Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I actually ran a little today, and nothing is hurting! After yoga, everything (hip, SI, groin) felt good. My intent was to hike on the trail that you can access from my neighborhood. So, I changed my top, kept my capris on, but I did not change into my trail running shoes, just kept my regular shoes on. Got down my driveway, and the urge to run just "overtook" me. Ran down the hill, with a short walk break on the uphill), onto the flat part of the trail. Didn't want to get my nice shoes all mucked up, so I decided to run up to the point where I can hike up a very steep incline, back to the street. This is a trail that I have only gone up or down on, on snowshoes. It is not the same one I have described as being steep. It's even steeper! But, shorter. I ran up as long as I could, started hiking, and actually had to stop for a sec. for a breath. The place where it intersects with the other side, which I usually go up, is probably 20% grade. You can see the street, but it is still a steep climb to it. Just as I crested the top and stepped down onto the street, I was thinking of walking back to the house (it's downhill from here) when a guy on roller skis was coming up on me. I guess peer pressure made me run to my mailbox. Then I walked up my driveway.
    No idea how far, I'd say about 2 miles, maybe 1.75. I'm letting myself believe going up that climb counts for more. Will stretch more, use heat on my SI and hope all is well tomorrow. I am going to a conference, so I will be sitting for 8 hours.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good going, Crankin! I am sure that was some strenuous running, with the hills. I have an almost dead flat path to run on here, just a slight bit of grade. I like it, though, as I seem to be so injury-prone, and running hills, up or down, would seem to make injuries more likely. Hope you don't have any bad after-effects. Just don't do too much, too soon, since you haven't really been running. I have made this mistake before. I am trying to avoid yet another injury by not doing that again!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I don't see a lot of running in my future. But, I often find myself running in the shoulder seasons of fall and spring.
    Woke up this morning with my right SI screaming, but this happens quite a bit. I didn't sleep well last night, but got up and did 20 minutes on the treadmill. Combination of walking, hill walking, and running. I did all of my stretching and foam rolling; now at the conference, and I am stiffening up. It's boring, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good Job Crankin!! Sounds like an awesome trail. Sorry about the screaming SI joint. Mine gets cranky sometimes too so I sympathize.

We our longish trail run this morning, just under 8 miles, 90 mins, all single track, mix of hills and twisties. I felt pretty good considering my legs were tired from racing last w/e and from yoga this week. I am working on my nutrition so I took a gel at 35 mins and half a honey stinger waffle 30 mins later. Both sat well. So I consider that to be a win. My stomach is the worst.

I was pretty pumped when I got home. Got cleaned up, ate, did some chores and then we headed out to shop at REI and Trader Joe's. At about 2:15 pm in REI it was like somebody flipped a switch. I looked at Chris my husband and said, I am going down like a stone. I got SO sleepy. So we wrapped it up and drove on home. Now I am ready for a glass of wine and some dinner. And the couch

Sounds like a great trail run, RnR. I know that feeling of suddenly just being dead tired. Shopping does it to me, especially after physical exertion. I hope you get some good rest and maybe take a day off to recover tomorrow?
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Sounds like a great trail run, RnR. I know that feeling of suddenly just being dead tired. Shopping does it to me, especially after physical exertion. I hope you get some good rest and maybe take a day off to recover tomorrow?
    I just did a 30 min recovery spin on the trainer and I am going to an easy yoga class at 10:30, so all easy active recovery today.

I miss the Sunday restorative yoga practice I used to go to in Belize from time to time. On a rainy day like today, that would be perfect. Our studio does not have weekend practices.
    Emily

Finally, my first three-mile continuous run since my Achilles strain. Taking it slow and easy to avoid stressing the Achilles (10:54 pace) but felt good. It was a beautiful morning, the first nice one we've had in awhile -- it's been rainy and gloomy for days and days.
    Emily

Hi guys!
    Got in 2 solid runs so far this week. Tues and Thurs. Both days I had a window of time after about 30 mins where I felt absolutely fantastic. Could be that it is cooling off a bit, could be that I took it really easy with yoga the days in between. Not sure, but I will take it! Tomorrow is my lonish trail run. Looks nice and cool so I am excited to go.

