Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Nice picture, Rocknroll.
    I am envious of everyone running. I so want to be a runner, at least on a moderate basis, but my body rebels. I even bought some nice trail running shoes, because I like it better than road running. But, even that hurts my hips and mildly affects my knees.
    I feel your pain. Every time I get to running on a regular basis, something seems to happen to thwart it. From a bad cold with cough to a broken toe to my current Achilles issue, sometimes it seems like it's just not meant to be. My knees and hips have been good, but my feet are giving me fits! I'm not giving up, though. I'm stubborn like that.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Absolutely gorgeous photos, RnR and Yellow. I would be happy to run in either of those settings! I'm running in a very different kind of place that looks like this:
    Attachment 17838

It's pretty, to be sure, but there's a lot of landmines (dog poop) from unleashed dogs running around, and it's hot and sticky. Last winter when we were here I ran mostly at the track, but there is NO shade there, and at least this MUT has quite a few areas of shade at the time I run (mornings).
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous photos, RnR and Yellow. I would be happy to run in either of those settings! I'm running in a very different kind of place that looks like this:
    Attachment 17838

It's pretty, to be sure, but there's a lot of landmines (dog poop) from unleashed dogs running around, and it's hot and sticky. Last winter when we were here I ran mostly at the track, but there is NO shade there, and at least this MUT has quite a few areas of shade at the time I run (mornings).
    Holy cow that looks hot. No shade at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Holy cow that looks hot. No shade at all.
    Oh, I took this photo later in the day. I can't remember why because it's from last year -- probably doing a bike ride? When I run at around 7:30 am, there is a lot of shade because the sun is low in the sky. Also, on many parts of this path, there are buildings on the right side that provide shade.

That said, it is still very warm even with shade. It's usually in the upper 70s when I head out around 7:30 am, and the humidity is very high since it's highest in the morning. The humidity would be a little lower later, but there'd be less shade and more heat, so I continue running when I do.
    Emily

So I am off from school this week. I did a short run yesterday morning on the rail trail. My second favorite place to run if I cannot be in the woods. I kept it short and easy because we are signed up to race on Sunday, a 10k trail race with lots and lots of punchy, rooty climbs. My right calf is barking at me, so I ran a little and stop to stretch and ran a bit more and stretched. It was tough to baby it because I felt good otherwise and just wanted to go, go, go. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise holding me back a bit for Sunday. I really hope it settles down before the race. I hate racing with a niggle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail trail.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	17839  

Good luck on Sunday and have fun!

That's a beautiful rail-trail, RnR. I hope your cranky calf will be happier during your race.

My Achilles is still not 100% but is a lot better than it was, so I am doing just a little running a couple of times a week after a long walking warm-up. Tuesday I ran close to 2 miles out of my 3-mile walk, so that was good. Not even wearing my GPS as I don't want to think about speed or anything. Just enjoying the cardio and taking it slowly.
    Emily

That's a beautiful rail-trail, RnR. I hope your cranky calf will be happier during your race.

My Achilles is still not 100% but is a lot better than it was, so I am doing just a little running a couple of times a week after a long walking warm-up. Tuesday I ran close to 2 miles out of my 3-mile walk, so that was good. Not even wearing my GPS as I don't want to think about speed or anything. Just enjoying the cardio and taking it slowly.
    I just got in from testing the cranky calf waters and it seems to have calmed down. At least on flat roads. So if I behave and talk nicely to it I may just be good to go for Sunday. I am glad your achilles is feeling better.

Survived my trail race today. It is a tough course. Punchy climbs and descents with lots of roots. It is a state park so they built stairs on lots of the steep climbs and I am not sure if that is better or worse for short legs. I was slower than last time I raced it, but I knew that would be the case. But I ran a solid race and none of my niggles bothered me. I did come home with a very sore instep on my right foot. Not during, started barking after. Not sure what that is about, but it feels like the meaty part of the foot so I am sure it is just trail weary.

I have not seen the full results yet, so I have no idea how I stacked up to the rest of the runners, not sure I care too much at the moment.

Yay, RnR, you did it! Hope the instep thing doesn't bother for long.
    Emily

Foot felt fine yesterday. So back to normal. My legs were a bit tired day after and my stomach is always a bit wonky day after. So all is normal. I am going to try and do a slow easy recovery run today. On to the next one!

Good, RnR!

I'm healed from my Achilles problem, I think. I haven't been using a GPS lately because I get too competitive with myself when I do, but I managed to run farther today than I have since I got injured -- maybe 2.5 miles? Plus a mile or so of walking. No pain. I'm making sure to take it slow and easy. I'll probably start using the GPS again Thursday if I don't have any after-effects from today.
    Emily

Good, RnR!

I'm healed from my Achilles problem, I think. I haven't been using a GPS lately because I get too competitive with myself when I do, but I managed to run farther today than I have since I got injured -- maybe 2.5 miles? Plus a mile or so of walking. No pain. I'm making sure to take it slow and easy. I'll probably start using the GPS again Thursday if I don't have any after-effects from today.
    Em,
    Glad to hear your Achilles is better. I hate having niggles. I got in a nice 4 mile recovery run yesterday. It was raining so I had the rail trail to myself. Only passes 2 other people. Legs felt ok, stomach was blechy, but that happens sometimes when I run in the afternoon. it will get better as the weather gets cooler. it was pretty sticky yesterday for running and I was over dressed.

Finally got last Sunday's race results. I placed 5th out of 26 in my age group. Not too bad. If I had run the same time as three years ago, I would have been in second place. Something to work on for next year. I was a min/mile slower. I knew I would be. I was a trail running beast ( well as beastly as an old, slow middle of the packer can be) last time I did the race. Time to find that beast again

I got out for another easy, rainy 4 miler yesterday, feeling pretty good and recovered in spite of 2 really hard yoga classes this week. Ready for tomorrow's longish trail run. Ok...off to work I go, time to impart knowledge of noncyclic photophosphorylation to a herd of very smart teens.

That's really good RnR! And the fact that you raced faster before, I'm sure you can get that back!

I'm running about 1 min/mile slower now since my Achilles injury. Really taking it easy but just very glad to be running again. Yesterday I did wear the GPS, and out of my 3.5 mile total, I walked the first .75, then ran 2.5, then walked .25. Felt good! Just happy to be back at it and not even thinking about speed at all. :-)
    Emily