Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Fall Running Thread

In an effort to get some conversation going, I thought I would start a new thread.

I am in the beginning stages of an uphill climb ( literally) towards The North Face Endurance Challenge at Bear Mt New York in May, so I have been running and now I will start posting.

Right now we are doing 3 runs a week:

1 interval
    1 long on our rail trail
    1 trail run

I am feeling good so far. Not fast, but strong. probably from all of the yoga. I have the trail run up to an hour, and the longer rail trial run up to an hour.

We are planning on going the half at North Face in May. I wanted to do the full trail marathon, but my husband and training partner is totally not on board. So for now I am going to do the half, which is still a beast.

That sounds great RnR. I'd love to hear more about this endurance challenge. It sounds tough!

Of course you know I am on the injured reserve list at the moment, but I fully intend to get back to running just as soon as I am able and hope to be posting on this thread. I'll be reading anyway!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    That sounds great RnR. I'd love to hear more about this endurance challenge. It sounds tough!

Of course you know I am on the injured reserve list at the moment, but I fully intend to get back to running just as soon as I am able and hope to be posting on this thread. I'll be reading anyway!
    Emily,
    I must have missed the injury. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Emily,
    I must have missed the injury. What happened?
    Oh, I think I posted about in Thread Drift. I have a sore right Achilles tendon, or is it soleus, or both? Not sure, but it hurts walking down stairs and anything faster than a walk. It came on after I added speedwork to my running a week ago. It seems to be improving slowly, but no running for awhile. We're having a really rainy period here, so it happened at a good time, if it had to happen. I had hoped to do a local 5K next Saturday, but that is not going to happen now.
    Emily

Oh, I think I posted about in Thread Drift. I have a sore right Achilles tendon, or is it soleus, or both? Not sure, but it hurts walking down stairs and anything faster than a walk. It came on after I added speedwork to my running a week ago. It seems to be improving slowly, but no running for awhile. We're having a really rainy period here, so it happened at a good time, if it had to happen. I had hoped to do a local 5K next Saturday, but that is not going to happen now.
    Oh, I am sorry. Had you been running consistently? I usually back off speedwork if I have had a period of inconsistency. I waited months after my surgery before adding any in.

I hope it heals quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Oh, I am sorry. Had you been running consistently? I usually back off speedwork if I have had a period of inconsistency. I waited months after my surgery before adding any in.

I hope it heals quickly.
    Thanks! It seems to be a bit better today in that descending stairs is less painful, so hopefully I am on the road to recovery.

I had been running pretty consistently. But I had recently broken my pinky toe in a vicious encounter with a chair leg, so I'd had to take three weeks off. And after starting back slowly, I'd gradually increased from 2x a week to 3x (just 3ish miles each time, though). In the interest of full disclosure, my Achilles was a tiny bit tender for a couple of weeks prior, but not enough to bother me running. I figured it was just all the stairs I have to do on a daily basis (we're in a 4th floor walkup, the yoga studio I go to 3x a week is also on the fourth floor, etc). I wanted to do a 5K event on the 24th, so my DH suggested adding some speedier intervals to last Saturday's run. I have never done speedwork in my life, and I thought it went rather well until the next morning when I woke up with the Achilles pain. I later read that a soleus strain can refer pain to the ankle and cause pain descending stairs, so it may be that rather than Achilles tendinitis.

In any event, I shouldn't have done the speedwork while I had any tenderness AND so soon after the broken toe. Lesson learned!
    Emily

Good luck on Sunday and have fun!

That's a beautiful rail-trail, RnR. I hope your cranky calf will be happier during your race.

My Achilles is still not 100% but is a lot better than it was, so I am doing just a little running a couple of times a week after a long walking warm-up. Tuesday I ran close to 2 miles out of my 3-mile walk, so that was good. Not even wearing my GPS as I don't want to think about speed or anything. Just enjoying the cardio and taking it slowly.
    Emily

That's a beautiful rail-trail, RnR. I hope your cranky calf will be happier during your race.

My Achilles is still not 100% but is a lot better than it was, so I am doing just a little running a couple of times a week after a long walking warm-up. Tuesday I ran close to 2 miles out of my 3-mile walk, so that was good. Not even wearing my GPS as I don't want to think about speed or anything. Just enjoying the cardio and taking it slowly.
    I just got in from testing the cranky calf waters and it seems to have calmed down. At least on flat roads. So if I behave and talk nicely to it I may just be good to go for Sunday. I am glad your achilles is feeling better.

Survived my trail race today. It is a tough course. Punchy climbs and descents with lots of roots. It is a state park so they built stairs on lots of the steep climbs and I am not sure if that is better or worse for short legs. I was slower than last time I raced it, but I knew that would be the case. But I ran a solid race and none of my niggles bothered me. I did come home with a very sore instep on my right foot. Not during, started barking after. Not sure what that is about, but it feels like the meaty part of the foot so I am sure it is just trail weary.

I have not seen the full results yet, so I have no idea how I stacked up to the rest of the runners, not sure I care too much at the moment.

Yay, RnR, you did it! Hope the instep thing doesn't bother for long.
    Emily