I think I am going to back my yoga down a notch while I am increasing my running for my race in May. That may mean practicing at home during the week and only taking a group class on w/e for a few months.

I love my studio, but as you well know, that class is at the whim of the instructor. For example last week I went to an All Levels cool class. Normally challenging but doable. Well the instructor made it "all about balance day." The whole class was lunging, no hands, standing on one leg, lots of warrior III. So not anything I can't handle, but not the best for letting your legs recover between running workouts. My legs were so tired after.

Home practice will allow me more control over time and difficulty. Just for a few months.

I struggle with this too, RnR. Since I'm not racing, I'm hanging in there, but the yoga practice I go to is pretty exhausting on the legs, so with running, I am not sure if the two mesh all that well. Normally I go to yoga MWF and run TuTh and sometimes Saturday before I volunteer at the dog rescue place. I only ride my bike on Saturday, short to the dog rescue, and longer on Sunday, because of the traffic and very limited routes. I have a feeling my running would be better without yoga, and I even wonder if my Achilles problem is due to yoga and not running, which I originally thought. It is still tender, and I occasionally feel a twinge in yoga but not while running.

So, I'm not sure what to do. Since it's so much cheaper to pay by the month for yoga, I hate to go less, and it is so good for my flexibility, especially my back and hips that really need it, as well as upper body strength, which I also really need.

I guess for now I'll just keep on keeping on and see how things go over time.

Glad you're having some good runs! I finally ran a continuous 5K (unofficial) plus walked another couple of miles yesterday, and it was tough mostly because of the heat and humidity. We are having summer-like weather right now and just waiting for the next Norte to bring it down a bit. I also ended up with a blister on my toe...ugh. I wore toe socks, so that must have been the problem since I haven't been wearing those. It's always something!
    Emily

Just got in from my "long" trail run. We did just under 8 miles. Same as last week. We were joined by a friend for the first half. He is going through a bitter divorce, so he ran behind me and I just let him talk it out. I did not add much to the conversation except and an occasional snot rocket and a reminder that he did not ask for what he is going through.

Second half was a bit brisker pace, just focusing on pacing and nutrition, and not shuffling my feet when I get tired. That is a recipe for disaster.

So a solid training run. I need some more food and a good stretch before I start to wrangle the dust bunnies.

Good going, RnR! I would love to be able to run 8 miles someday. But not in this climate!

It was another sultry morning -- we are having summer in November here. I managed 2.5 miles of running, which was fine, because I don't have much time on Saturday morning. After my run, I have just enough time for a quick shower (today a sponge bath b/c our water was out!), breakfast, change into bike clothes, and ride up to the dog rescue, where I volunteer on Saturday mornings. Was glad to find that the toe blister didn't bother me, nor anything else other than the humidity -- gak!
    Emily

Got in a great 5 miler yesterday. Legs are feeling more recovered since I have backed off yoga. That being said my husband's separated shoulder has healed enough to resume mt biking so that will now get added into the mix. So I will just have to keep on eye on my weekends.

Sounds good RnR!

We had a "cold" (make that cool and blustery, for here) front come through, and yesterday it had just stopped raining when I got out for my morning run -- 5K miles at a gentle pace. It sure was easier with clouds and cooler temps! Tomorrow looks like more of the same, though we may see some sun; we'll see. I plan to get out for my own personal "turkey trot" before feasting later in the day.
    Emily

Oh what I would not do for a "cool front". It is so ridiculously warm here right now. Probably 25 degrees above normal. It is just not right. Blech. Anyway. We got in 8.5 on the trails today. My legs were tired from mt biking on Thursday so the entire 1:35 mins was an exercise in separating mind and body. I was pretty shot by the end.

About an hour after we were home, showed and fed, we both realized that if we did not get up and move, the couch would suck us in. So we went out and ran errands for a few hours. I am sure my legs will be tired tomorrow.