Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hot Yoga

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been working out with my personal trainer for 18 years, we've gone to happy hours and concerts together and the first long bike ride I did was with him, and he still doesn't touch me to correct something without saying something first.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    Our instructors never ask before they correct or add to a pose, and I am always welcome to them doing it. To me it is not "being corrected", it is enhancing and furthering the pose.

Emily don't look at it as a negative thing. When you were a teacher, did you help your students? Of course you did.
    I've never been a teacher (well, maybe a couple of lunch-n-learns at work, and some mentoring and training, and the principle is the same), but I totally agree...I should not even think of my yoga instructor's hands-on as being correction but an enhancement. I do try to think that way, but this is something we perfectionists struggle with...we think we should be perfect. LOL!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I've never been a teacher (well, maybe a couple of lunch-n-learns at work, and some mentoring and training, and the principle is the same), but I totally agree...I should not even think of my yoga instructor's hands-on as being correction but an enhancement. I do try to think that way, but this is something we perfectionists struggle with...we think we should be perfect. LOL!
    Now why did I think you were a teacher? hmmm...

I get why people would be uncomfortable with it. I HATE strangers touching me. I guess my teachers do not fall into that category. Normally if there is someone new in class our instructors have a private chat with them before we start, so maybe they get it sorted out then? Sometimes we partner up and spot each other in class too, so I guess most of us are ok with it?

I am not sure why some of these things bother me. I love the physical and emotional parts of yoga and the way I feel after class, but some of the yoga vibe, i.e. the voice, the affectations about calling the floor the "earth," just seem annoying. For some reason, I am very highly attuned to stuff like this. I try to shut it out, and mostly I do. This was the first teacher that made me feel this way, since I rejoined the club. Overall, the classes are much better than they were 6 years ago, and there is a noticeable emphasis on yoga at the club. And the touching part, well, I am also highly attuned to teaching practices, something that is kind of ingrained after 30+ years as an educator and 10 years teaching fitness classes. The private chat before, for a new person, really should happen all of the time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Went to class today, with the instructor who did the yoga and weights class I went to. I like her. I started sweating in the middle of class... it regularly happens at the same time point each class, even with different instructors. I really made an effort to focus only on the poses. In fact, I ditched a rescheduled group ride to go and was happy I did.
    When I got home, I still wanted to be outside, so I suited up and went for a nice 11 mile ride, just to be in nature.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I will be heading back to the yoga studio tomorrow morning for the first time since Nov. 30th, since we've been traveling. I am looking forward to it but am sure I am going to be sore since I haven't done anything but lots of walking (and wielding my backpack that I travel with) for a week now). I always get a little nervous when I take a break since the practices are so hard, but I'm sure I'll survive. I hope!

Glad you're sticking with it, Crankin. Not sure if I know the 'yoga voice' you mention, as all my instructors have sounded different, but I'm just lucky to understand them at all since I'm taking classes taught in Spanish now.
    Emily

I give you a lot of credit, Emily. I know enough Spanish that I would understand "get on the floor," or stand up, but since I don't even understand the yoga names for a lot of poses, I would most certainly be looking at the instructor or others for cues!
    I am very sore from the sub we had in circuit training yesterday and I really need to go to yoga this morning. However, I have to go to a meeting for one of my clients at her school. Normally, I don't work on Fridays, but I really need to be there. Might do some home practice before I go and do a slow ride this afternoon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I give you a lot of credit, Emily. I know enough Spanish that I would understand "get on the floor," or stand up, but since I don't even understand the yoga names for a lot of poses, I would most certainly be looking at the instructor or others for cues!
    Oh, I do! I also studied up before I went and in between classes for the first few weeks. Found some sites online with yoga terms in Spanish and memorized a few basic body parts (arms, legs, hands, feet, neck, spine, head, etc.) Over time I got so used to the phrasing the normal instructor uses, I can almost always follow what he's doing, but sometimes he tries something different and I have to watch him very closely, or others in the class if he starts walking around. It's much more challenging when a guest instructor comes in, as they can have different phrasing, and I have to watch them and other students more closely. But I have picked up a lot!

Also, he uses mostly the Sanscrit names for poses, so those are the same as a class in English (and I still only know a few of them no matter how long I take; they just don't stick with me). He will throw in a few of the "common" names for poses (like gato, for instance), but not all the time.

For me, the scariest thing was just getting up my nerve to go that very first time or two, with my limited Spanish. I was intimidated as all get out, but I was kind of proud of myself for doing it and sticking with it.

The most frustrating part of it is the socializing after class, when people start talking fast in Spanish -- I can only pick up a word here or there. Fortunately, during the instruction phase, the speaking is slower (maybe part of that "yoga voice" you mention), so I can catch more. And so much of it is context.

I didn't do too badly today, considering, and it has been cooler, so that helped. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow, though! At least I have until Monday to recover.
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 12-11-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Emily

Went to yoga today, and DH came with me.
    I am so glad I went, as all of the horrible soreness I had from the sub for circuit training on Thursday is now gone. I did a recovery home practice on Friday, but my hamstrings and groin were hurting so much, I could barely move when I went to bed. I rode 32 miles Saturday, and it was OK, but I felt really stiff and still some pain/soreness. Everything is perfectly fine now! I can't figure out what hurt me so much; I can understand the upper body soreness, but I don't remember doing any exercises that would have stressed my hamstrings so much.
    DH did fine, although he is always one step behind the instructor. I made myself not look, which wasn't too hard, despite the fact he was right next to me.
    Hopefully, I'll get to class more this week.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura