Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was sidelined by a persistant hamstring problem, but I've been doing short, slow runs on the rail trail. The weather is spectacular, the trees are gorgeous, and I wish I could be out there longer. I guess that is what dog walks are for.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Emily, eccentric heel drops have saved me from chronic Achilles issues more than once. I try to do them on a regular basis now. I have chronically tight calves from being a forefoot/toe runner that runs up mountains a lot, and this leads to a cranky Achilles every now and again.

Oak, half the battle (OK, maybe more than half) is just getting out there. Nice work.

I did my last race of the year over the weekend. Time to do something else now (let it snow!). This race was my first experience with a timed event. Originally I nuttily thought I might do 24 hours but actually got smart for once and opted for the 12 hour event. I took it pretty easy, didn't really have a goal (I went to do the race with a friend who is new to trail running and new to ultra running so I wasn't really there to race). Tiny, local event in Morristown, Tennessee. Great weather, great organization, super fun crowd, and pleasant rolling course. I ended up doing 59 miles in 12 hours. I had time for one more lap but just didn't feel like it. I'm pretty happy with the result considering I didn't even think or feel like I was racing. It's all about who shows up and how many show up. I won the whole shebang. I'm pretty sure that is the first and last time in my life that will happen. My friend did great--her longest run ever (and she is already talking about her next race in November). And I had a great visit to Tennessee and North Carolina. The weather was beautiful and the hard cider was tasty.

Come December I have to start thinking about running again since many of the race lotteries open on Jan 1. I'll just read about all of you running until then!

For myself anyway, it's just as important to do the concentric (raise) phase one-legged and without hanging onto anything (fingertips for balance if needed) - that sets up good alignment in my feet and calves, that I don't get if I just get onto my tiptoes however and then try to do the lowers. YMMV.

Yellow, great work!!! Congratulations!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Emily, eccentric heel drops have saved me from chronic Achilles issues more than once. I try to do them on a regular basis now. I have chronically tight calves from being a forefoot/toe runner that runs up mountains a lot, and this leads to a cranky Achilles every now and again.
    I've actually been doing these since I got injured. Google was my friend and I found this very site online! Thanks, though. They don't hurt at all and actually don't feel like I'm doing much of anything, but perhaps they are helping. We do a lot of toe raises and calf stretching in the 3x a week yoga practice I go to, tons of downward dogs (and I can always touch my heels to the floor, no problem), so I am not sure that tight calves is my issue. I think I was over-striding in my first attempt at speedwork. Coupled with the many, many stair climbs I have to do daily because of where we live, I think it was just too much.

Congratulations on your race. I can't even begin to fathom 59 miles. You are amazing!!!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I didn't have any trouble, but I'd been wearing Lems (minimal shoes) for everything except running for at least a year before I got my first pair of Altras, so my ankles were already used to full flexion.
    I might be okay, then. I never wear anything with a heel (haven't for years) and live in flat flip-flops here. And in yoga, we do lots and lots of calf stretching. I am quite flexible there, no problem with downward dog or any of the other moves requiring full flexion.

I did a little research and saw that there are some shoes that have 4-6mm drop (my current shoes have 11mm, I also discovered), so something in the moderate range but not zero drop might be a good compromise when it's time to buy my next pair of running shoes. I have narrow feet so always have a bit of trouble finding shoes that work well for me. Current shoe is Asics GT-2000.

Thanks!
    Emily

I get a lot of benefit from focusing on the same foot placement cues that we get in yoga, while I'm running. Four corners of the feet (or three, whichever way you're used to - though for me, thinking four corners sets up better forefoot-to-hindfoot alignment rather than just letting the heel point however), suck in the arches, second toe straight ahead. It's not easy for me, trying to bring studio cueing to 90 spm, but I think that's a lot of what's helped me avoid and heal from injuries.

And when all else fails, kinesio tape in a simple wishbone pattern - I'll try to find a link to how I tape mine.

ETA - this isn't exactly how I do mine, but pretty close. I would emphasize, keep the ankle in full flexion and in good alignment (not pronated or supinated) while applying it, zero stretch, and definitely round off the corners at the proximal ends too (closest to the knee), those are the ends that start coming off first.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 10-20-2015 at 05:28 AM.

Oakleaf, that sounds like a rough race, but a good attitude. A friend of mine once said that the joy and accomplishment of running races should be found in the training that leads up to the race. The race, then, becomes a surprise...hopefully a bonus on top of the training, sometimes great and sometimes not.

Thanks! Hope your hammie heals up soon. Glad you're able to get out for a little, anyway.

Just got in from the Tuesday long( ish) , easy run. Just 6.6 today on the rail trail as easy as I could keep it. My legs are pretty tired from this past w/e, so I just tried to let my mind drift away and keep on trudging. The weather was not too bad, a tad warmer than I like but no humidity and we were in the shade. My husband ran with me the whole time today, so the company was nice. Most days he warms up with me and then takes off at his own pace.

