Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Yoga

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just learned a new word.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I just learned a new word.
    Attachment 17842
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I went to the same yoga class today. You can see the rides thread about my ride there!
    The class was great. I even managed to do Crow pose for a second.
    Now I have to figure out how to add in another class, without giving up anything else.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It finally happened. I cried during yoga. Apparently it's a pretty common phenomenon.

The good thing about crying during hot yoga though is that it mixes with the sweat and no one can tell.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    It finally happened. I cried during yoga. Apparently it's a pretty common phenomenon.

The good thing about crying during hot yoga though is that it mixes with the sweat and no one can tell.

That has happened to me before. Several times. Just bubbles up.

I took a new class last night. It is designed for bone health, which is not why I took. Time slot and teacher attracted me, but I think I have found my new Monday class. Everything is done slowly with a big focus on alignment and the you hold and breathe. It is based on a program that an ortho/yogi guy put together. So once we build up, there will be a warm up and then just 12 strengthening poses that we hold. It was pretty cool and very hard. But I love that whole combo of long holds and lots of focus on alignment.

Long holds are the hardest! I often start shaking a lot, especially in my lower legs, ankles, feet, making it hard to hold onto the pose. I'm not sure why I shake so much as I'm certainly stronger now than when I started. I've been going to this practice for a year, though I took several months off when we went back to the US for May-July.

My instructor is very, very big on alignment and proper breathing. He is so good about reminding us over and over to breath, and does lots of hands-on corrections to help us open our hips or shoulders or whatever the pose requires.

Yoga is so difficult at times, but I love to challenge myself and am very glad I started going. Don't think I've cried yet, though I know it is supposed to be a way to release emotions. That must happen with other exercise as well, because I sure cried a lot while running or cycling for a long time after losing my dad, but I haven't had too much very sad happen to me since then (and I feel very fortunate since that was 10 years ago!)
    Emily

Just came home from a great (and hard) class. The class wasn't hard because of the poses; there was only one I couldn't do. It was the holding and the pacing. And for a couple of minutes, I truly thought I was in hot yoga. I think what's happened is that the instructors turn up the heat a bit, even in regular classes. I started sweating, well, more like perspiring, and during a tiny transition, I drank a ton of water, which stopped the continual sweating feeling. I wasn't dizzy, or anything, but it came on so suddenly, I got nervous. Anyway, it was a different instructor, I liked her a lot. It made me happy that I skipped the group ride. And, I saw someone in the class, that I used to teach with, at a gym, for the first 6 years I lived here. It feels weird to say that I've known her for 25 years... and that's not even from my childhood.
    They are adding more yoga, which is good.
    And now, I am going out for a hike on the trail, to continue my good feeling.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We had a guest instructor today -- or someone new to the studio, I'm not sure yet. He was TOUGH! I thought our usual instructor was hard, but this guy took it to a new level. I have never sweat so much, shaked so much, or had to stop to rest as often as I did today. There wasn't as much stretching or meditation as our usual instructor. Newguy held poses forever, and we had very little rest time until the very end *pant pant.*

Afterwards, I was talking to our usual instructor (who owns the studio), and he explained that this class had been "Power Vinyasa"! Uh...who knew? I would have died if this had been my first class. I've been going pretty religiously for 9 months, and I felt like a newbie today.

OTOH, this was a great class for strength. Even my legs, which are strong, were very challenged. I hope this instructor will be returning because what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?!?
    Emily

I went to a "yoga and weights" class on Wednesday. A new instructor to the club. She was very good, but yoga did not feel like yoga with the addition of weights. She teaches 2 other classes, so I will eventually check them out.
    Going to spin today, instead of yoga. So, I had one week where I got to yoga twice, but unless I give up somethig else, I think once might be it. That might change when the cycling season is in full swing, though, in the spring.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I went to a "yoga and weights" class on Wednesday. A new instructor to the club. She was very good, but yoga did not feel like yoga with the addition of weights. She teaches 2 other classes, so I will eventually check them out.
    Going to spin today, instead of yoga. So, I had one week where I got to yoga twice, but unless I give up somethig else, I think once might be it. That might change when the cycling season is in full swing, though, in the spring.
    That was the main reason I didn't stick with yoga when I tried it years ago. I would have to give up another activity in order to do it regularly. Maybe someday I will do that, but for now I like my other activities.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have decided to take a break from my studio for a little bit and practice at home. I am increasing my trail running miles for a race in the spring and going to yoga at the studio on the days between running is not giving me enough recovery time. Home practice will allow me more control over the timing and difficulty of the session.

Also my fall has been very stressful at school and the feeling of "having to go to class" to get my monies worth is adding more stress which makes no sense. I practiced faithfully at home for 9 months last year before I bit the bullet and joined the studio. I can do that again until next spring.

Went to class today, after 5 days of serious working out, for both fun and to ward off the holiday pounds. I woke up really stiff and sore from tabata I did yesterday. The class was great, but I felt it today. So, yoga was really the best choice for me. It was a different teacher. She was good, but I found myself looking at the clock. She repeated a lot of stuff, which got me antsy. As usual, it was packed. At one point she came over and corrected my plank, I was like huh?, as I was taught you always ask before touching someone for a correction. And, not sure what was wrong. Another time she came over and asked me if I wanted a block. I hate using blocks, can't for the life of me, get used to sitting on a hard thing, and I don't need them for the flexibility part. I am not against them, as they're a great tool for those who need them to extend their stretches. We were in some triangle pose when she asked, and I was clearly fully extended, with my palm on the ground, not doing any modifications. Guess I was feeling picked on. I wouldn't think twice if someone tried to give me help with balance poses, but this felt weird. None the less, I came home feeling great and my back feels better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My instructor never asks before he touches us to correct, but his corrections, when given, are always appropriate and helpful. I do get a little embarrassed when he corrects me as I am sensitive to criticism, but I know he is trying to help. Normally he corrects the newer people to his practice more than I am corrected, but he also does more of that when the class is very small. For example, today there were only four of us, and he corrected me several times, but he also praised me at least as many times. I try not to take the corrections personally, though sometimes it is hard not to!
    Emily

Our instructors never ask before they correct or add to a pose, and I am always welcome to them doing it. To me it is not "being corrected", it is enhancing and furthering the pose.

Emily don't look at it as a negative thing. When you were a teacher, did you help your students? Of course you did.

I was the teacher...
    I just wish she told me why she was correcting me. How can I change something if I don't know what to change. She sort of put her hands on me and flattened my back, but in actuality, I was giving myself a momentary stretch up. I can hold a plank for a minute, bt I was so sore from other stuff, I may have been taking a little teeny break. I think it comes down to the fact that I don't like being touched by strangers, and a verbal cue would probably work much better. Or, a verbal warning, followed by the hands on correction. Obviously, I am not looking around during class, and when she touched me, it scared the sh!t out of me, as I didn't even know she was near me! Perhaps there is a difference in the way yoga instrucors are taught, compared to group exercise instructors. When you think about it, touching someone in this situation could be very upsetting to some. I just don't like it. This doesn't mean I won't go back or anything, and I generally am a stickler for form in anything I do, but it felt off-putting. She also had that "yoga voice." It kind of bugs me, which I know is immature, but really, why do all instructors have to sound the same? That's the kind of stuff that keeps people away. I use several pre-recorded meditations or visualizations with my clients, and I always joke about the therapist voice. It's about the same as the yoga voice. When I guide them through these things, I am speaking more quietly than usual, but I work hard to still sound like myself.
    This might seem silly, but stuff like this really seems to affect me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura