RnR, I hate it when a pair of shoes just doesn't work out. I usually turn them into garden shoes. I have many pairs of garden shoes

I have not run a step since the 12 hour in mid-October. I have a wee problem that I decided I would just let mellow by taking a break from running. I just started doing some longer (30-minute) walks this week and once I can do these without pain then I will start to run/walk again. It's ski season so once we have a consistent base for skating, I suspect that will take up the bulk of my exercise time. I also got some new backcountry ski gear this year (Merry Christmas to me!) and hope to try out SkiMo. Lots to keep me occupied.

I did sign up for one race next year (in June) but that might be it. I am considering some big life changes and might not have the time and energy to train like normal. Still working through it all.

We just got back from a week-long trip, so today I did my first run in just over a week. Nice little 5K. Temps are a little cooler now, so that makes running more pleasant; plus it was overcast (yay!) Was sad to see when I finished that my left shoe has sprung a hole in the mesh above my middle toe area. These shoes (Asics) are only four months old, and I don't run that much, so I think they should be more robust than this for $125. Sigh....

When we get back to the states, whenever that happens to be (spring or summer), I need to look for a different style that won't spring a hole in the top. My last pair of Vasque trail runners did this in both shoes rather quickly (6 months or so, can't recall), but at least those were a discontinued model I'd purchased on Ebay, so I hadn't invested quite as much.

Glad your foot is okay after all, RnR, but bummer on the pricey orthotics!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    RnR, I hate it when a pair of shoes just doesn't work out. I usually turn them into garden shoes. I have many pairs of garden shoes

I have not run a step since the 12 hour in mid-October. I have a wee problem that I decided I would just let mellow by taking a break from running. I just started doing some longer (30-minute) walks this week and once I can do these without pain then I will start to run/walk again. It's ski season so once we have a consistent base for skating, I suspect that will take up the bulk of my exercise time. I also got some new backcountry ski gear this year (Merry Christmas to me!) and hope to try out SkiMo. Lots to keep me occupied.

I did sign up for one race next year (in June) but that might be it. I am considering some big life changes and might not have the time and energy to train like normal. Still working through it all.
    I would love to do skimo. When we retire in a few years, it will be to the mountains and it is the first thing on my list of cool new sports. I am a good downhill skier and a pretty good xc skier, and I like to go fast, so chug up and fly down sounds perfect to me.

Got in a 9 mile trail run today. We ran our usual route in reverse, which is harder. My foot felt good, which is a relief. My new road shoes are coming on Monday. I kept looking down at my garmin today today and saying to myself, self, this is too fast for your long run, but once I settled into the pace I was stuck there. Oh well. I guess misbehaving for one long run will not sink the ship.

So all in all a good day.

Nice job, RnR! Glad you had a good run, and since you've been doing 6-8 mile trail runs, I doubt you'll suffer any ill effects.

I missed my run this morning. This is the morning I'm pressed for time since I volunteer at the dog rescue at 9 am. This morning I had a sick dog myself -- lots of poop clean-up was involved (thank the gods for tile floors!) I'm also a bit off on time as we had to "spring forward" an hour after being in another part of Mexico last week, so I am having a harder time getting up in the morning.

Perhaps it is just as well -- I am very sore from yoga yesterday after over a week off because of our trip, so I am not sure I would have had the best run anyway.
    Emily

Well, my new shoes came Monday. I ran in them yesterday. Much better. I have one tiny sore area on th outside of my foot still, but I no longer feel like my shoe and orthotic are fighting it out. So a nice post work 5 miler to start the ball rolling in my new Brooks.

Ran + a little walking 3.35 miles total yesterday. SUPER humid, hot and sweaty morning. Just not fun. I am ready for our next Norte, as I really struggled with this one. I believe we're supposed to get the next cool front Friday, which means one more sweatfest for tomorrow morning's run.
    Emily