My stomach has been cranky on my after work runs, so I have been experimenting with taking a pre-run snack about an hour before. Today I wore my running pack and had water and a gel half way, and it seemed to work. At least for today. My lunch is at 10:15 am and we usually do not run until almost 4, so I think the extra crankiness is because it may be too empty.

I just got dinner in the oven ( stuffed peppers) so now it is just a matter of trying not to eat my show while I wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    My lunch is at 10:15 am and we usually do not run until almost 4, so I think the extra crankiness is because it may be too empty.
    I should say! I would be dying with that schedule. I have to have some sort of snack every few hours. I have pretty fast metabolism. If you had lunch at 12:15, six hours later would be dinner time (at least for many of us). Lunch at 10:15 is hard for me to imagine...what time do you eat breakfast?
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I should say! I would be dying with that schedule. I have to have some sort of snack every few hours. I have pretty fast metabolism. If you had lunch at 12:15, six hours later would be dinner time (at least for many of us). Lunch at 10:15 is hard for me to imagine...what time do you eat breakfast?
    Emily,
    I am up at 4:20 most mornings, work out or do an extra yoga practice until 5am. Breakfast is at 5. Lunch at 10:15. My schedule changes daily because I teach a lab science. But I usually have a small snack before lunch at school, and then something between lunch and the end of the day at 2:30. I try and front load if I can because eating anything before I run can cause issues. That is why I am experimenting with pre-run snacks. I have finally found something that will sit.

I too have to eat every few hours. I am a mess if my blood sugar drops. My work schedule really does not fit my body at all. ( she says 28 years later...)

So needless to say after the pm run, or cycle or yoga, I want my dinner

Signed,
    hungry in NJ

And Yellow....my brain is still trying to process the 59 miles

Ah, the life of a teacher.
    It took me a few years to retrain my body not to want lunch at 11:08. The thing is, I still get up at 4:30- 5-ish a couple of days a week, and really, not later than 6 other days. However, I don't get to work until 9 or 10 and 2/3 days I work until 6 or 7. It's hard to go to bed at 9, when you get home at 7:30. And, it's wreaked havoc on my work out schedule. This is why I changed gyms, so I wasn't getting up for boot camp on the days I don't work. And no more after work rides. However, I do ride at 5 AM, which some think is crazy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Where did I leave off? The Disneyland Half over Labor Day weekend was a blast! Cut 15 min off last year's time (remember I only just took up running last year, so there was a lot of room for improvement). Then I jetted off to visit my dad in the Netherlands for a week, and got a few short runs in there - love running below sea level! From there, things kind of went downhill. I felt puny after I got home (actually took a sick day which I haven't done in years), tried to get a long run in the weekend after I got back before I was fully recovered, but it felt horrible - no energy and my IT band started acting up. WTH? I hadn't had any IT band issues whatsoever for over a year, and that was the other leg. But I had Lake Powell coming, and was really looking forward to that one and didn't want to cancel since this was my girls' trip. I limited myself to a few short runs after that. As LP got closer, I tried to rest, foam roll, stretch and take ibuprofen with the hope I would at least finish & enjoy the race.

So race day comes around, and many, many things went right - I finally figured out the nutrition/hydration thing, the weather was fabulously cool, my clothing choices were right on, the course was gorgeous, didn't need a lot of cardio effort because it was a mostly gentle downhill course. What did not go well was my IT band - it started getting cranky around mile 4 and was absolutely furious by mile 10, when I had to concede and walk the rest of the way. If it had been a training run I would have bailed & called for a ride, and much sooner. But there was so much beautiful scenery to enjoy, and it was a fun crowd there in the back of the pack! I don't regret doing the race, but would love to do it again when I'm healthy. My knee still hurts, so I won't be running for a while. Planning on a lot of strength training this winter to build up hip and glute strength to try & address this thing.

But I can highly recommend the Lake Powell Half - fabulous race in a beautiful setting and well-organized. Only about 1300 participants this year - what a breath of fresh air after Disney (which had more than 20,000). Here's a peek at the photographer's video.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Emily,
    I am up at 4:20 most mornings, work out or do an extra yoga practice until 5am. Breakfast is at 5. Lunch at 10:15.
    Ah, okay, that makes sense then. I am about two hours behind you on everything. :-D
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    But I can highly recommend the Lake Powell Half - fabulous race in a beautiful setting and well-organized. Only about 1300 participants this year - what a breath of fresh air after Disney (which had more than 20,000). Here's a peek at the photographer's video.
    OMG, this looks like an absolutely amazing place to run! I checked out the website and the course elevation, and I sure do like the gradual downhill-ness of it. Sorry you weren't totally healthy for it, but the scenery does look worth finishing since you were able to walk. Just lovely!

Hope you heal up quickly and thanks for the report!
    Emily